Star Trek V: The Final Frontier' at 35: Did William Shatner direct the cheesiest chapter in the franchise?

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
As a lifelong fan of all things Trek, I have to state how much I love this movie. It's silly, it's wacky, it's a bit out-there, for sure, but it was the first time (IMO) that the films made another episode of the original series. Aside from the concept of Sybok, everything else sits perfect alongside The Apple, Who Mourns for Adonis, Squire of Gothos, and countless others. The only difference was the "god" our crew went up against was one from their own history (mostly) and not immediately assumed to be nefarious by our outside perspective.

Were the effects great? ..... Sometimes yes, others no.
Was the acting great? ..... sometimes yes, ....

Hopefully you get the point.

I find it fun for all of its sci-fi absurdity and touching for all of its character.

The moments in the forward lounge when our trio confront Sybok and their own demons, and are able to overcome his influence due to their friendship, logic, and pragmatism (itself a reflection on our trio, they all confront it in their own passionate way) is pure Trek again giving the human condition spotlight over 'guns-a-blazin' action, and I wish we had more of that today.

I understand Shatner didn't fulfill his original vision and has regrets, and I'd love to see what could have been, but I am truly thankful to have the film as-is available to me for a rewatch whenever I need to be reminded how much the power of friendship can make our world a better place.

Thank you for reading.

Reactions: Bootsdad
May 22, 2021
Visit site
They lost me at a Fan-dancing Uhura ...

futurama-star-trek.gif

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
TBH, she didn't hate the scene..... but she was Dubbed for the singing portion which was disappointing all around.

Again, the film centered around aging folks working well outside of their scope to overcome a potential disaster of galactic proportions...... and aging actors who never would have had this opportunity aside from their legacy casting.

Ridiculous as it was, it worked for the plot as a way to distract the guards. Silly, yes, but for V it's par for the course.