South Korea launched its first satellite Aug 25th

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matthewota

Re: Korea to launch its first rocket August 19

You should have titled it SOUTH Korea to launch its first rocket August 19. There are two separate and very different Koreas, you know.

M

MeteorWayne

That's an important enough point that I have adjusted the title to reflect the precise country.

Meteor Wayne

M

mithridates

Launch is still going ahead today at 5 pm in Korea, and fuel insertion will begin at 3 pm. Launch time would be 4 am in New York, 9 am in London. Looks like most people on this site (besides Australia etc.) will be asleep when it happens.

I'm also following the launch and the reaction afterwards on Page F30, where I might translate some content from Korean after the launch and see how the country reacts as a whole to the launch if it turns out to be successful. Korea until now hasn't been all that interested in space, no wonder since it wasn't even until recently that they had even been able to send anyone from Korea there.

Another site to keep an eye on is this one run by a friend of mine here (originally from Pittsburgh), because he lives very near the launch site (a city called Suncheon) and has also been keeping an eye on the launch preparations. I think we should pester him to go visit there directly to take some photographs and talk to people at the space centre in Goheung. It would take me most of the day just to get down there from Seoul where I am.

M

mithridates

Re: South Korea to launch its first rocket August 19

A press conference was given this morning where it turns out that the official reason for the shutdown was an error in the software used to monitor the pressure of the high-pressure tank in the automatic sequence.

M

MeteorWayne

Any announcement of a rescheduled time and date?

M

mithridates

MeteorWayne":1qubf7md said:
Any announcement of a rescheduled time and date?

Checking...

there it is. They're tentatively going to try to get it launched by the 26th, and will be announcing the exact planned launch date at a conference tomorrow. On the news last night the Russian team seemed pretty confident that it was a minor matter while the Koreans were (naturally) much more stressed out.

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, the first launch is stressful :)

W

webtaz99

"South Korea to launch its first rocket August 19".

Or not.

M

MeteorWayne

According to Spaceflightnow:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

The launch has been rescheduled for a few hours after the STS 128 launch.

Launch time: Approx. 0740-0920 GMT (3:40-5:20 a.m. EDT)
Launch site: Naro Space Center, South Korea

M

mithridates

Three hours left and no problems so far. I'm liveblogging this one as well as soon as I get back from feeding my cats at the temple (probably about at hour before launch).

M

mithridates

Well, the launch was a success and they made it look easy. I liveblogged the launch here. We still have to wait 13 hours for communication with the satellite though so it won't be until then that the launch is a complete success, but so far it went off without a hitch except for maybe an orbit that was a tad high.

M

mithridates

Uh oh, looks like the "tad high" orbit actually means a 342 km orbit instead of the planned 306 km altitude. Everybody on the news on TV now is sad now about the satellite.

F

freya

Although it may compromise mission objectives, better than an orbit a "tad low" ;) Well done. Thanks for the updates mithridates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts