Space Rocks Now Classified, Impact on Research and Updates

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xXTheOneRavenXx

It seems as seen in this new article by Leonard David http://www.space.com/news/090703-military-fireballs-data.html that the military may have realized how many scientists they, well in lay man's terms "pissed off" by halting this data and decided at least to temporarily pull in their horns. Yes, over time scientists were granted certain information about meteorites, fireballs, etc... but I'm sure they must realize that it is the tax payer who initially funds their projects. The military doesn't just magically acquire money. It almost always comes from the tax payer. When large civilian organizations complain, especially ones with the status some of these civilian ones have, they are heard loud and clear by the higher-up's. It is up to these individuals if they choose to ignore them or not. However when it hits the media then if the military cannot come up with reasonable justification for their actions they tend to save-face. I think Leonard deserves a round of the finest ale money can buy for breaking this story. It obviously showed that many, many news agencies are interested in the topic, and how much support the scientific community can expect from the public... all this because of Leonard David's work. Well done *raises glass* :)

M

MeteorWayne

Kudos to Leonard David for following up on the issue and getting a semi official response. Chalk one up for Space.com!

M

MartianBoogie

I submitted four questions to the questions@neo.jpl.nasa.gov email link at the NASA NEO Program a couple of days ago related to this subject after noticing that the Close Approach tables seemed to list fewer NEO's in the single digits of miss distance (LD) than in the prior months. I haven't heard back from them yet and may not ever. I believe that some of my questions were answered in this forum. However, one of particular concern was not.

The simple issue is NASA's ability to remove objects from it's Close Approach and Impact Risk tables after an object impacts or skips-off of our atmosphere. I suppose the data had already been used to rationally determine where in the sky to best aim our search devises. It also seems like the data may be used to draw conclusions as to what direction an NEO came from if an impact pattern becomes apparent.

Wouldn't that data come in handy in the case of several smaller NEO's coming from the same vector indicating and possibly leading to the earlier discovery of a larger threat?

M

MeteorWayne

MartianBoogie":12gip4y5 said:
I submitted four questions to the questions@neo.jpl.nasa.gov email link at the NASA NEO Program a couple of days ago related to this subject after noticing that the Close Approach tables seemed to list fewer NEO's in the single digits of miss distance (LD) than in the prior months. I haven't heard back from them yet and may not ever. I believe that some of my questions were answered in this forum. However, one of particular concern was not.

The simple issue is NASA's ability to remove objects from it's Close Approach and Impact Risk tables after an object impacts or skips-off of our atmosphere. I suppose the data had already been used to rationally determine where in the sky to best aim our search devises. It also seems like the data may be used to draw conclusions as to what direction an NEO came from if an impact pattern becomes apparent.

Wouldn't that data come in handy in the case of several smaller NEO's coming from the same vector indicating and possibly leading to the earlier discovery of a larger threat?

Not sure what you are trying to say here. There's a stochastic probability of detect close approach asteroids. Some days will have lots, some days will have fewer.

Right now, the northern hemisphere sites are limited by the very few hours of darkness. It is mid summer after all.

No objects since the 1970's have skipped off the atmosphere. The Grand Teton meteoroid did back in the 70's; since then the only other object detected nefore impact was 2008 TC3,which we saw coming in, tracked through the atmosphere, and recovered pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts