spaceshipfour

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frankrott

Flight International reports some studies have been initiated on SS3 and SS4.<br />http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2007/02/27/212308/nasa-plans-to-hitch-a-lift-on-spaceshiptwo.html<br /><br />It says "Virgin Galactic has begun studying a SpaceShipFour (SS4) that could serve as a satellite launcher. By 2014 a version of WK2, with its 13,300kg (30,000lb) payload capability, could air launch the two-stage SS4 vehicle."<br /><br />That SS4 sounds quite like AirLaunch rocket, except that the QuickReach is to weigh some 32,500kg. What would be the payload weight of SS4? QuickReach is promised to lift some 450kg.<br />

Q

qso1

Without technical specs on the SS-4, its kind of difficult to establish payload capacity. However, assuming the SS-4 is reusable, this means it should be able to carry up payloads of even small mass repeatedly as opposed to expendables. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

R

rocketman5000

anyone have access to the Flight International article from 23-29 August 2005? I'm interested in how they intend to thermally protect SS3<br /> <br />Oh and I'm not offically a planet!!!

D

docm

IMO if you want an early look at how SS3 will look/work then check out t/Space's CXV. Its self stabilizing nose first Discoverer/Corona capsule re-entry is the orbital personification of Rutan's shuttlecock. Thermal protection is a double layer of NASA's SIRCA tiles (Silicone Impregnated Reuseable Ceramic Ablator).<br /><br />Why this? Because CXV was to be a Rutan special, and I can't imagine him tossing a good concept that far along the developmental path. If I were him I'd make a decision about scaling then run with it.<br /><br />Mockup.... <br /><br />Graphic.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.