Spkr. Boehner on agency funding (NASA comment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Link....

>
Boehner also has called for extending tax cuts and reining in federal spending to be priorities. On spending, he's called for ending the practice of rolling many federal programs into comprehensive spending bills in favor of requiring specific votes agency by agency.

"Members shouldn't have to vote for big increases at the Commerce Department just because they support NASA," he said last month in a speech at the American Enterprise Institute. "Each department and agency should have to justify itself each year to the full House and Senate, and be judged on its own."
>

B

Boris_Badenov

At the meet & greet for Paul Gosar here in Show Low I got to ask him if he supported COTS & CCDev. He didn't know what they were & as I started to explain he cut me off with snicker & a very condesending "we need to solve Earths problems first" type of answer. I have rather low hopes the new Congress will support NASA's new programs.

S

Skyskimmer

Boris_Badenov":3fiux9su said:
At the meet & greet for Paul Gosar here in Show Low I got to ask him if he supported COTS & CCDev. He didn't know what they were & as I started to explain he cut me off with snicker & a very condesending "we need to solve Earths problems first" type of answer. I have rather low hopes the new Congress will support NASA's new programs.
I love those the world first guys. When you ask them what they mean, they usually suggest something like I donno let the scientist figure it out. The scientist say fund nasa :D.

Same with energy crisis stuff, we got an energy crisis we can't be looking at the stars at a time like this. But the scientist all agree, the most hopeful plans usually have a orbital componet. (solar tranmission/fushion. etc.)

B

Boris_Badenov

Boehner's not the only one.

Election Brings New Leadership to NASA Oversight Committees
WASHINGTON — The Nov. 2 elections that will put Republicans in charge of the U.S. House of Representatives in January likely means that two vocal critics of U.S. President Barack Obama’s new direction for NASA will assume leadership of committees that oversee the space agency.

Riding a wave of voter unhappiness due in part to the country’s stalled economic recovery, Republican challengers as of early Nov. 3 had gained at least 60 seats in the House, well above the 39 needed to seize the majority of the chamber’s 435 voting members. Before the elections, Republican leaders pledged to curtail U.S. federal spending, which also could have implications for NASA.

The U.S. Senate is expected to remain under Democratic control, although Republicans made gains there as well.

Reps. Frank Wolf (R-Va.) and Ralph Hall (R-Texas), who both won re-election and are expected to assume leadership of key NASA oversight committees, have criticized Obama’s plans to cancel the nation’s Moon program and outsource crew transit to and from low Earth orbit.

Wolf, the ranking member of the powerful House Appropriations commerce, justice, science subcommittee, which oversees NASA spending, is expected to assume the panel’s chairmanship come January. A staunch critic of the Obama plan, Wolf, who is entering his 16th term in Congress, has said the president’s vision effectively would cede U.S. leadership in space.

V

Valcan

Boris_Badenov":1a2jc2xm said:

They in truth are doing what they are expected to do by their constituents. Texas like other states enjoy having a manopoly on some things. So they do what they are expected. Screw everyone else over to further the demands of the people who elected them.

We'll see in the end. Though you could take Boehners comments as either good or bad. I dont really understand why nasa gets funding threw others. One thing. I havent heard to many militayr people say funding for NASA needs to be cut. They atleast ussually understand we MUST control space. Now we just have to convience congress.

S

Skyskimmer

I swear if they cut the cots program I'm gonna have to off myself. It's the most sensible thing coming out of nasa since hubble.

Anyhow we all know nasa' gonna be cut down for atleast 6 years, the debt is massive, there's no way to fund it even if they wanted to. As long as spacex dosen't get shafted it might in the end be a good thing. Perhaps increase international cooperation etc.

B

Boris_Badenov

Industry Statistics & Trends
For 2010, it estimated that $47.7 billion will be spent on our pets in the U.S.

Breakdown:
Food $18.28 billion
Supplies/OTC Medicine $11.01 billion
Vet Care $12.79 billion
Live animal purchases $2.21 billion
Pet Services: grooming & boarding $3.45 billion

With a rather lazy search the only thing I can find for a NASA budget says about $19.5 billion per year.

In other words, we as a nation can spend close to $50 billion per year on our dogs & cats, but we can't afford a like amount on the exploration of the Universe. :evil:

S

Skyskimmer

Boris_Badenov":xv4xlxso said:
Industry Statistics & Trends
For 2010, it estimated that $47.7 billion will be spent on our pets in the U.S.

Breakdown:
Food $18.28 billion
Supplies/OTC Medicine $11.01 billion
Vet Care $12.79 billion
Live animal purchases $2.21 billion
Pet Services: grooming & boarding $3.45 billion

With a rather lazy search the only thing I can find for a NASA budget says about $19.5 billion per year.

In other words, we as a nation can spend close to $50 billion per year on our dogs & cats, but we can't afford a like amount on the exploration of the Universe. :evil:
How many people do you know that love animals, I can gaurentee you there's far more people their than are interested in space flight. People got burned by the apollo missions, they won't put an emotinal investment in something if it shows little to no return.

B

Boris_Badenov

Skyskimmer":1eihwwb6 said:
People got burned by the apollo missions, they won't put an emotinal investment in something if it shows little to no return.
NASA Spinoffs
1. Computer Technology
2. Consumer/Home/Recreation
Consumer/Home/Recreation - NASA Spinoffs

ENRICHED BABY FOOD - A microalgae-based, vegetable-like oil called Formulaid developed from NASA-sponsored research on long duration space travel, contains two essential fatty acids found in human milk but not in most baby formulas, believed to be important for infants' mental and visual development.

WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEM - NASA-developed municipal-size water treatment system for developing nations, called the Regenerable Biocide Delivery Unit, uses iodine rather than chlorine to kill bacteria.

SCRATCH-RESISTANT LENSES - A modified version of a dual ion beam bonding process developed by NASA involves coating the lenses with a film of diamond-like carbon that not only provides scratch resistance, but also decreases surface friction, reducing water spots.

POOL PURIFICATION - Space technology designed to sterilize water on long-duration spacecraft applied to swimming pool purification led to a system that uses two silver-copper alloy electrodes that generate silver and copper ions when an electric current passes through them to kill bacteria and algae without chemicals.

RIBBED SWIMSUIT - NASA-developed riblets applied to competition swimsuits resulted in flume testing of 10 to 15 percent faster speeds than any other world class swim-suit due to the small, barely visible grooves that reduce friction and aerodynamic drag by modifying the turbulent airflow next to the skin.

GOLF BALL AERODYNAMICS - A recently designed golf ball, which has 500 dimples arranged in a pattern of 60 spherical triangles, employs NASA aerodynamics technology to create a more symmetrical ball surface, sustaining initial velocity longer and producing a more stable ball flight for better accuracy and distance.

PORTABLE COOLERS/WARMERS - Based on a NASA-inspired space cooling system employing thermoelectric technology, the portable cooler/warmer plugs into the cigarette lighters of autos, recreational vehicles, boats, or motel outlets. Utilizes one or two miniaturized modules delivering the cooling power of a 10-pound block of ice and the heating power of up to 125 degrees Fahrenheit.

SPORTS TRAINING - Space-developed cardio-muscular conditioner helps athletes increase muscular strength and cardiovascular fitness through kinetic exercise.

ATHLETIC SHOES - Moon Boot material encapsulated in running shoe midsoles improve shock absorption and provides superior stability and motion control.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Dustbuster, shock-absorbing helmets, home security systems, smoke detectors, flat panel televisions, high-density batteries, trash compactors, food packaging and freeze-dried technology, cool sportswear, sports bras, hair styling appliances, fogless ski goggles, self-adjusting sunglasses, composite golf clubs, hang gliders, art preservation, and quartz crystal timing equipment.

3. Environmental and Resource Management
4. Health and Medicine
DIGITAL IMAGING BREAST BIOPSY SYSTEM - The LORAD Stereo Guide Breast Biopsy system incorporates advanced Charge Coupled Devices (CCDs) as part of a digital camera system. The resulting device images breast tissue more clearly and efficiently. Known as stereotactic large-core needle biopsy, this nonsurgical system developed with Space Telescope Technology is less traumatic and greatly reduces the pain, scarring, radiation exposure, time, and money associated with surgical biopsies.

BREAST CANCER DETECTION - A solar cell sensor is positioned directly beneath x-ray film, and determines exactly when film has received sufficient radiation and has been exposed to optimum density. Associated electronic equipment then sends a signal to cut off the x-ray source. Reduction of mammography x-ray exposure reduces radiation hazard and doubles the number of patient exams per machine.

LASER ANGIOPLASTY - Laser angioplasty with a "cool" type of laser, caller an excimer laser, does not damage blood vessel walls and offers precise non-surgical cleanings of clogged arteries with extraordinary precision and fewer complications than in balloon angioplasty.

ULTRASOUND SKIN DAMAGE ASSESSMENT - Advanced instrument using NASA ultrasound technology enables immediate assessment of burn damage depth, improving patient treatment, and may save lives in serious burn cases.

HUMAN TISSUE STIMULATOR - Employing NASA satellite technology, the device is implanted in the body to help patient control chronic pain and involuntary motion disorders through electrical stimulation of targeted nerve centers or particular areas of the brain.

COOL SUIT - Custom-made suit derived from space suits circulates coolant through tubes to lower patient's body/ temperature, producing dramatic improvement of symptoms of multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, spina bifida and other conditions.

PROGRAMMABLE PACEMAKER - Incorporating multiple NASA technologies, the system consists of the implant and a physician's computer console containing the programming and a data printer. Communicates through wireless telemetry signals.

OCULAR SCREENING - NASA image processing techniques are used to detect eye problems in very young children. An electronic flash from a 35-millimeter camera sends light into the child's eyes, and a photorefractor analyzes the retinal reflexes, producing an image of each eye.

AUTOMATED URINALYSIS - NASA fluid dynamics studies helped development of system that automatically extracts and transfers sediment from urine sample to an analyzer microscope, replacing the manual centrifuge method.

MEDICAL GAS ANALYZER - Astronaut-monitoring technology used to develop system to monitor operating rooms for analysis of anesthetic gasses and measurement of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen concentrations to assure proper breathing environment for surgery patients.

VOICE-CONTROLLED WHEELCHAIR - NASA teleoperator and robot technology used to develop chair and manipulator that respond to 35 one-word voice commands utilizing a minicomputer to help patient perform daily tasks, like picking up packages, opening doors, and turning on appliances.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Arteriosclerosis detection, ultrasound scanners, automatic insulin pump, portable x-ray device, invisible braces, dental arch wire, palate surgery technology, clean room apparel, implantable heart aid, MRI, bone analyzer, and cataract surgery tools.

5. Industrial Productivity/Manufacturing Technology
6. Public Safety
RADIATION HAZARD DETECTOR - NASA technology has made commercially available new, inexpensive, conveniently carried device for protection of people exposed to potentially dangerous levels of microwave radiation. Weighing only 4 ounces and about the size of a cigarette pack, it can be carried in a shirt pocket or clipped to a belt. Unit sounds an audible alarm when microwave radiation reaches a preset level.

EMERGENCY RESPONSE ROBOT - Remotely-operated robot reduces human injury levels by performing hazardous tasks that would otherwise be handled by humans.

PERSONAL ALARM SYSTEM - Pen-sized ultrasonic transmitter used by prison guards, teachers, the elderly, and disabled to call for help is based on space telemetry technology. Pen transmits a silent signal to receiver that will display the exact location of the emergency.

EMERGENCY RESCUE CUTTERS - Lightweight cutters for freeing accident victims from wreckage developed using NASA pyrotechnic technology.

FIREMAN'S AIR TANKS - Lighter-weight firefighter's air tanks have been developed. New back-pack system weighs only 20 lbs. for 30 minute air supply, 13 lbs. less than conventional firefighting tanks. They are pressurized at 4,500 psia (twice current tanks). A warning device tells the fireman when he or she is running out of air.

PERSONAL STORM WARNING SYSTEM - Lightning detector gives 30-minute warning to golfers, boaters, homeowners, business owners, and private pilots.

SELF-RIGHTING LIFE RAFT - Developed for the Apollo program, fully inflates in 12 seconds and protects lives during extremely adverse weather conditions with self-righting and gravity compensation features.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Storm warning services (Doppler radar), firefighters' radios, lead poison detection, fire detector, flame detector, corrosion protection coating, protective clothing, and robotic hands.

7. Transportation
STUDLESS WINTER TIRES - Viking Lander parachute shroud material is adapted and used to manufacture radial tires, increasing the tire material's chainlike molecular structure to five times the strength of steel should increase tread life by 10,000 miles.

BETTER BRAKES - New, high-temperature composite space materials provide for better brake linings. Applications includes trucks, industrial equipment and passenger cars.

TOLLBOOTH PURIFICATION - A laminar airflow technique used in NASA clean rooms for contamination-free assembly of space equipment is used at tollbooths on bridges and turnpikes to decrease the toll collector's inhalation of exhaust fumes.

WEIGHT SAVING TECHNOLOGY - NASA research on composite materials is used to achieve a 30-percent weight reduction in a twin-turbine helicopter, resulting in a substantial increase in aircraft performance.

IMPROVED AIRCRAFT ENGINE - Multiple NASA developed technological advancements resulted in a cleaner, quieter, more economical commercial aircraft engine known as the high bypass turbofan, featuring a 10-percent reduction in fuel consumption, lower noise levels, and emission reductions of oxides of nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and unburned hydrocarbons.

ADVANCED LUBRICANTS - An environmental-friendly lubricant designed to support the Space Shuttle Mobile Launcher Platform led to the development of three commercial lubricants for railroad track maintenance, for electric power company corrosion prevention, and as a hydraulic fluid with an oxidation life of 10,000 hours.

ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM - The Flywheel Energy Storage system, derived from two NASA-sponsored energy storage studies, is a chemical-free, mechanical battery that harnesses the energy of a rapidly spinning wheel and stores it as electricity with 50 times the capacity of a lead-acid battery, very useful for electric vehicles.

NEW WING DESIGN FOR CORPORATE JETS - NASA-developed computer programs resulted in an advanced, lighter, more aerodynamically-efficient new wing for Gulfstream business aircraft.

AIDS TO SCHOOL BUS DESIGN - Manufacturer uses three separate NASA-developed technologies originally developed for aviation and space use in their design and testing of a new school bus chassis. These technologies are a structural analysis computer program infrared stress measurement system, and a ride quality meter system.

Other spinoffs in this area include: Safer bridges, emission testing, airline wheelchairs, electric car, auto design, methane-powered vehicles, windshear prediction, and aircraft design analysis.

P.S. I love my cat. :D

V

vulture4

Almost everyone at NASA voted for the Republicans. Now they are going to get quashed by the people they voted in. He wants to cut $500 billion form the budget, and he doesn't think much of NASA. And John Boehner isn't going to be impressed by the list of spinoffs. If the agency were smart it would jettison the rest of Constellation, i.e. Orion and HLLV, since they are very expensive and don't produce anything useful.

NASA should concentrate on making useful new technology as a primary product, not claiming it is a "free" byproduct of human spaceflight. Many of the items in the above list are hyped, some really work. But these are not byproducts of human spaceflight, they are almost all funded R&D efforts. Which is fine. NASA is an R&D agency. But don't imagine they are free. Now if NASA leadership would let NASA centers and personnel have adequate discretionary funds to generate useful the science and technology that is within NASA's unique capabilities, whether or not it involves spaceflight, the public might begin to think NASA is a good investment for their tax dollars.

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

Skyskimmer":14gmifwm said:
How many people do you know that love animals, I can gaurentee you there's far more people their than are interested in space flight. People got burned by the apollo missions, they won't put an emotinal investment in something if it shows little to no return.
Hey,

got any polls to back that up?

V

Valcan

Yuri_Armstrong":335w5dan said:
Skyskimmer":335w5dan said:
Hey,

got any polls to back that up?

I thinks its more the fact that we make sure spaceflight is boring and that it taes time.

Look no further that jersey shore to see why most dont care about spaceflight.

Most people simply dont care about things that dont affect them. Weather its space or crime. They've been taught that way.

B

believer_since_1956

A number of Boehner's constituents work in the Space Industry.

M

mj1

Boris_Badenov":1tklto3l said:
You guys forget that this dude and the rest of the repug party is bought and paid for by Wall Street and the corporate oligarchy. I hope Elon Musk has put aside a few million to grease this guy and his cronies or COTS and whatever other plans NASA may have for commercial space flight will come to a screeching halt. Damn, do we EVER need to get money out of politics. Guys, write you congressman and tell them that we need need public financing of campaigns NOW, before the moneyed interests complete the coup that is currently underway.

B

believer_since_1956

Valcan":2xa8s2dc said:
Boris_Badenov":2xa8s2dc said:

They in truth are doing what they are expected to do by their constituents. Texas like other states enjoy having a manopoly on some things. So they do what they are expected. Screw everyone else over to further the demands of the people who elected them.

We'll see in the end. Though you could take Boehners comments as either good or bad. I dont really understand why nasa gets funding threw others. One thing. I havent heard to many militayr people say funding for NASA needs to be cut. They atleast ussually understand we MUST control space. Now we just have to convience congress.

NASA was put under the department of transportation after Apollo, if memory serves me correctly the "logic" was. The Space Shuttle is basically a truck therefore.......

G

Gravity_Ray

Under the new Congress COTS will get cut pronto. They will try and go back to Constellation ASAP. I am not surprised. HSF has been up and down like this since Apollo.

I am still hopeful, because once Falcon 9 and Dragon Lab are up and running, SpaceX can start doing business with Europe and Asia. At that point HSF will shift from US to other countries and there will be some hope that LEO business will take off.

Not trying to be dramatic, but I think we are seeing the death of NASA HSF.

V

vulture4

The death of NASA HSF started five years ago when Shuttle (and ISS) were canceled. it's too late for Shuttle, COTS is our only hope. But now we have Republicans fighting to save Constellation, a huge monolithic government program with no definable benefits, which has morphed into a combination of orion and an SRB-based HLV, and attacking Obama, a Democrat, for trying to cancel Constellation and putting additional funds into promoting COTS, which supports efficient private industry.

M

mj1

Gravity_Ray":332oy80d said:
Under the new Congress COTS will get cut pronto. They will try and go back to Constellation ASAP. I am not surprised. HSF has been up and down like this since Apollo.

I am still hopeful, because once Falcon 9 and Dragon Lab are up and running, SpaceX can start doing business with Europe and Asia. At that point HSF will shift from US to other countries and there will be some hope that LEO business will take off.

Not trying to be dramatic, but I think we are seeing the death of NASA HSF.
Maybe the administration should pretend to be FOR Constellation, then the repugs for suddenly be for COTS. These guys don't even know what COTS is. They are just against anything President Obama is for. Especially if it puts money in the pockets of their corporate masters.

D

docm

mj1":2cyawpyj said:
>
Maybe the administration should pretend to be FOR Constellation, then the repugs for suddenly be for COTS. These guys don't even know what COTS is. They are just against anything President Obama is for. Especially if it puts money in the pockets of their corporate masters
OpenSecrets.org list of top 100 donors & targeted party. 80 of the top 100 were either on the fence (roughly equal by party) or net Democrat donors, some very strongly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts