STS-119 processing

Page 6 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bobble_bob

Yeah i know we care and also other Brits on these forums and other forums out there. Not many of us tho to fly the flag for Nasa and the shuttle program.

So far so good it seems for launch tonight

M

MeteorWayne

nimbus":2fg3sitm said:
And they never found exactly what was leaking this wednesday?

Hmm, wierd, seem to have lost a post.
No they never found a smoking gun for the problem. Testing at ambient temp showed nothing. So they did the best thing, which was to replace all the seals, tighten everything up, and fill with liquid hydrogen again. The only way to test it was the same as working toward a launch, so that's what they did. So far, everything looks great.

B

bobble_bob

MeteorWayne":w9qt3qzy said:
nimbus":w9qt3qzy said:
And they never found exactly what was leaking this wednesday?

Hmm, wierd, seem to have lost a post.
No they never found a smoking gun for the problem. Testing at ambient temp showed nothing. So they did the best thing, which was to replace all the seals, tighten everything up, and fill with liquid hydrogen again. The only way to test it was the same as working toward a launch, so that's what they did. So far, everything looks great.

In the days and weeks to come, will they do further testing to try and find out what caused it?

M

MeteorWayne

I'm 100% sure they will, but they may never find a confirmed answer. It seems a seal leaked. It could not be detected except at cryo temps, which involves liquid hydrogen, so could not be safely tested. Changing all the seals fixed it.

'Nuff said :)

M

MeteorWayne

Skies are exceptionally clear at this time!! I mean clear blue, no cumulus at all!!

From Spaceflightnow.com.

Justin Ray.

2118 GMT (5:18 p.m. EDT)
T-minus 90 minutes and counting. Countdown clocks continue to tick down to T-minus 20 minutes where the next hold is planned. Activities remain on track for liftoff at 7:43 p.m.

The countdown is proceeding smoothly with no significant technical issues. The weather predictions still call for an 80 percent chance of acceptable conditions. The only concern could be a low-cloud ceiling developing.

At this point in the count, the Ground Launch Sequencer software that will control the final nine minutes of the countdown has been initialized. Also, the solid rocket boosters' gas generator heaters in the hydraulic power units are turned on, the aft skirt gaseous nitrogen purge is starting and the rate gyro assemblies (RGAs) are being activated. The RGAs are used by the orbiter's navigation system to determine rates of motion of the boosters during the first stage of flight.

Andrew Brown.

N

nimbus

MeteorWayne":1hei6yk5 said:
I'm 100% sure they will, but they may never find a confirmed answer. It seems a seal leaked. It could not be detected except at cryo temps, which involves liquid hydrogen, so could not be safely tested. Changing all the seals fixed it.

'Nuff said :)
I sure hope so. Two loose ends in a single pre-launch ..

M

MeteorWayne

bobble_bob":1r37cwhf said:
100% chance of good weather. Is that a first?

It sure as heck is the first I've ever heard in my lifetime history of following Florida launches!!!! :p

S

Smersh

I'm currently watching this on NASA tv. I'm wondering though, how come this is STS-119, when we've already had higher numbers than that? (For example, STS-126 was just mentioned.) Cheers!

B

bobble_bob

Smersh":osgtiw97 said:
I'm currently watching this on NASA tv. I'm wondering though, how come this is STS-119, when we've already had higher numbers than that? (For example, STS-126 was just mentioned.) Cheers!

This was mentioned at the start of the coverage. The order of the launches is decided a long time in advance, and sometimes the order may have to change for one reason or another

From Spaceflightnow.com

Justin Ray.

2143 GMT (5:43 p.m. EDT)
Just two hours remain until the planned liftoff time.

Discovery's 13-day flight will connect the final segment of the space station's truss backbone and deploy the last remaining electricity-generating solar wings, boosting the station to full power.

That added electricity is needed to support doubling the station's resident crew size to six people starting in May, as well as powering the international science laboratory modules.

2140 GMT (5:40 p.m. EDT)
The "go" has been given to close Discovery's hatch.

Andrew Brown.

M

MeteorWayne

About 1 hour to launch; T-16 minutes. There's a built in hold at T-9:00.

No issues that would delay launch.

Weather still 100% go.

T

ThereIWas2

What is in that elevated tank in the background (camera 071)? A while ago a lot of white vapor was coming from it I had not noticed before. I had always thought it held water for the sound suppression system.

E

earth_bound_misfit

SpaceKiwi":29c73bz7 said:
Godspeed Discovery!!
SK

Yes sir.
Nice to see you back in the fold SK. You liking the new forum software?

B

bobble_bob

Have Nasa installed some new cameras? There are some great shots of the orbitor ive never seen before

N

newsartist

The "inflight thread" is now unlocked for all mission posts after launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts