Solar Eclipse from Plane - HELP!

Feb 21, 2024
Visit site
HELP! I’m on the advertised delta LAX-DFW flight to catch the solar eclipse - which side of the plane do I need to be on? I can’t be on the wrong side! I assumed right side, but left side is almost full and I’m so scared!

The good thing about the airplane is you're above the clouds. None of the eclipse path is safe. Plus, cloud cover estimates do not include the fact that the air will cool as the partial eclipse proceeds. I went to Baja in July '91. Middle of the desert, clear blue skies. Cloud cover came out of nowhere as it got close. Still was able to see it OK, but through a thin layer. Central US in April has moisture everywhere. Don't get your hopes up too high.

HELP! I’m on the advertised delta LAX-DFW flight to catch the solar eclipse - which side of the plane do I need to be on? I can’t be on the wrong side! I assumed right side, but left side is almost full and I’m so scared!
Off Mexico, the right side will be far better than the left. During totality the azimuth is 120 deg. (ESE) and the altitude is high (~ 70 deg.). But the totality width is about 120 miles, so, no doubt, the pilot will be able to zig zag to allow viewing for both sides. However, to allow the left side to view the eclipse, the plane will have to travel in the opposite direction of the motion of the Moon's shadow, which greatly diminishes the viewing time.

It's possible they plan to have people switch sides to extend the viewing time, thus no zig zagging, but people can become more like cats when herding is required. :)

They should post what viewing times will be available before you buy a ticket.

Reactions: Solareclipsefan
The good thing about the airplane is you're above the clouds. None of the eclipse path is safe. Plus, cloud cover estimates do not include the fact that the air will cool as the partial eclipse proceeds. I went to Baja in July '91. Middle of the desert, clear blue skies. Cloud cover came out of nowhere as it got close. Still was able to see it OK, but through a thin layer. Central US in April has moisture everywhere. Don't get your hopes up too high.
The other advantage is the extended viewing time due to the speed of the plane. The eclipse path speed is almost 1600 mph, so 600 mph speed should extend the total viewing time to perhaps 6 minutes.

The 70 deg. altitude is a bit high. Will the pilot tilt the plane to port to greatly improve the view? If so, can the yaw compensate it enough to minimize the net travel speed reduction?

Feb 21, 2024
Visit site
Off Mexico, the right side will be far better than the left. During totality the azimuth is 120 deg. (ESE) and the altitude is high (~ 70 deg.). But the totality width is about 120 miles, so, no doubt, the pilot will be able to zig zag to allow viewing for both sides. However, to allow the left side to view the eclipse, the plane will have to travel in the opposite direction of the motion of the Moon's shadow, which greatly diminishes the viewing time.

It's possible they plan to have people switch sides to extend the viewing time, thus no zig zagging, but people can become more like cats when herding is required. :)

They should post what viewing times will be available before you buy a ticket.
Thank you soooo much!!! Secured the last seat on the right 💕💕💕

Latest posts