Solar system formation theories

Sep 8, 2021
Visit site
Hello, i am new here, just joined & i was looking for some articles about how the solar system formed & about the popular planetary formation theories in our solar system.
no luck so far, any help. I would appreciate that.

Go to the home page of this site and do a search for solar system formation. I saw at least one article that fit the bill. Also, go to Wikipedia : Formation and evolution of the Solar System. You then can follow up with the references and ‘see also’ at the end, these are where the information for the article came from and additional information. Haven’t looked, but, betcha the NASA and JPL sites have some good stuff, too.

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
If you want to get into it, I would recommend you to listen to youtube lectures. Definitely, not all of them are great, but the video itself explains a lot. Good material to rewatch and learn from it, but in general, just move from the first links of googling a bit further. Namely, the SpaceX and NASA forums will be definitely great (they have specific topics for your question)

Hello, i am new here, just joined & i was looking for some articles about how the solar system formed & about the popular planetary formation theories in our solar system.
no luck so far, any help. I would appreciate that.
Feel free to ask any question you wish about formation theories. It is a broad field, so perhaps you have some specific questions?

Here is a website the lists several hundred scientific articles dedicated to star formation (and planets). It is, admittedly, discontinued, but the information is still relatively fresh.

To get you started, since you seem to be at an entry level (forgive me if I'm wrong)....

1) Per the Big Bang model, hydrogen and helium form (tiny trace elements as well)
2) Clouds form due to slightly more dense regions (anisotropy)
3) Something triggers rapid fragmentation of a number of the clouds and these collapse into protostars, which become stars.
4) Proto stars are formed but these are very massive (only H & He)
5) Disks surround all forming stars, though first star formations are beyond our telescopic powers, so far.
6) These first stars produce (by fusion) heavy elements like C, N, O, Si, etc.
7) These elements get blown into other clouds
8) The next generation of stars form from these clouds
9) Many of these clouds fragment and more stars are born
10) These protostars will have disks and these may have enough dust to form terrestrial planets, as well as, gas and ice giants.
11) These stars (Pop II) blow more heavier elements into the clouds
12) A number of these clouds, as you might guess, fragment. More terrestrial planets are likely to form in the star's disk (accretion disk) due to the higher composition of metals (anything heavier then He).
13) These are the Pop I stars, which include our Sun.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021
Visit site
Go to the home page of this site and do a search for solar system formation. I saw at least one article that fit the bill. Also, go to Wikipedia : Formation and evolution of the Solar System. You then can follow up with the references indigocard and ‘see also’ at the end, these are where the information for the article came from and additional information. Haven’t looked, but, betcha the NASA and JPL sites have some good stuff, too.

This works really well for us, thank you! Facing same concern here. Help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts