Slow forum

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vogon13

Site is still running well for me at a nice cadence. The repair or adjustment is much appreciated. You can't imagine how nice it is to be able to log on or make a post or view a post in seconds instead of minutes!

Any chance of finding out what the crucial knob twiddle turned out to be ??

:D

M

MeteorWayne

Since you are the only one that always reported a slow forum, it's likely that the knob that was twiddled was on your end.

I, like most others, have rare slowdowns when there are problems, which occur in any computer system.

I do know that the servers have recently been replaced with faster ones, but that has made no noticeable change in posting speed from here.

V

vogon13

No, I don't think so.

My lack of computer skills is well documented, I never mess with the machine. My PC consistently, for years I might add, worked just fine everywhere else but here, and as you may have noted, consequently I just quit posting here much. With my computer working fine everywhere else, what possible motivation would I have had to muck around with the my PC settings and run the risk of having the 'slows' spread to my beloved Landover Baptist, or the sublime AVSForum ??

I also note, the change in posting speed here was simultaneous with SDC fixing some other problems.

Also, I think upon reflection, you might realize I was not the only one afflicted with the 'slows' here. I was just the only one with the problem that persisted in snarking about it till the SDC IT department (apparently inadvertently) fixed it. Any new candidate making their first few posts here that experienced the 'slows' did not bother sticking around.

Might be why the posting rate here never recovered to it's pre-Pluckitarianism levels.

STTA . . . . .

M

MeteorWayne

I do need to correct one thing...it is blazing fast today. Rather than 2 or 3 seconds for each action, it's more like a second.

V

vogon13

MeteorWayne":2zvm03z9 said:
I do need to correct one thing...it is blazing fast today. Rather than 2 or 3 seconds for each action, it's more like a second.

What settings did you change on your PC??

:?:

M

MeteorWayne

None. That change is most likely due to the faster servers at SDC. But the change from 2 or 3 seconds to 1 or 2 is just a pleasant increase, barely noticeable if I hadn't looked hard...it certainly isn't like what you were having before.

D

doublehelix

Indeed, the new servers are faster, so you should see an increase in speed. If there are major slowdowns, feel free to post here. :cool:

-dh

Status
Not open for further replies.