Stellar Remnants

Page 6 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drwayne

Harry,

Glad you are back from the hospital.

May I humbly suggest that when posting links, you provide a note (doesn't have to be, shouldn't be
particuarly long) of context, in the manner oof the following example:

In the following paper, there is data that strongly suggests that drwayne'e IQ is in the single digits,
see in particular the charts on page 10.

link1

In contrast, the data and analysis in this paper suggests that he is far dumber than that:

link2

Finally, in contrast to the analysis showiing that he is dumber than a pet rock, the following
paper shows (fairly clearly to me) that he IS in fact a pet rock:

link3

When you post a link, particularly one that does NOT support your point of view, then it gives
the impression that is was just something that came up in a key word search. While I do
not think that is the case here, I have seen posters who did just that, and blithely posted
links that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, they simply mentioned something like
"Pet' and 'Rocks'.

Wayne

M

michaelmozina

UFmbutler":256zmix9 said:
That's a fine assumption and I agree with it. However, my point is that I don't believe enough material could possibly not reach escape velocity to re-ignite fusion, thus re-giving birth to a star.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. It's been busy at work this week and I have had company at my house for the past few days.

You're going to have to think about this issue a bit "differently" than you are used to, and consider the implication of heavy neutron material being the "primordial" substance of the universe. It can "break apart" in collision events, blow apart when it reaches a critically low density and generally release itself in the form of protons and electrons, current flow being the logical outcome of such a scenario.

It's hard to wrap your head around at first because it's essentially backwards from everything we've been taught in school. I was taught that the 'bang" released only hydrogen and light elements, when in fact these may simply be by product substances from the breaking apart, or decay of heavy neutron material. You have to look at the problem from the implication of neutron material being the primordial material. One has to really reconsider all the implications of something like a supernova. Neutron material can "fling off" into orbit and or fling off and blow apart almost immediately. Eventually the neutron material evaporate and reaches a critical mass and the whole thing explodes. Any parts of neutron material that survive the blast in the core will tend to gravitationally attract any hydrogen atoms it can find, and the whole process begins again, albeit somewhat differently and probably at a smaller scale.

I'm still looking for some papers related to 'star formation' that I think might help my case from other outside sources. I must say however that this idea does make sense, but it has far reaching implications for astronomy as a whole. It's a radically different way of approaching astronomy because it implies "primordial motion" of heavy neutron cores in "black holes" (not necessarily infinite density), and inside pulsars and "naked neutron" stars that lack hydrogen and other elements due the nature of it's last explosion and it's lack of materials in the general vicinity. Whatever elements are released in stellar explosions are going to be draw toward whatever neutron material in the vicinity and its will gravitationally attract any other elements in the area. Matter will again draw itself together, and collect around heavy gravity wells inside spacetime. The key change in thinking is the idea that hydrogen is the primordial substance, and begin to think in terms of heavy neutron cores being the 'primordial substance' that came from the "bang" and deteriorate into other elements on the periodic table over time.

I don't even understand why we need a new method of star formation.

My website is devoted to that topic. Those satellite images and that heliosiesmology data insist that the old model isn't "complete". There may indeed still be hydrogen fusion occurring near the core, but presence of "current flow" in IMO undeniable. There is a need IMO to switch our thinking on astronomy as a whole, starting with the implications of the Yohkoh, SOHO, TRACE, Hinode, STEREO, GEOS and other satellite images. Those million degree coronal loops need to be "explained", as does the continuous flow of accelerated hydrogen and helium from the sun.

We see it forming in standard ways all the time, in dusty cores of molecular clouds. Not around supernova remnants(where around means the remnant is the protostar we see).

In Manuel's model, the 'protostar" is the neutron core. It creates those molecular clouds by reverting itself to hydrogen and lighter elements and by fusing them back together again in "star", like the one in our backyard.

On a side note, I am working on an observation proposal for the SPICA mission ( http://www.ir.isas.jaxa.jp/SPICA/ ) as well as the APEX ( http://www.eso.org/public/astronomy/tel ... /apex.html ) instrument, along with some other telescopes to study the process of massive star formation/star cluster formation more closely, studying samples of each stage of evolution, starting with the initial starless core in a molecular cloud. If you agree with this mode of star formation, where a nearby supernova can trigger an event of star formation(although it doesn't HAVE to occur for stars to form) via shocks, then we agree and we can stop arguing. It is the contention that a star can form on top of a remnant that I have a problem with.

I have great faith that all materials will attempt to "clump" around heavier gravity wells, irrespective of the material involved. All of it will attempt to rotate around the nearest heavy gravity well it can find, and from the perspective of a galaxy, that is the "black hole" (not necessarily infinite density) at the core of the galaxy. There may be more than one of them in orbit around each other. The implication of our papers is that this is a 'clump" of neutron material that does not achieve infinite density due to neutron repulsion. The nuclear chemistry side of that argument is best explained by Manuel himself. Keep in mind that recent papers cite the fact that neutrons, while electrically neutral, have an inner and outer "shell" that surround and more positively charged layer sandwiched in between the negatively charged layers. I cited an article that that study of neutron structure a few pages ago.

We know where stars are forming and from where, and it is not on top of remnants. You know my view from this from my paper that I posted here in April or whenever it was, so if you have a problem with it tell me specifically what it is and I'll address it.

Keep in mind that in "star forming" regions, the neutron stars are "grouped' in a way that allows them to blow material back and forth to each other over time. One pulsar or "neutron star" might remain "naked' until a few of it's surrounding friends experiences a 'supernova" event and blows material back in it's direction. This "trading" of material could go on for a very long time.

I'm the first to admit that this theory works in precisely the opposite way of "standard astronomy". It's practically the absolute opposite of standard theory because it presumes that neutron (heavy material) is the primordial substance and it has always been moving and colliding with other objects and decaying into various elements. In this model hydrogen is simply the most abundant elements in the universe (outside of heavy neutron material) because neutrons decay into protons and electrons and eventually form hydrogen. Hydrogen can "fuse" into heavier elements over time, but most of material flowing from stars is hydrogen and helium because they are most easily accelerated toward the heliosphere. Whereas the heavier elements tend to fall back toward the star (in the form of coronal rain), the lighter hydrogen and helium atoms easily escape the gravity well due to charge attraction with the heliiosphere.

I suggest you have a couple of beers, chill out, and just give the idea some thought. Keep in mind that does in fact require a radically different thought process, but once you get used to the idea, it's actually very interesting, particularly the neutron repulsion aspect combined with charge attraction/repulsions. This does tend to explain the constant source of electrical energy from the sun which we observe in the solar atmosphere. It explains a lot of things that standard solar theory does not explain, including IMO the material on my website. Enjoy your weekend. I'll probably post here a bit here and there, but I will take some time off from everything this weekend and just "chill". I suggest you do the same and just give the idea some thought. Keep in mind that it should be obvious that gravity will work as you expect it will work and it will tend to collect material into larger objects over time. The biggest object in the neighborhood that they will tend to form around are the "black holes" and the accretion disk around those black holes, neutrons stars, pulsars and other heavy objects in the galaxy, including but not limited to stars and planets, comets, etc.

K

kg

UFmbutler":2ngxgtkk said:
....We know where stars are forming and from where, and it is not on top of remnants....

Please, I mentioned this in this thread more than once. Nobody has commented or corrected me if I'm wrong but I think it is an important point here. An object such as a white dwarf has nearly the mass of the sun in a earthish size volume. If you add gas to it, (it doesn't matter where it comes from a molecular cloud or from the surface of a companion star) it will explode as a nova. These are reletively common, well observed and moddled. A stellar remnant can't be reworked back into a star! There was even an article in this months Sky and Telescope about novas.

H

harrycostas

G'day from the land of ozzzzzz

Thank you all for the kind words, the Doc said everything is OK, just keep out of the way of buses.

There is a view that supernova remnants are unable to fire up again.

In my opinion its a view that is mistaken.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080704.html
SN 1006 Supernova Remnant

Explanation: A new star, likely the brightest supernova in recorded human history, lit up planet Earth's sky in the year 1006 AD. The expanding debris cloud from the stellar explosion, found in the southerly constellation of Lupus, still puts on a cosmic light show across the electromagnetic spectrum. In fact, this composite view includes X-ray data in blue from the Chandra Observatory, optical data in yellowish hues, and radio image data in red. Now known as the SN 1006 supernova remnant, the debris cloud appears to be about 60 light-years across and is understood to represent the remains of a white dwarf star. Part of a binary star system, the compact white dwarf gradually captured material from its companion star. The buildup in mass finally triggered a thermonuclear explosion that destroyed the dwarf star. Because the distance to the supernova remnant is about 7,000 light-years, that explosion actually happened 7,000 years before the light reached Earth in 1006. Shockwaves in the remnant accelerate particles to extreme energies and are thought to be a source of the mysterious cosmic rays.

Most remnants are tooo far and too small and the extreme magnetic fields that exist in such stars as pulsars reduces that amount of light escaping making it very difficult to see. You can see the power of such magnetic fields in sun spots.

M

MeteorWayne

This is disingenuous. Your assertion (near as I can tell, since you steadfastly refuse to state what you assertion is) is that unaccompanied stellar remnants can turn into new stars.

Binary systems are a whole different situation, which is not what you said.

H

harrycostas

G'day

Darn I wanted to post this one in the previous post.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070107.html

Explanation: What's causing those odd rings in supernova 1987A? In 1987, the brightest supernova in recent history occurred in the Large Magellanic Clouds. At the center of the picture is an object central to the remains of the violent stellar explosion. When the Hubble Space Telescope was pointed at the supernova remnant in 1994, however, the existence of curious rings was confirmed. The origins of these rings still remains a mystery. Speculation into the cause of the rings includes beamed jets emanating from a
dense star left over from the supernova
, and a superposition of two stellar winds ionized by the supernova explosion.

The rings are caused by the hour glass formation.

One more point, we know that some form of dynamo exists in stars, what better start can a Star have by having a dynamo left over from a supernova.

We also expect the formation of a solar envelope to form once a Neutron star such as a Pulsar cools down and ther by reducing the pulsating magnetic fields that keep on ejecting solar envelope matter away. If the outgoing is greater than the infalling than the solar envelope wll not form. When the infall becomes greater then the turbulence created by the dymao mixes the solar envelope matter creating a new phase in star formation .

H

harrycostas

G'day from the land of ozzzzz

Once your in the link Slide the cursor over this spectacular wide field view and it will reveal the location of objects embedded in The Gum Nebula, including the Vela supernova remnant.

The Gum Nebula
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060519.html

Explanation: Named for Australian astronomer Colin Stanley Gum (1924-1960), The Gum Nebula is so large and close it is actually hard to see. In fact, we are only about 450 light-years from the front edge and 1,500 light-years from the back edge of this cosmic cloud of glowing hydrogen gas. Covered in this 41 degree-wide mosaic of H-alpha images, the faint emission region is otherwise easy to lose against the background of Milky Way stars. The complex nebula is thought to be a supernova remnant over a million years old, sprawling across the southern constellations Vela and Puppis. Sliding your cursor over this spectacular wide field view will reveal the location of objects embedded in The Gum Nebula, including the Vela supernova remnant.

K

kg

harrycostas":3kvgiwfh said:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080704.html
SN 1006 Supernova Remnant

Explanation: A new star, likely the brightest supernova in recorded human history, lit up planet Earth's sky in the year 1006 AD. The expanding debris cloud from the stellar explosion, found in the southerly constellation of Lupus, still puts on a cosmic light show across the electromagnetic spectrum. In fact, this composite view includes X-ray data in blue from the Chandra Observatory, optical data in yellowish hues, and radio image data in red. Now known as the SN 1006 supernova remnant, the debris cloud appears to be about 60 light-years across and is understood to represent the remains of a white dwarf star. Part of a binary star system, the compact white dwarf gradually captured material from its companion star. The buildup in mass finally triggered a thermonuclear explosion that destroyed the dwarf star.

Ok, this is what I was talking about. First of all this was a "new" star in the sense that there wasn't a bright star in the sky there previous to 1006 AD. This star was only visable for only days or weeks. This is mislabled as a "supernova", it's actually a nova. This is what happens when you add mass to stellar remnent...it explodes. It does not form a new star.

H

harrycostas

G'day kg

There is hundreds of different stars, most people think along the lines of our Sun.

In the case where the Star goes complete supernova, leaving no single dominant remnant, the fragments make do and if able apply the law that particles cluster in space and if given enough time may form a new star.

Your right about nova.

As for adding mass to a nova and exploding , its not that simple.

You need to look at the dynamo that creates the jets that produces the so called explosion.

This link may be informative it may also indicate that some stars will collect matter via accretion.
http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.4241
The role of thermal pressure in jet launching

Authors: Noam Soker (Technion, Israel)
(Submitted on 28 Jun 2007)

Abstract: I present and discuss a unified scheme for jet launching that is based on stochastic dissipation of the accretion disk kinetic energy, mainly via shock waves. In this scheme, termed thermally-launched jet model, the kinetic energy of the accreted mass is transferred to internal energy, e.g., heat or magnetic energy. The internal energy accelerates a small fraction of the accreted mass to high speeds and form jets. For example, thermal energy forms a pressure gradient that accelerates the gas. A second acceleration stage is possible wherein the primary outflow stretches magnetic field lines. The field lines then reconnect and accelerate small amount of mass to very high speeds. This double-stage acceleration process might form highly relativistic jets from black holes and neutron stars. The model predicts that detail analysis of accreting brown dwarfs that launch jets will show the mass accretion rate to be larger than 10^{-9}-10^{-8} Mo/year, which is higher than present claims in the literature.

U

UFmbutler

kg":1gv946w6 said:
UFmbutler":1gv946w6 said:
....We know where stars are forming and from where, and it is not on top of remnants....

Please, I mentioned this in this thread more than once. Nobody has commented or corrected me if I'm wrong but I think it is an important point here. An object such as a white dwarf has nearly the mass of the sun in a earthish size volume. If you add gas to it, (it doesn't matter where it comes from a molecular cloud or from the surface of a companion star) it will explode as a nova. These are reletively common, well observed and moddled. A stellar remnant can't be reworked back into a star! There was even an article in this months Sky and Telescope about novas.

OK, I took Michael's advice and had a few beers(gators season has started again woooo), but I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Are you disagreeing with me? Why did you quote me? I agree with this. If you add enoug mass to a white dwarf it will approach the Chandrasekhar mass and explode.

K

kg

UFmbutler":3vfg23sn said:
OK, I took Michael's advice and had a few beers(gators season has started again woooo), but I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Are you disagreeing with me? Why did you quote me? I agree with this. If you add enoug mass to a white dwarf it will approach the Chandrasekhar mass and explode.

I wasn't dissagreeing with you at all, I was just wondering why you were leaving this out of the conversation. I thought what was being proposed in this thread (see quote) was that dead stars could be rejuvinated into new stars by adding fresh material to them.

harrycostas":3vfg23sn said:
We also expect the formation of a solar envelope to form once a Neutron star such as a Pulsar cools down and ther by reducing the pulsating magnetic fields that keep on ejecting solar envelope matter away. If the outgoing is greater than the infalling than the solar envelope wll not form. When the infall becomes greater then the turbulence created by the dymao mixes the solar envelope matter creating a new phase in star formation .

If the question is "can a dead star be rejuvinated by adding new material to it" then the answer is "no, it will expode before it reforms into a new star".

U

UFmbutler

I was just trying to address michael specifically in that post, where we were talking about the possibility for a star to form on top of a neutron star remnant. Either way, all the physics I know of prohibit such a thing from occurring.

H

harrycostas

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzz

Hello drwayne

Thank you for the advice, I will take it onboard.

G'day kg

You said

If the question is "can a dead star be rejuvinated by adding new material to it" then the answer is "no, it will expode before it reforms into a new star".

Whats a dead star?

Why should a star explode by adding matter to it?

H

harrycostas

G'day

Just thinking aloud

If a Neuton Star is allowed to cool down it may form a solar envelope, its position and extent would be dertermined by the turbulence created by the dipole jets of the centre core.

If the Neutron Star accretes too much matter it is possible to form a transient phase to quark or some composite. There is still the possibility of forming a halo, this maybe seen as a microquarsar and located in the centre of star clusters.

M

MeteorWayne

harrycostas":2zwt4437 said:
Why should a star explode by adding matter to it?

This is really basic stellar physics. When enough mass accumulates it ignites in a nova explosion.

M

MeteorWayne

This thread seems destined for the unexplained, since more unrelated links continue to be posted, and what is posted continues to ignore current physics.

H

harrycostas

G'day MeteorWayne

You said

This thread seems destined for the unexplained, since more unrelated links continue to be posted, and what is posted continues to ignore current physics.

You said if matter is added to a star than it will go nova. Maybe so!

How will it explode?

What is the process and the trigger?

M

MeteorWayne

Gee you would think someone as knowledgeable about stellar evolution as you would know this basic question. Here's a highly technical explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova

{-----------------------------------------------------------------}

U

UFmbutler

harrycostas":34t8r1gf said:
G'day MeteorWayne

You said

You said if matter is added to a star than it will go nova. Maybe so!

How will it explode?

What is the process and the trigger?

How could you have (supposedly) read all these technical papers but have never stumbled across the concept of the Chandrasekhar mass? Since a star such as a White Dwarf is made of degenerate matter, where all the electrons are compressed into their lowest energy levels, you can reach a mass where this becomes unstable and the star will explode. Read up on the Pauli Exclusion Principle and the concept of degenerate matter. You have a lot of basic physics missing that you need to get down before you start reading journal articles. You can reread the papers all you want until you think you understand them, but it is clear that you really don't, you just convince yourself that you do.

Your recent links have been showing us supernova remnants but...so what? How do they suggest that they are starting to make a new star? They don't and you are just wasting our time.

K

kg

When the term "stellar remnant" is being used in this thread are we talking about the gas expanding away from where the star previously was, or are we talking about the core that is left over (white dwarf, neutron star, black hole)?

H

harrycostas

G'day MetorWayne

I asked the question to find what you know. I did not say I did not have an idea.

As for your explanation from wiki. Is that the best you can do. Because if that's it. You will need to read up on the subject.

UFmbutler said:

How could you have (supposedly) read all these technical papers but have never stumbled across the concept of the Chandrasekhar mass? Since a star such as a White Dwarf is made of degenerate matter, where all the electrons are compressed into their lowest energy levels, you can reach a mass where this becomes unstable and the star will explode. Read up on the Pauli Exclusion Principle and the concept of degenerate matter. You have a lot of basic physics missing that you need to get down before you start reading journal articles. You can reread the papers all you want until you think you understand them, but it is clear that you really don't, you just convince yourself that you do.

This statement has no meaning its all over the place.

I'm well read on Pauli Excusion Principle, degenerate and condensed matter and most of the transion phases and their quantum critical points. Also the property of double layers and reconnection magnetic fields creating the dipole jets that we observe in Neutron stars and so called black holes. Also the property of quark matter that creates the spinor. So please do not tell me what I do not know. So far the responses have been so elementary a primary child could have made them.

A

AlnitakAlnilamMintaka

Does anyone know like different types of novae and what causes them? I know an Ia is a binary star with a red giant and white dwarf blah blah blah... but others? I know subernova, but what is that? Ib? Ic? II?

O

origin

Harry said to MeteorWayne:
I asked the question to find what you know. I did not say I did not have an idea.

As for your explanation from wiki. Is that the best you can do. Because if that's it. You will need to read up on the subject.

I say:

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Give me a break. OK Harry, how old are you? It seems clear that we are dealing with a youngster.

M

michaelmozina

kg":36ctlirc said:
When the term "stellar remnant" is being used in this thread are we talking about the gas expanding away from where the star previously was, or are we talking about the core that is left over (white dwarf, neutron star, black hole)?

The latter. Any expanding material that does not reach escape velocity will recollect around the core, or form planets, moons, comets, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts