SpaceShipTwo details revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jschaef5

you must also remember that SS1's uncontrollable moments were when it was at high altitude due to the lack of air over its control surfaces and I believe when its up at 60 miles it used gas jets to control roll. So when it gets back into the atmosphere more it will regain the control. But yes it could go into a spin stall or something just like any other plane can. The feather tail not only slows them down but it also helps control.<br /><br />I don't see the need to close highways for this thing... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

vulture2

The risk is similar to that of any experimental aircraft; roads are not normally closed for them. A lot of this is tradition; once officials get into the habit of requiring a precaution, even one that isn't logocal, it is hard to stop.<br /><br />Regarding the G load, the reason it is higher than the shuttle is that the descent is essentially vertical, so there's little time to slow down. In contrast the Shuttle enters at a very shallow angle and has enough lift to keep the descent very slow. The Mercury capsule, with no lift, peaked at 11G on entry. <br /><br />It really depends on whether the passengers are exposed to acceleration in the head-to-foot (Gz) or chest-to-back (Gx) directions. Most people can tolerate 7 G briefly if lying down or reclining. However to take the 4-G launch acceleration in the Gx direction the seats will have to be close to vertical, so seats may have to recline for re-entry to reduce G load, as do some of the seats in the Shuttle. Having taken 6Gz in an F4 many years ago, I would not be eager to put a person in questionable health at such an acceleration except possibly lying down.

V

vulture2

The risk is similar to that of any experimental aircraft; roads are not normally closed for them. A lot of this is tradition; once officials get into the habit of requiring a precaution, even one that isn't logocal, it is hard to stop.<br /><br />Regarding the G load, the reason it is higher than the shuttle is that the descent is essentially vertical, so there's little time to slow down. In contrast the Shuttle enters at a very shallow angle and has enough lift to keep the descent very slow. The Mercury capsule, with no lift, peaked at 11G on entry. <br /><br />It really depends on whether the passengers are exposed to acceleration in the head-to-foot (Gz) or chest-to-back (Gx) directions. Most people can tolerate 7 G briefly if lying down or reclining. However to take the 4-G launch acceleration in the Gx direction the seats will have to be close to vertical, so seats may have to recline for re-entry to reduce G load, as do some of the seats in the Shuttle. Having taken 6Gz in an F4 many years ago, I would not be eager to put a person in questionable health at such an acceleration except possibly lying down.

N

nacnud

IIRC the seats will fold flat for the time in space, to allow extra space for floating, and during entry to mitigate the gees.<br /><br />

N

nacnud

IIRC the seats will fold flat for the time in space, to allow extra space for floating, and during entry to mitigate the gees.<br /><br />

E

edkyle98

Except for one flight when Neil Armstong's X-15 skipped off the top of the atmosphere, forcing him to perform a 90 degree turn over Los Angeles (!), most X-15 flights occurred over sparsly populated regions (1-5 people per square mile today, versus 10-25 people per square mile today beneath portions of the New Mexico flight path under discussion here), with drops and powered flight occuring near places like Death Valley or the desert mountains west of Ely, Nevada. Much of the land beneath the flight paths was government-owned. (I wonder if they could fly the same routes today).<br /><br />Of the 199 flights, one ended in a fatal crash and several ended in aborts to emergency landings on several of a series of dry lake beds beneath the flight paths. (One of the aborts occurred after the main engine exploded - more X-15s would have been destroyed were it not for the piloting skill displayed during the program). The abort landing zones were carefully pre-selected. Emergency rescue teams were pre-staged at each abort site before each X-15 flight. A series of ground radar and communications stations along the flight paths supported each mission.<br /><br />X-15 wasn't just any airplane. SpaceShipTwo won't be either.<br /><br /> - Ed Kyle

E

edkyle98

Except for one flight when Neil Armstong's X-15 skipped off the top of the atmosphere, forcing him to perform a 90 degree turn over Los Angeles (!), most X-15 flights occurred over sparsly populated regions (1-5 people per square mile today, versus 10-25 people per square mile today beneath portions of the New Mexico flight path under discussion here), with drops and powered flight occuring near places like Death Valley or the desert mountains west of Ely, Nevada. Much of the land beneath the flight paths was government-owned. (I wonder if they could fly the same routes today).<br /><br />Of the 199 flights, one ended in a fatal crash and several ended in aborts to emergency landings on several of a series of dry lake beds beneath the flight paths. (One of the aborts occurred after the main engine exploded - more X-15s would have been destroyed were it not for the piloting skill displayed during the program). The abort landing zones were carefully pre-selected. Emergency rescue teams were pre-staged at each abort site before each X-15 flight. A series of ground radar and communications stations along the flight paths supported each mission.<br /><br />X-15 wasn't just any airplane. SpaceShipTwo won't be either.<br /><br /> - Ed Kyle

L

larper

There were two engine explosions on the X15? One in flight? I thought there was only the one that occurred on the static test with Scott Crossfield. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

L

larper

There were two engine explosions on the X15? One in flight? I thought there was only the one that occurred on the static test with Scott Crossfield. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

F

frodo1008

Sorry, I thought it was 3.0 g's. It is even milder than I thought!

F

frodo1008

Sorry, I thought it was 3.0 g's. It is even milder than I thought!

G

gawin

4G’s were routinely pulled in shady curve of the lake placid bobsled run <prior to space flight and modern aviation this was one of the only places in the world where you could experience 4G’s circa 1940’s>and 3G’s are pulled on the new run. Many thrill seeking tourists pay $50.00 for the thrill of going down this run. They are not “super” athletes nor astronauts but every day people out for a 60 second ride.<br /><br />P.S. if you want a ride that puts any coaster to shame give the ice a try 80+ MPH 3 vertical G nothin but ice and gravity.

G

gawin

4G’s were routinely pulled in shady curve of the lake placid bobsled run <prior to space flight and modern aviation this was one of the only places in the world where you could experience 4G’s circa 1940’s>and 3G’s are pulled on the new run. Many thrill seeking tourists pay $50.00 for the thrill of going down this run. They are not “super” athletes nor astronauts but every day people out for a 60 second ride.<br /><br />P.S. if you want a ride that puts any coaster to shame give the ice a try 80+ MPH 3 vertical G nothin but ice and gravity.

N

nyarlathotep

The 7 g's are only for a few seconds. If you have good seat padding and correct inclination, this is survivable without injury even for a geriatric. Fighter pilots pull up to 10 g's for short periods routinely, and the su-47 will pull 15+. <br /><br />Some rollercoasters also peak at 6 g's.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">P.S. if you want a ride that puts any coaster to shame give the ice a try 80+ MPH 3 vertical G nothin but ice and gravity.</font><br /><br />Done it at Sigulda, accelerometer peaked at 5.1 G's. Fun as hell, but believe me that I never EVER want to do it again on an ice track. If you have any qualms about whether you'll be able to take the 7 G's in SS2, go to Latvia first and put down $300 for a couple of runs. One night of four star accomodation and two good meals included.

N

nyarlathotep

The 7 g's are only for a few seconds. If you have good seat padding and correct inclination, this is survivable without injury even for a geriatric. Fighter pilots pull up to 10 g's for short periods routinely, and the su-47 will pull 15+. <br /><br />Some rollercoasters also peak at 6 g's.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">P.S. if you want a ride that puts any coaster to shame give the ice a try 80+ MPH 3 vertical G nothin but ice and gravity.</font><br /><br />Done it at Sigulda, accelerometer peaked at 5.1 G's. Fun as hell, but believe me that I never EVER want to do it again on an ice track. If you have any qualms about whether you'll be able to take the 7 G's in SS2, go to Latvia first and put down $300 for a couple of runs. One night of four star accomodation and two good meals included.

H

henryhallam

<font color="yellow">The Shuttle Orbiter entry max G loading is 1.5G's</font><br /><br />Didn't a certain astronaut stand up for the reentry one time? Fantastic.<br /><br />Launch is 3G though right?

H

henryhallam

<font color="yellow">The Shuttle Orbiter entry max G loading is 1.5G's</font><br /><br />Didn't a certain astronaut stand up for the reentry one time? Fantastic.<br /><br />Launch is 3G though right?

L

larper

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>4G’s were routinely pulled in shady curve of the lake placid bobsled <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I did the Lake Placid run about 15 years ago. Holy cow...<br /><br />I had gone up there with some old college friends since I was in state visiting during Xmas holiday. I saw that they gave rides ($25 back then), and I suggested we all do it. I was the only one who did, though.<br /><br />I wasn't really dressed for the weather, I had on a light winter coat and shoes, not warm boots. It was about 0 out, but no wind, so it was rather pleasant.<br /><br />Got into the sled. Since I was by far the tallest, they put me in back. I could see over everyone elses heads. The sled started down the run.<br /><br />Did I mention that it was REALLY cold out?<br /><br />For about the first 5 seconds, I enjoyed the ride. Then we really picked up speed.<br /><br />Did I mention that my head stuck up above everyone elses?<br /><br />The wind suddenly kicked in. It felt like my eyes were freezing solid. I closed my eyelids as tightly as I could. Ok, my eyes are ok, now it is just the rest of my face that is freezing solid.<br /><br />By the time we got to the bottom, I couldn't remember anything about the ride except the cold. We could have hit 10gs for all that I remember. That is when I realized that my feet and hands were just as cold.<br /><br />I would like to do it again, on a nice summer day when it is about 90 out. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

L

larper

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>4G’s were routinely pulled in shady curve of the lake placid bobsled <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I did the Lake Placid run about 15 years ago. Holy cow...<br /><br />I had gone up there with some old college friends since I was in state visiting during Xmas holiday. I saw that they gave rides ($25 back then), and I suggested we all do it. I was the only one who did, though.<br /><br />I wasn't really dressed for the weather, I had on a light winter coat and shoes, not warm boots. It was about 0 out, but no wind, so it was rather pleasant.<br /><br />Got into the sled. Since I was by far the tallest, they put me in back. I could see over everyone elses heads. The sled started down the run.<br /><br />Did I mention that it was REALLY cold out?<br /><br />For about the first 5 seconds, I enjoyed the ride. Then we really picked up speed.<br /><br />Did I mention that my head stuck up above everyone elses?<br /><br />The wind suddenly kicked in. It felt like my eyes were freezing solid. I closed my eyelids as tightly as I could. Ok, my eyes are ok, now it is just the rest of my face that is freezing solid.<br /><br />By the time we got to the bottom, I couldn't remember anything about the ride except the cold. We could have hit 10gs for all that I remember. That is when I realized that my feet and hands were just as cold.<br /><br />I would like to do it again, on a nice summer day when it is about 90 out. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts