SpaceX's 1st Crew Dragon astronauts settle into life at the space station

May 22, 2020
Visit site
I cringe watching interviews with the astronauts because I think the questions they're routinely asked by the press (even the science press) are juvenile and pointless. All the "How's it going?" and "How's the stuffed dinosaur doing" questions are of no value.

This is not a criticism of the astronauts at all, they look just as uncomfortable answering dumb questions as I am watching them. It's a criticism of the reporters and the organizations they work for. To be asking the astronauts while they're on the space station what they think about the riots going on down here smacks of using them as political pawns and I think that's pretty disgusting.

If you're a member of the science press, ask the astronauts about the experiments being conducted, ask them about whether or not their physical movements inside the vehicle and/or the station cause any need for course correction periodically, ask them if there are any plant or small animal experiments going on or planned for the future, ask them how the review of the health of the Dragon capsule is going, ask them if there are any micrometeorite dents in the space station or it's solar arrays.... I can think of a gazillion questions to ask an astronaut in orbit but "What's your favorite song?" isn't one of them.

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
I cringe watching interviews with the astronauts because I think the questions they're routinely asked by the press (even the science press) are juvenile and pointless. All the "How's it going?" and "How's the stuffed dinosaur doing" questions are of no value.

This is not a criticism of the astronauts at all, they look just as uncomfortable answering dumb questions as I am watching them. It's a criticism of the reporters and the organizations they work for. To be asking the astronauts while they're on the space station what they think about the riots going on down here smacks of using them as political pawns and I think that's pretty disgusting.

If you're a member of the science press, ask the astronauts about the experiments being conducted, ask them about whether or not their physical movements inside the vehicle and/or the station cause any need for course correction periodically, ask them if there are any plant or small animal experiments going on or planned for the future, ask them how the review of the health of the Dragon capsule is going, ask them if there are any micrometeorite dents in the space station or it's solar arrays.... I can think of a gazillion questions to ask an astronaut in orbit but "What's your favorite song?" isn't one of them.
It’s the press, they are generally as dumb as minerally deficient dirt.