String Theory explained with Nuclear Explosions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kxmode

This concept came to me a few days ago. So an atom is split resulting in a nuclear explosion. The core of this explosion would be like the center of a black hole, and thus the absence of substance.<br /><br />Like black holes in the universe, the idea is that strings of energy expel out from the center of the split atom at VERY high rates of speed. As these insanely kinetic strings of energy hit potential strings of energy the result would exponentially add fuel to the explosion. Because energy is expelled from a black hole in a straight line this could explain why nuclear explosion have the classic “broccoli” shape of a stalky stem, rather than blossoming out like traditional explosions.<br /><br />Radiactive subnuclear particles found in the core of the split atom and string energy in the surrounding environment could also explain why in areas where nuclear devices have been detonated are still readioactive.<br /><br />It is possible that a small black hole level event on Earth from a nuclear explosion would show the relationships between how gravity and quantum mechantics work together to produce something awe-inspiring. <br /><br />Plausible?

R

rogers_buck

I hope people aren't too rough on you in their responses since you are doing good by thinking about these things. I suspect you will draw some fire though for the broccoli reference. Calling the trademark residual of an atomic bomb explosion a "broccoli cloud" will get you beat up. Still, you are thinking green, so I will encourage you to read Green's books. The "Fabric of the Cosmos" is an excellent book and I believe "The Elegant Universe" might be a good starting point. <br /><br />Having said that, the short answer to your question is - I don't really know what you are asking. There are too many assumed analogs, too many self-defined terms, and I think your jumping around through too many levels of scale. You might well have a good point here (most good physics comes from intuition) but you need to better formulate your hypothesis.

K

kxmode

The "broccoli" analogy was my "laymens" description in describing the shape of a nuclear explosion below the mushroom cloud. <br /><br />I'm "green" to these sorts of things. But every now and then I get these ideas in my head about spacetime, and whatnot. Unfortunately because I don't have a degree in these fields trying to "explain" it to you guys is sort of difficult. So I just throw out all that I can think of in the hopes that it might spark some sort of idea about the missing link between string theory, gravity and quantum mechanics.

N

najab

Short answer: No.<p>A black hole is formed by the gravitational collapse of a massive star. Basically it is so massive that it falls in on itself and doesn't stop, and everything gets squashed down to a single point. Nothing like that happens in a fission bomb, there is no large mass and there are no extreme gravitational forces. The energy release in a fission reaction is largely due to high-velocity particles - not "strings of energy", though on a deeper level string theory holds that all matter is composed of short vibrating strings.</p>

R

rogers_buck

I would encourage you to read the authors out there. Hawking and Green I think are excellent. Perhaps some others here will have some even better suggestions. The Internet is also a fantastic tool for investigation and learning. <br /><br />Oh, when I said green, I meant "green" as in brocolli. A segway to reccomending Green's book.<br />

Y

yevaud

Another good author is Mitchio Kaku.<br /><br />The mushroom shape is caused simply by the dynamics of the atmosphere. When the dust/smoke/soot from the explosion reaches a certain height, it spreads out, causing the distinctive shape. But mushroom clouds have been seen from Volcanic eruptions and conventional explosions too.<br /><br />And don't worry about asking off, speculative questions. If you're willing to learn (and you seem to), we're all more than happy to help you. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

just_curious

I believe the stalk part of the nuclear explosion is caused from the updraft created by the explosion.

V

vogon13

Nukes detonated at high altitude yield spherical forms.<br /><br />I highly recommend the Peter Kuran restored nuke test footage DVD. Fantastic images of many tests. Most I had never seen before. <br /><br />Caution: Footage of setting pigs on fire with a nuclear weapon are disturbing to watch. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

O

odysseus145

So a nuclear explosion on the moon, for example, would be spherical? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

vogon13

Where vaporized components of nuke strike surface you will have distortion of the sphericity of the detonation. Upper portion will hold a nice curve. Intense flash of radiation (light, heat, x-rays, etc.) will zap area beneath detonation and there will probably be spalling, dust release, vaporization of some of the crust components, most likely blast will look very different than one on earth.<br /><br />By the way, there is a UN treaty that makes setting a nuke off on the moon a big no-no.<br /><br />Additionally, a nuke set off on, near or under surface could accelerate materials into space for a very long distance (exceed, what is it, 2 km/sec I think, and you orbit stuff) and you will threaten spacecraft orbiting moon. Like you watching the nuke from orbit.<br /><br />Fireballs from a nuke on Mars might be very interesting. Suspect low atmospheric pressure would allow fireballs to form at much larger size than they do in earth's atmosphere.<br /><br />We are probably aggravating some one concerned with pristine Mars with all our talk of nukes around the solar system.<br /><br />Would love to set off a big nuke close to Saturn's rings and watch differential rotation fill in the 'hole' after the blast. Might actually be a good experiment in ring dynamics. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

R

rogers_buck

I think it was Clarke in Rama that described a nuke being set off in proximity of the sun so that the EMP could be used to radar map all the small bodies in the solar system. A "ping".

V

vogon13

Additionally, chemical energy releases, if large enough, can generate the 'broccoli shape', too (usually refered to as mushroom cloud). Exploding 55 gallon drums of hydrocarbons in warehouse fires usually do a good impression. Saw footage of 100 tons of TNT do it too.<br /><br />Don't try this at home. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts