SpaceX Falcon 9 Flight 1 Launch, June 4, 2010

Page 8 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Re: Upcoming SpaceX Falcon 9 Flight 1 Launch

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/0 ... index.html

01-640.jpg

02-640.jpg

03-640.jpg

G

gawin

Great photos... I am so excited by this launch.

M

mj1

I know SpaceX is playing the launch close to the vest and I can hardly blame them with all that is riding on a successful liftoff. However, does anyone know if they will be broadcasting this weeks engine firing tests live, or will put them out once the tests are done?

M

MeteorWayne

Based on past history, they will post a video after the fact.

D

docm

MeteorWayne":9wzvxzad said:
Based on past history, they will post a video after the fact.
They simulcast their launches from their website, though with only a few hours notice.

E

edkyle99

I've been trying to pin down data for the Block 1 Falcon 9 that will make this flight attempt. SpaceX has provided some information for the projected Block 2 Falcon 9 in its User Guide, but numbers are harder to come by for the Block 1.

Here is what we know about Block 1, based upon information on the SpaceX update pages.

Stage 1:
Thrust (sea level) = 401.43 tonnes
Burn Time = 178 seconds
Propellant Burn Rate = 1.4595 tonnes per second
Total Propellant Burned = 259.8 tonnes
Specific Impulse = 275/304 sec (SL/vac)
Dry mass > 15.4 tonnes

Stage 2:
Thrust (vacuum) = 41.96 tonnes
Burn Time = 329 seconds
Specific Impulse = ~342 sec (vac)

If the Stage 2 Vacuum Merlin ran at full throttle during its burn, it would consume 40.4 tonnes of propellant. SpaceX has not revealed the throttle profile, however, so I don't know the propellant mass for certain.

Payload:
A couple of years ago, SpaceX claimed 9.9 tonnes payload to LEO for Block 1, presumably to a 28.5 deg inclination. Dragon only weighs 8 tonnes fully loaded, but that is to a 51.6 degree inclination. It should be possible for Falcon 9 Block 1 to orbit 8 tonnes with usable stage propellant mass ratios in the 0.93 to 0.94 range. That implies a gross liftoff mass of approximately 320 tonnes (not including payload), which is about 13.4 tonnes less than the Block 2 Falcon 9 number given in the User Guide. That gives a respectable 1.25 liftoff thrust to weight ratio.

- Ed Kyle

G

Gravity_Ray

Well the 1.25 ration impresses the heck out of me!

OOO Thanks MW that Space.com picture just made my desktop.

E

EarthlingX

Gravity_Ray":19asmbj8 said:
Well the 1.25 ration impresses the heck out of me!

OOO Thanks MW that Space.com picture just made my desktop.
You ever thought about having four monitors running screensavers around you ? ;) For example in the office, all fed from one computer .. :roll:

Anyway, this is just too good to not be here, but SDC photo is better res :
03.jpg

G

Gravity_Ray

LoL EarthlingX I dont know what office you work in that allows you to do that, but please pass my resume to them! Man everytime I see this picture I want to fly to space. Rats, I dont think I am going to make it into space though. :cry:

M

MeteorWayne

Before a new launch vehicle is cleared for liftoff from Cape Canaveral, federal regulators and Air Force officials meticulously go over the rocket's safety systems to verify the mission will pose no danger to the public.

The process is in motion again as SpaceX prepares to launch its first Falcon 9 rocket, a thoroughly-tested but unproven launcher that could blast off as early as next month.

The Air Force 45th Space Wing and the Federal Aviation Administration are still reviewing paperwork on the new rocket, which is currently on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral for several days of ground tests.

Because of the continuing safety checks, SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk says the earliest launch could occur is around March 22, although the 154-foot-tall rocket could be ready before then...

Musk said launch may not occur until April or May.

More in the SDC article:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/fa ... 00224.html

T

tanstaafl76

Reviewing the paperwork :roll:

Let Falcon 9 fly already!

D

docm

Just got an email full of images.... (minus some already posted)

02242010_VideoScreen_Vertical.jpg

20100210_F9_integration_DSC_0273_640.jpg

20100224_matedhangar.jpg

20100224_sidehangar.jpg

20100224_rollout.jpg

20100224_hangar.jpg

20100224_rolloutday.jpg

20100224_sidenight.jpg

20100224_f9vert.jpg

V

vattas

docm":5wxq9vfy said:
Cool :)
Note the covered tracks on either side of the Falcon 9.....obviously intended for the Falcon 9 Heavy/Heavy H.
As seen in the pictures above, these are already used for transporter/erector. But of course it is possible that width of transporter was chosen with F9 Heavy in mind.

V

vulture4

The current anxiety about the "critical first launch" of the Falcon 9 is misplaced. The probability of failure is relatively high on the initial flight of any launch vehicle. A failure on the first launch does not mean there is any fundamental problem with the design as long as the problem can be identified and corrected. In the long run it is best to correct the problem at the component/subsystem level and verify by thorough testing that the vehicle is reliable. If SpaceX is forced to accept cumbersome review procedures or multiple levels of redundancy that will increase weight, complexity and preparation time for the life of the program, the cost will be much greater than the loss of the initial launch vehicle.

Although the desire for an effective range safety system is understandable, it's hard to see why approval of the self-destruct system is so time-consuming, nor am I aware of any historical incident involving a liquid-propellant vehicle where the engine shutdown procedure alone was not sufficient for flight termination.

M

mr_mark

docm, some more really great pics from you, thanks so much. WARNING there are some trolls on this website lately, I suspect that they are anti administration types trying to find any way to discredit current or upcoming administration programs including commercial ventures in the new NASA space plan. They don't care who gets hurt as long as it discredits the current administration. Let's not give them any ammo if you know what I mean till after the first successful launch of Falcon 9.

M

MeteorWayne

Let's not screw up the thread with conspiracy theories. They belong in Space Business and Technology. This thread is ONLY to discuss the specifics of the upcoming launch

MW , with Mod Hat on....

E

edkyle99

vulture4":1w0ldy51 said:
Although the desire for an effective range safety system is understandable, it's hard to see why approval of the self-destruct system is so time-consuming, nor am I aware of any historical incident involving a liquid-propellant vehicle where the engine shutdown procedure alone was not sufficient for flight termination.

As I understand it, the range safety review process for this first Falcon 9 launch is working along at a pace similar to those for other recent "first" launches. Recall the delays for RSO reviews just prior to last year's Ares I-X flight, for example.

Based on the long history of public safety around the launch range, I think it is safe to say that the Cape range safety officials know what they're doing.

- Ed Kyle

M

mr_mark

Dear Spacex, Could you please paint the black 2nd stage/ interstage separators white as the black really bothers me and does not create a clean line visually. Talk about what not to wear LOL.......... Where is Stacy and Clinton when you need them!

E

edkyle99

mr_mark":2s30lfgv said:
Dear Spacex, Could you please paint the black 2nd stage/ interstage separators white as the black really bothers me and does not create a clean line visually. Talk about what not to wear LOL.......... Where is Stacy and Clinton when you need them!

I suspect that there are some very good reasons *not* to paint these vital components.

I kinda like the look, which highlights some working detail parts.

- Ed kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.