SpaceX to Make Star Satellites Dimmer to Lessen Impact on Astronomy: Report

Dec 12, 2019
Visit site
Actually, given that these satellites are in low earth orbit (under 250 miles), the uproar seems slightly overblown, since they are really only visible for an hour or two after sunset and before sunrise, while they are illuminated by the sun.

I agree that these satellites encroach on observations by reducing the astronomical observation window -- but they don't close that window.

Reactions: Phantom-e
Low earth orbit I think is only for StarLink satellites test phase, then higher orbits follow. Professional observatories already recorded images of multiple starlink *stuff* moving by during the observation runs. Various amateur astronomers observing are reporting problems like this too. It is not uncommon for me when stargazing, to see a 4th or 5th magnitude fainter satellite move by the field of view too using my telescopes, apparently more frequently now that starlink is underway. Even if Starlink satellites are 7th magnitude, binocular viewers will be able to see this stuff too :)

In my view, time will tell after the many thousands of new satellites are in Earth orbit. The professional observatory reports and amateur astronomer, stargazer reports - so far do not look good for dark skies in the future. It could turn into a 1970s disco dance lighting in the sky :)

Latest posts