Star Trek II villian....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Rumors say it is NOT Khan, but is one of the following -

Harry Mudd: erstwhile con man

Trelane: God-like entity misbehaving with mismatched historical creations. Basis for the Q.

Gary Mitchell: he and his G/F gain God-like powers from forces at the edge of the galaxy, and it goes to his head.

The Talosians: subjects of the ST-TOS pilot The Menagerie; mental giants with telepathic powers.

The Horta: rock-like creature that travels through rock as we do air.

Make your pick....

S

starsinmyeyes44

I pick Gary Mitchell. He had an edge about him even when he was a nice guy...before he was transformed.

Harry Mudd is more of a buffoon than a villain, IMO.

Trelane could be a villain, even though he really is just a spoiled child.

The Talosians might be villain material...but they didn't seem to be particularly ruthless or have an agenda in The Menagerie...they were just studying their "lab animals."

Having the Horta as a villain would tie the whole movie down on one planet...under the surface. Not much for action-ey space shots.

Here is a list from IMDB...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/faq#.2.1.1

C

Couerl

A remake of the doomsday machine would be good. It was the best trek hands down.. I never liked the "god" episodes with Q and all that because they always turned out to be silly but, liberace did make for an excellent trellane.

The Star Trek brand itself has been run through the washing machine one too many times perhaps and 9 times out of ten the consumer ends up with garbage and that's really too bad because the one out of ten times have been shining moments.

A

a_lost_packet_

Who was it that forced the Federation/Klingon treaty establishing the Neutral Zone? I forget their name right now. It's another one of the "super Q-Like" races. There was a TOS episode with them in it, playing as human-like mortals on a neutral world where the Klingons and Federation were both vying for influence.

Anyway, that episode never fit in right for me, considering the Neutral Zone was generally treated as "been there awhile" and the TOS episode that created it (or hinted at its creators) was just the year before, or something like that.

Anyway, I'd love to see that re-written into an older plotline ala this new envisioning. It'd give us a chance for some nifty Federation/Klingon butt-whupping contests and some political dealing with supra-beings.

from the link":yqpled0l said:
..Unknown force of nature Roberto Orci has previously said they are flirting with the possibility of eschewing the traditional villain archetype and have "nature itself somehow be an adversary." ...

In Foster's Flinx books, there's a dark, evil, mysterious, powerful, godlike, uber-nasty, inky blackness, something-or-other that the protagonist is trying to keep from eating its way through Commonwealth space. It's already responsible for carving a dark swath through the stars. Several ancient and advanced species were either wiped out by it or barely managed to survive.

Something like that might make a nice Saturday matinee' villain... sans mustache, of course.

But, here's the problem, as I see it. You can't keep escalating villians. You just can't. First it was V'ger, but he was just misunderstood. Then it was Khan. Now THAT was a human, passionate villain we could sink our teeth into. Then it was Reverend Jim from Taxi... Sort of a let-down. After that, it was a couple of meandering movies that didn't really go anywhere including one that had Kirk battling God.. or a reasonable facsimile thereof. How can you top that? Enter the Klingons and jerk-your-heart-to-tears-because-they're-so-darn-noble-zomg-look-a-doberman-puppy movie... Oh, and a prison plotline without the shower scene, thank God.

Then, it's the Borg.. and something like the Borg.. and the Borg again.. and some other crap.. and more crap except we have to go back in time to find better crap because that's where all the best crap is according to the Star Trek franchise.

/rant off

The point is that people expect a series to escalate. It doesn't matter what you have in it. V'ger was a "false antagonist" so the producers got off the hook for that one. But, Khan.. he was the most colorful and endearing antagonist of the whole series. They spent the rest of the movies trying to re-create Khan, but didn't understand why the audience loved him. /sigh You don't have to escalate just with antagonists in "versus" movies. Politics is good, if you know what the heck you're doing. Love interests, personal tragedy, "dire straits" where characters are battling for survival against the environment (as they may be suggesting) and all sorts of other plotlines can be used to represent a struggle.

You don't always have to embody an antagonist in the form of a physical opponent.

I don't really want to see a "versus" movie if they can't do it right. I really don't. Because, if they can't do it right, they're going to spend three more movies trying to make up for it by bringing in increasingly more powerful, more fanciful antagonists with zilch for character appeal.

Bring in Harry Mudd, for gosh sakes! Hell, at least I know they will be FORCED to make him into an interesting and appealing antagonist character. Then, if they just have to find some way to one-up the awesome mightiness supra-powers of Harry Mudd, they won't have to look very far.

Note: Ever notice how everyone knows who Harry Mudd is? He was only in a couple of episodes. Why do people notice him? Because he was a darn AWESOME character that everyone fell guiltily in love with. THAT is the kind of thing they need to pay attention to, IMO.

D

docm

That would be the Organian Neutral Zone between the Federation and Klingon space, set up after both tried to arm/influence the non-corporeal Organians as proxies only to be told where to get off.

They've gone out of their way to put Pike in his wheelchair, so I think the Talosians in order to finish his arc. Might put in Mudd & the Tribbles for comic relief.

A

a_lost_packet_

docm":22bv34m6 said:
That would be the Organian Neutral Zone between the Federation and Klingon space, set up after both tried to arm/influence the non-corporeal Organians as proxies only to be told where to get off.

Right-O! I should have checked my Technical Manual real quick. :) The Organian Peace Treaty.

They've gone out of their way to put Pike in his wheelchair, so I think the Talosians in order to finish his arc. Might put in Mudd & the Tribbles for comic relief.

Please, say no to Tribbles? Tribbles are TOS and should stay TOS until they catch up the storyline a bit. Any inclusion of tribbles in this new envisioning will be purely for show and I'd rather they didn't cheapen themselves quite that far, just yet. Mudd is fine, he's a worthy character to explore. But, leave the tribbles alone!

What about catching up on some of Kirk's backstory? I know there were several events in the TOS that were mentioned which sounded interesting to visit. Yes, the new envisioning does need it's own personae. But, easing the fanbase into comfy couches with some tasty bits of Kirk lore on the screen might help.

S

StarRider1701

docm":3u8ost44 said:

Trelane: God-like entity misbehaving with mismatched historical creations. Basis for the Q.

Gary Mitchell: he and his G/F gain God-like powers from forces at the edge of the galaxy, and it goes to his head.

The Talosians: subjects of the ST-TOS pilot The Menagerie; mental giants with telepathic powers.

Hhmmm, not a very good set of choices. I must agree with PlanetsInHerEars, choosing from this group I would go with Gary Mitchell.
Harry Mudd will stop at almost nothing to make a buck, but he is too self centered, small minded and way too spineless to be a real threat.
Trelane was a child momentarily playing without supervision.
The Talosions were not evil nor did they have an ulterior agenda. In the end, they only wanted the one lone human that they had saved to have some company - namely a man she truly liked who couldn't have a happy life any other way.
And the Horta can be a threat if they choose to break the treaty created by Spock. Not that they'd have any reason to do so... although we humans can be really stupid, especially when we're being handed everything we could want or need on a silver platter... Maybe make it look like the Horta are the bad guys in the beginning?

None of these are really satisfactory. One reason I liked the last Star Trek film was that it wasn't some kind of rehash of an old Trek episode with an old Trek enemy. That being said, I think if it were done right, a remake of The Doomsday Machine could work. A small fleet of them along with a handful of surviving members of the race that buiilt them, controlling them as they enter Federation Space...

D

docm

Remember that this series occurs in an alternate timeline caused by Nero, so there's a lot of leeway for storyline changes.

Also; tribbles were introduced in the first film - one was on Scottie's desk in his first scene. It's in a wire cage top-right of the frames where they wake him up. It even trills through the scene :)

A

a_lost_packet_

docm":2fouz6kx said:
Remember that this series occurs in an alternate timeline caused by Nero, so there's a lot of leeway for storyline changes.

What, wait.. .. Huh?

This is backstory included in the first movie in the re-envisioned series?

Also; tribbles were introduced in the first film - one was on Scottie's desk in his first scene. It's in a wire cage top-right of the frames where they wake him up. It even trills through the scene :)

I'm glad I missed noticing that. Though, I only saw this movie once, at a friends house, and there were some interruptions, here and there.

J

JasonChapman

It will most likley be the Klingons, it would be a safe bet for Hollywood, even those who are not fans have heard of klingons, only those who are into Trek have heard of the other villans. Although the Borg are probably the thrid best known baddie next the the Romulans and Klingons. A reimaging of the Borg might work.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new films sparked a remake of the original series.

M

Mee_n_Mac

How about a deranged Vulcan (last of the High Command ?), driven mad due to the destruction of the homeworld ? He's out to kill Spock because he failed to save Vulcan (indeed was instrumental in it's demise). Much hilarity ensues.

A

a_lost_packet_

JasonChapman":1drcwdt3 said:
.. A reimaging of the Borg might work...

I was never a big fan of the Borg.

Sure, they were neat, at first. I think they had awesome potential. But, a virtually all-powerful super-civilization that constantly gets its butt kicked by a couple of Federation Captains every other month loses its sense of "impending doom" after awhile.

When Voyager revealed the true and awesome power of the Borg, I was suitably impressed. That is, until I realized that the Borg must have been the Universe's biggest idiot, an accident of a species that just had far too much power than they deserved. They're like the clap... At first imposing and terrifying, then not so much after a visit to the doctor for a shot. I was hoping more for a "rats in the walls" type of approach to the conflict between the Federation and the Borg.

B

Boots09

Mee_n_Mac said:
How about a deranged Vulcan (last of the High Command ?), driven mad due to the destruction of the homeworld ? He's out to kill Spock because he failed to save Vulcan (indeed was instrumental in it's demise). Much hilarity ensues.[/quot

I'm only familiar with one deranged Vulcan. Not sure he can cause much havoc as last I read (in the five word story thread) he had stolen a large stash of rum and is drunk off his ears... :D

D

docm

a_lost_packet_":2uhhgwq5 said:
docm":2uhhgwq5 said:
What, wait.. .. Huh?

This is backstory included in the first movie in the re-envisioned series?
Yup. By entering the black hole created by Spock, going back in time and attacking the USS Kelvin, the starship Kirk's parents were on, Nero created a new timeline. It's later discussed by the bridge crew later in the film.

A

a_lost_packet_

docm":2cam404n said:
Yup. By entering the black hole created by Spock, going back in time and attacking the USS Kelvin, the starship Kirk's parents were on, Nero created a new timeline. It's later discussed by the bridge crew later in the film.

Gotcha, I remember now. Vaguely, that is. I did enjoy the movie, btw. It was much better than I thought it was going to be.

So, we're on a new timeline. I can understand that. You can understand that. But, will the majority of fans understand that? If the new Kirk interacts in a big way with the originally accepted timeline, are people going to balk? I think they might. I also think this gives the producers license to bring all the "cool" ideas from TOS into a new production, without having to worry about geek rule-lawyers arguing canon versus literary license.

So, want Mirror Mirror 2010 style? Done. Tribbles being airlifted and then dumped over cities to be hosts for alien parasites in order to save a planet's colonists? You got it. Giant planet-sized black blobs of goo eating beautiful female crew-members the producer doesn't like? No problem. ie: They may have the license to blow the doors off of canon timelines. But, that doesn't mean they should.

S

StarRider1701

docm":2vywgbmh said:
Remember that this series occurs in an alternate timeline caused by Nero, so there's a lot of leeway for storyline changes. :)

Ah, I see. We're talking about revisiting the entire Star Trek timeline from this new direction. Ok, I guess?!? No, I'm not normally this slow.

So Jim Kirk can shoot Harry Mudd the first time and put him out of our misery? :lol:

I agree with lost. This gives Hollywood WAY too much leeway to make a total mess of the entire Trek Universe.

Still... it won't stop me from watching the next movie when it comes out.

P

pmn1

docm":2zh7xxmg said:

There is quite a good book based on that called 'Spock must Die' by James Blish

Its some time after the Organian Peace Treaty and the Klingons have found a way of supressing the Organians and putting the planet in some kind of shell and has launched a new war against the Federation - The Enterprise is cut off in the area of space its surveying. In trying to find out what has happened by massively extending the transporter range - by hundreds of light years (thanks to Scotty) a second Spock is inadverdantly created....and he is not a good Spock (no its not the Mirror Spock)....and one of them must die to keep the balance.

Makes a mess of the old timeline as once Kirk and co have been successful and release the Organians, they are not happy with the Klingons and while they don't destroy them, they effectively take them out of the Star Trek history.

B

believer_since_1956

pmn1":woc63hup said:
docm":woc63hup said:

There is quite a good book based on that called 'Spock must Die' by James Blish

Its some time after the Organian Peace Treaty and the Klingons have found a way of supressing the Organians and putting the planet in some kind of shell and has launched a new war against the Federation - The Enterprise is cut off in the area of space its surveying. In trying to find out what has happened by massively extending the transporter range - by hundreds of light years (thanks to Scotty) a second Spock is inadverdantly created....and he is not a good Spock (no its not the Mirror Spock)....and one of them must die to keep the balance.

Makes a mess of the old timeline as once Kirk and co have been successful and release the Organians, they are not happy with the Klingons and while they don't destroy them, they effectively take them out of the Star Trek history.

I remember reading that book, if memory serves me correctly it was the first SciFi book with a Star Trek theme. I believe it came out with a year or two after the original series was canceled. Remember Splinter in the Minds Eye?

D

docm

Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster

Oh yeah, have a copy :)

S

starsinmyeyes44

pmn1There is quite a good book based on that called 'Spock must Die' by James Blish [/quote said:
n119.jpg

Y

yevaud

starsinmyeyes44":3sdg8tgj said:
I pick Gary Mitchell. He had an edge about him even when he was a nice guy...before he was transformed.

Yeah, he almost "out-Kirked" Kirk.

3412777886_101d70ac6e.jpg

S

starsinmyeyes44

yevaud":2w0z30kn said:
starsinmyeyes44":2w0z30kn said:

Yeah, he almost "out-Kirked" Kirk.

3412777886_101d70ac6e.jpg

LOL!!!!
That made my morning!

K

keeper96

docm":345eqvoq said:
Rumors say it is NOT Khan, but is one of the following -

Make your pick....

Harry Mudd: bumbling idiot, hardly worthy as a villain for a major motion picture.

Trelane: maybe, if he could sneak away from mommy and daddy long enough to wreak serious havoc. although as the basis of Q...I always thought Q was ghey.

Gary Mitchell: dead (though I guess since they are rewriting canon they could resurrect him)

Talosians: never should any ambition for mayhem. they merely wanted to survive on their own planet

Horta: see above. Horta was just misunderstood, never evil.

why not something that has the promise for some epic space battles...a Gorn invasion for instance. and since they are rewriting canon...get rid of the damn Organians and let the Klingons be a really effective menace.

Y

yevaud

keeper96":2iqu9026 said:
Gary Mitchell: dead (though I guess since they are rewriting canon they could resurrect him)

Gary Mitchell: not dead. This is a different timeline, and Kirk has taken commend of the Enterprise way prematurely, compared to the Classic Trek Timeline. Mitchell is alive and well here, we haven't even gotten to the point in time in which he becomes a neo-"Q."

Besides which, if the mission that granted him those powers but ultimately killed him hasn't even occurred yet - and may not even ever occur here - then he would be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts