Spayss, Argue About the I Support and Don't Support Thread Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arobie

In the "I support" and "Do Not Support" reference thread, you started a debate on our unrealistic wants. I ask you to carry that on here. I would like to keep the other thread clean of discussion.

A

arobie

We are not so naive to think that some of the things we support are what we think are even possible, with our bugdet restrictions.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">"Back to the real world. With a budget plus or minus a 10% of 15 billion, what do 'you support'?"</font><br /><br />The 15 billion budget does not restrict and control everything I (we) support. With private industry emerging, not everything now depends on Nasa.<br /><br />A few of the things that I support that do not depend on Nasa'a budget entirely or even any are:<br /><br />4. Utilizing space resources and energy sources, when it becomes economical. (I expect private companies to do this more so than Nasa sometime in the future)<br /><br />5. The X-Prize and any X-prize type contests. <br /><br />6. Space Tourism. <br /><br />7. Private industry moving up into space. <br /><br />12. Programs, projects, companies, or nations moving the human race toward becoming a space-faring race. (I won't consider usa space-faring nation untill private industry is very active in space)

R

radarredux

I think what would be an interesting effort, although pretty labor intensive, is to collect the items mentioned in the thread (both pros and cons), set up a means to prioritize/rank them.<br /><br />Another approach might be to have people describe what they think should be done and how to do it, and then have people rank them (e.g., 1-5 stars). Maybe Space.com could set up a competition, and the winner gets a trip to a launch (NASA, SpaceShipOne, or whatever) (or maybe they just win a shirt).<br /><br />Just a thought.

L

lunatic133

I don't believe I have any sort of "I want I want" attitude. I was simply suggesting the places where the funds available should be allocated. And I don't really see why you're making such a fuss about it as it is just a reference thread of what we would support in a perfect world. That you cant accept that shows immaturity on your part. And if I am in fact being immature, if being immature means having to be like you, then I think I'd rather be immature forever, thank you. Imagine how far (or not far) humanity would have gone if everyone were "grounded in pragmatism" as you so eloquently put it. If you truly do not support space exploration then WHY are you at a space message board? Is it because you really have nothing better to do with your time then go to space.com and tell people they're childish/unrealistic/stupid for their believes? Oh, yeah. I have a WHOLE lot of respect for THAT.

D

dan_casale

I want space to have Apollo level funding, in todays dollars.

J

jcdenton

Maybe we should start another thread asking everyone where they believe funding should be cut in order to support NASA. In my "DO NOT SUPPORT" list I suggested cutting funds from the Star Wars missile defence program. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow">I don't believe I have any sort of "I want I want" attitude. ... I don't really see why you're making such a fuss about it ...</font>/i><br /><br />Whoa! What did I say? I suspect (hope) that you were not specifically replying to my post.</i>

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow"> I would like to keep the other thread clean of discussion.</font>/i><br /><br />I considered the original thread a "brainstorming thread". When we do this in meetings we put everything up on the board (no matter how strange) and we make no judgements on any of the items. It is just a brain/idea dump.<br /><br />Only once we think we have enough material on the board do we start trying to prioritize the list.<br /><br />So I agree that the original thread should just be for posting "support" and "do not support" lists. No direct comments or judgment calls. We comment, expand upon, judge or whatever in a different thread (or threads). Which I guess is what this thread is for.</i>

L

lunatic133

sorry ... was replying to spayss in another thread but could not reply there. Certainly didn't mean you! Forgive me for the confusion

M

mattblack

Spayss, I don't think you get it!! What in heaven's name makes you think my post had anything to do with an "I Want, I Want" mentality?! You're making a supposition about my view of things in this world. You don't know me, beyond these words you're reading. I like to think of myself as realistic.<br /><br />In fact, I'm one of the people who believes the world does NOT owe us a living. I save money and I don't recklessly consume like some kind of capitalist cliche!! I DO believe that many young people today don't understand the gratification and fiscal safety that SAVING up for something will give them. Rather than just putting it on a credit card and worrying about how to pay for it later.<br /><br />Read my post again. Perhaps I should have said in it: "These things should come to pass over a thirty year period."<br /><br />NOTE: If I WERE indulging in I Want, I Want, I should tell you that what I'd REALLY like is an increase in Nasa'a budget to $30 billion dollars a year, and a goal to have people on Mars by 2015. Not to mention offering multi-billion dollar X-Prize incentives for private orbital and Moon missions for tourism.<br /><br />Wouldn't those things be cool? But still, like I said, I'm realistic. Please, read my post again...<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.