• Launch Day is nearly upon us! Head over to this thread and share your thoughts before, during, and after Crew Dragon finally lifts off.

Question Suggestions for personal telescope

COLGeek

Apr 3, 2020
Greetings,

I have decided it is time to purchase my first "good" personal telescope in many years. I've previously owned (more than 30 years ago) several low-quality reflector and refractor telescopes that were simply not very good.

What recommendations would you offer?

Budget: $3000 max.
Uses: Personal use. Planets, deep space objects, not really looking at the moon or sun. Portability a plus.

rod

Oct 22, 2019
COLGeek, that is a healthy budget :) Orion makes good telescopes, I use an Orion XT10i, cheaper than your limit but reflector on a Dob mount and about 60 lbs. when setup :) TeleVue refractors are excellent too but TeleVue currently is closed because of COVID-19 lock up (I received e-mail notification 21-March). Quite a few shops are closed too, non-essential business it seems :) Some still ship online though. I use a 90-mm refractor and XT10i. Both use 1.25 inch focuser and the 10-inch, will use the 2-inch eyepieces too. I find TeleVue optics excellent, some others on the Forums use TeleVue also. Celestron and Orion are good from reviews I read.

*Portability* is a big issue. The larger the primary mirror, generally the heavier the system will be including the telescope mount like a big equatorial with heavy, counter weights. Here is a shop I use, they do online too, http://www.company7.com/home.html

COLGeek

Apr 3, 2020
COLGeek, that is a healthy budget :) Orion makes good telescopes, I use an Orion XT10i, cheaper than your limit but reflector on a Dob mount and about 60 lbs. when setup :) TeleVue refractors are excellent too but TeleVue currently is closed because of COVID-19 lock up (I received e-mail notification 21-March). Quite a few shops are closed too, non-essential business it seems :) Some still ship online though. I use a 90-mm refractor and XT10i. Both use 1.25 inch focuser and the 10-inch, will use the 2-inch eyepieces too. I find TeleVue optics excellent, some others on the Forums use TeleVue also. Celestron and Orion are good from reviews I read.

*Portability* is a big issue. The larger the primary mirror, generally the heavier the system will be including the telescope mount like a big equatorial with heavy, counter weights. Here is a shop I use, they do online too, http://www.company7.com/home.html
Thanks for the source and info. Will check it out. Much appreciated.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS