STS-119 processing

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zhang

<p>NSF has some info about this issue:</p><p>http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2009/02/sts-119-major-effort-through-fcv-flight-rationale/</p><p>&nbsp;there's a pic of the FCV related to the liberation event. </p><p>From the article: </p><p>"Another FCV risk relates to the potential of venting from the External Tank during first stage flight, which may cause the ET&rsquo;s Thermal Protection System (TPS) foam to&nbsp;catch fire."</p><p>Any idea about when the valve did break up during STS-126 ascent? </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>NSF has some info about this issue:http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2009/02/sts-119-major-effort-through-fcv-flight-rationale/there's a pic of the FCV related to the liberation event. From the article: "Another FCV risk relates to the potential of venting from the External Tank during first stage flight, which may cause the ET&rsquo;s Thermal Protection System (TPS) foam to&nbsp;catch fire."Any idea about when the valve did break up during STS-126 ascent? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by zhang</DIV></p><p>The hydrogen (or Oxygen)&nbsp;venting is the case of too much flow through the FCVs. The too loww pressure is the worse case as I noted above.&nbsp;</p><p>The hydrogen fire burning the ET insulation is not the worse failure mode! For the insulation burning to take place the venting would have to happen early in the ascent and the burning would not be a problem.</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>No earlier than 27 Feb ....http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.htmlThe valve issue ... seems to be a tricky challenge.Is there (or not) a limit in the extension of the launch period to the end of February or even March ? &nbsp; <br />Posted by montmein69</DIV><br /><br />From the SDC front page article:</p><p>"</p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial">Discovery has until March 12 to launch toward the space station and begin its 14-day construction flight. If the shuttle is unable to fly by then, NASA would stand down until after a Russian Soyuz spacecraft launches a new crew to the station around March 26, Herring said."</span></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

montmein69

Any idea when today's FRR will announce its conclusions and the decision for "go' or "nogo" ?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Any idea when today's FRR will announce its conclusions and the decision for "go' or "nogo" ? <br />Posted by montmein69</DIV><br /><br />Officially, NET 5PM EST (2200 UT) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Officially, NET 5PM EST (2200 UT) <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Now NET 7 PM EST&nbsp; (0000 UT, about&nbsp; 1 & 1/2 hours from now).</p><p>It will be live on NASA TV. If and when it happens...</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

Thanks for the heads up Wayne, turning in now so I don't miss it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for the heads up Wayne, turning in now so I don't miss it. <br />Posted by earth_bound_misfit</DIV><br /><br />Aaauuuurrrggghh, now NET 8PM EST, that's 0100 UT. Good night Europe. I'll try and do good scribblenotes for those that have to sleep. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

I wonder why the delay, maybe they're still indecided what to do. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>Now NET 8:30 EST.....</p><p>Edit now NET 9 PM EST (0200 UT)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Now NET 8:30 EST.....Edit now NET 9 PM EST (0200 UT) <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Make that 9.15 now. I'll raise ya to 9.30 :( </p><p>Opps 9.30 now, do we have 10? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Make that 9.15 now. I'll raise ya to 9.30 :( Opps 9.30 now, do we have 10? <br />Posted by earth_bound_misfit</DIV><br /><br />Now 9:45, but I'll put my money on 10:00 :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

<p>I'll see ya 10 and raise you to 11.</p><p>Hey Wayne, have you tried my script? Personally now, I couldn't go back to Pluck default. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

T

Testing

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'll see ya 10 and raise you to 11.Hey Wayne, have you tried my script? Personally now, I couldn't go back to Pluck default. <br />Posted by earth_bound_misfit</DIV><br /><br />Now 2230 EST. They want the Newsies tired and cranky. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

It's on now (finally). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

T

Testing

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'll see ya 10 and raise you to 11.Hey Wayne, have you tried my script? Personally now, I couldn't go back to Pluck default. <br />Posted by earth_bound_misfit</DIV></p><p>Now live. No Call, put off till Wednesday.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

dougbaker

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Now live. No Call, put off till Wednesday. <br />Posted by Testing</DIV></p><p>much work, but no decision. NO root cause.</p>

E

earth_bound_misfit

This puppy ain't getting off the ground anytime soon by the sounds of it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

M

montmein69

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This puppy ain't getting off the ground anytime soon by the sounds of it. <br /> Posted by earth_bound_misfit</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Part of the comment on SFN :</p><p><font color="#008000">&nbsp;As a result, senior management decided not to set an official launch date and Discovery's mission to deliver a final set of solar arrays to the international space station was put on hold pending additional analysis and discussions next Wednesday.</font></p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>From NASA:</p><p>Technicians at NASA's Kennedy Space Center are removing space shuttle Discovery&rsquo;s three gaseous hydrogen flow control valves today. <br /><br />Managers continue to evaluate test data in an effort to gather enough information to finalize a plan setting a new target launch date for the STS-119 mission to the International Space Station.<br /><br />Though the plan has not yet been completed, technicians will install flow control valves that have flown fewer times than the ones currently in Discovery's main propulsion system.<br /><br />The plan is expected to be finalized today. Once senior managers are in agreement, a Flight Readiness Review meeting will be rescheduled to assess the readiness for launch and set a formal launch target date. <br /><br />Meanwhile, Discovery&rsquo;s astronauts are making a quick trip to Kennedy for the day to refresh their training and understanding of the hardware and flight equipment they'll use during the mission.</p><p>From Spaceflightnow:</p><p>NASA managers today ordered engineers to replace suspect hydrogen flow control valves aboard the shuttle Discovery with valves that have less flight time in a bid to reduce the chances of in-flight cracks that could lead to debris in a pressurization line. If ongoing tests and higher fidelity computer models continue to show positive results, Discovery could be cleared for a delayed launch attempt by around March 12, sources said today. That would give NASA just two or three launch opportunities before standing down until April 7 to avoid conflict with a Russian Soyuz mission to the international space station. </p><p>A decision to set a new target launch date could come as early as Wednesday, but sources said it was not a done deal because engineers are still debating the root cause of the valve problem that has grounded Discovery. The results of ongoing tests, however, along with the predictions of more realistic computer modeling, may convince skeptics the shuttle's internal plumbing can withstand impacts from valve debris should cracks develop in flight. </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

[ <h3><span class="titlefield">Space Shuttle Program Completes New Plan for Next Launch</span></h3><span class="datefield">Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:10:55 AM UTC+1100</span><br /><br /><p>NASA's Space Shuttle Program has established a plan that could support shuttle Discovery's launch to the International Space Station, tentatively targeted for March 12. An exact target launch date will be determined as work progresses with the shuttle's three gaseous hydrogen flow control valves.<br /><br />At the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, technicians have started removing Discovery's three valves, two of which will undergo detailed inspection. Approximately 4,000 images of each valve will be reviewed for evidence of cracks. Valves that have flown fewer times will be installed in Discovery. Engineering teams also will complete analysis and testing to understand the consequences if a valve piece were to break off and strike pressurization lines between the shuttle and external fuel tank. Hardware modifications may be made to the pressurization lines to add extra protection in the unlikely event debris is released.<br /><br />NASA and contractor teams have been working to identify what caused damage to a flow control valve on shuttle Endeavour during its November 2008 flight. Part of the main propulsion system, the valves channel gaseous hydrogen from the main engines to the external tank. After a thorough review of shuttle Discovery's readiness for flight on Feb. 20, NASA managers decided more understanding of the valve work was required before launching Discovery.<br /><br />The Space Shuttle Program will hold a meeting March 4 to review new data and assess ongoing work. Managers then will determine whether to move forward with a flight readiness review March 6. <br /><br />If Discovery&rsquo;s tentative launch date holds, there will be no effect on the next two shuttle launches: STS-125 to NASA's Hubble Space Telescope and STS-127 to the International Space Station</p><p>-----</p><p>My prayers for the March 12 launch date to be met&nbsp;and the May 12 Hubble flight is not delayed ! </p>

S

scottb50

NASA Moves Shuttle Launch Target Up to March 11

Tariq Malik
Senior Editor
SPACE.com tariq Malik
senior Editor
space.com – 27 mins ago

This story was updated at 7:02 p.m. EST.

NASA's space shuttle Discovery is now set to launch no earlier than March 11 - one day earlier than previously planned - after nearly a month of delays due to suspect fuel valves, the space agency announced late Wednesday.

Mission managers set the new launch target after reviewing the status of Discovery's new fuel control valves, which were replaced last week. The shuttle is now slated to launch toward the International Space Station on March 11 at 9:20 p.m. EDT (0120 March 12 GMT) pending a final discussion by top NASA officials on Friday.

Until SG makes his way back!

T

trailrider

"All of the other analysis, the impact testing and the fact that we've got poppets and fuel control valves that are essentially crack-free, gave everyone comfort that we could fly without a modification."

What does "essentially crack-free" mean? Either they are or they aren't. :? Unfortunately, I am not privy to the engineering analysis and details, so I can only go by the quote. But this makes me somewhat nervous. One wonders if there is an acute case of "Go fever" here due to the FY2009 Budget Proposal having targeted the Shuttle program for termination in 2010, leaving the schedule extremely tight.

Sierra Golf, please comment if at all possible!

M

MeteorWayne

Wed, 04 Mar 2009 05:51:12 PM EST

NASA will hold a news conference Friday, March 6, following a review of space shuttle Discovery's readiness for flight and an assessment of shuttle flow control valve testing and inspection. The news conference will begin no earlier than 2:30 p.m. EST at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

The flight readiness review meeting is expected to set an official launch date for the STS-119 mission to the International Space Station. For planning purposes, liftoff now is tentatively targeted for March 11 at 9:20 p.m. EDT

The Space Shuttle Program moved the targeted launch a day earlier following extensive review of flow control valve inspection data and assessment of ongoing and planned work. A formal presentation of the flow control work and a thorough evaluation of all aspects of flight will be made at Friday's readiness review.
Three flow control valves, one for each space shuttle main engine, channel gaseous hydrogen from the engines through the main propulsion system and back to the external fuel tank. This flow regulation maintains the tank's structural integrity and delivers liquid hydrogen to the engines at the correct pressure. NASA and contractor teams have been working to identify what caused damage to a flow control valve on shuttle Endeavour during its November 2008 flight.

Discovery’s seven astronauts are going into quarantine tonight at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in preparation for next week’s possible launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.