Space travel can seriously change your brain

So space tourists will have swollen heads?

The study is of a limited material and almost exclusively male, and show modest changes - 2 % mean swelling of brain and its fluid and 13 % increased flow velocities (which may be beneficial) which return to baseline after flight. Uncertainty is low, p < 0.001 on everything that was measured on the whole population, but so was the effect strength. Apart from a supposed connection to "spaceflight-associated neuro-ocular syndrome" they don't report any medical effects.

I don't like their statistics on partial observations, they simply don't model bias. And MRI correlative studies are iffy, you can study "activity" in dead fish brains.

I do wish they had made more of the possible study material. The international astronauts were divided into two studies, and this was the smaller.

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Space travel can seriously alter one's brain, or the lack of gravity can really mess with one's mind. The mean population for the study is relatively small because the population is small; as compared to the overall general population. We don't have hundreds of thousands of people traversing through near orbit, we just have a hand full of astronauts going to the ISS. The study has a gender bias due to the fact that the astronaut core is gender and racially biased. The majority of astronauts are white straight men, with a sprinkling of Asian and Black. Native and Latinos make up less than one percent of the astronaut core. This does not diminish the findings of the study that clearly shows that without gravity there are adverse affects on the human physiology. I do believe that these affects will be magnified as we head towards Mars and beyond. We have "microgravity" due to the close proximity to the nearest center of gravity; Earth. Once we venture away from Mother Earth, the less her influence in on a mass of a traveling object. We are no longer rotating around Earth by traversing the inner space of the solar system; waiting to get tugged into the gravitational influence of Mars. It takes six Earth months to get to Mars. How much hang time do you get when there is no gravity at all; not even microgravity? Astronauts float like a butterfly due to microgravity, can astronauts move when there is a total absence of gravity for several months at a time? How much will the human brain swell due to the lack of gravity? Some one told me that once we are away from our mother; we are under the influence of the sun. I guess we would if we were spinning around the sun and not headed towards Mars or Venus. So when will we design ships with gravity in mind; for a mind is a terrible thing to loss.

Nov 12, 2020
Visit site
Most common are adjustment reactions to the novelty of being in space, with symptoms generally including transient anxiety or depression. Psychosomatic reactions also have occurred, where anxiety and other emotional states are experienced physically as somatic symptoms.

Nov 12, 2020
Visit site
Most common are adjustment reactions to the novelty of being in space, with symptoms generally including transient anxiety or depression. Psychosomatic reactions also have occurred, where anxiety and other emotional states are experienced physically as somatic symptoms. From my point of view, depression and anxiety is a very serious health problem. I had to encounter such a problem... I used maeng da kratom that changed my way of thinking. I became more upbeat and optimistic. Various research studies have found that Kratom is useful in inspiring a positive state of mind and causing users to have a more optimistic attitude about life in general. Maybe this will help you.

May 3, 2021
Visit site
I sure hope we do fix this issue since our brains are literally the key to space travel! First, intelligent people aren't the only thing we need to solve our problems we need genius. Second, intelligence is basically like a really good interpreter and it can make some toys but linking things together isn't the strong point for intelligent people as they are constantly trying to separate things into neat, little, categories. The answer to the problem of protecting our space crafts is right in front of their face. A geniuses life, is coming up with theories, we witness the answers in our thoughts all day, everyday. SO here goes the way to traverse space without too many obstacles:

Use the human brain to power a shield for long journeys. The human brain uses 20 watts to think and it uses food and oxygen as its source of power! There is an small Electromagnetic Field generated by the brain that can be studied and utilized 20 Watts x 8,000000000 = 800,000 Watts that is way more than enough to power a EMF Shield. Of course we don't need that much power so we only need about 2500 people to power a shield for space travel and their power can be utilized and stored while they sleep. Now I know this isn't possible today, since we are so far behind due to a lack of creativity (none since Einstein) we don't see how its possible today, take it from a genius it is possible (just started calling myself a genius not typical for me but it makes me feel less alone! I have friends but I can't talk with anyone about what I experience or know). Of course all of these theories need science to back it up but you will find I am correct and then their are ethical questions. We can figure out how to make it possible but I don't think science will figure it out with these trained geniuses, I'm in the wild still exploring this beautiful planet, where my genius isn't stifled with what science doesn't know, yet. = )

Latest posts