Sun question.

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought red giants were older stars, reaching the end of their lives, like Arcturus, Aldebaran, Pollux, etc?<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

N

nexium

Saiph likely ment that a proto star looks like a red giant = big and red. Red giants are older stars, about 13 billion years old for the most massive type k stars, ten billion years is typical for g stars such as our sun, perhaps 3 billion years old is typical for f type stars which have about twice the mass of our sun.<br />It is a tradition that there are only three types of matter, but perhaps more correct that there are a dozen types of matter. Voltage can cause partial ionization at room temperature. Some atoms lose one or more electron leaving the rest of the atom with a positive charge. Most of the gas is still gas or vapor. Vapor might be considerd a different form of matter as it does not obey the gas law, and is present below the boiling point.<br /> Above about 10,000 degrees c = 18,032 f, all or most of the electrons are stripped off the atoms, leaving bare nuclii. This might be considered a 2nd type of plasma which is the condition in our sun and near the center of Jupiter and more massive gas giant planets. Much higher temperatures and pressure are needed for fusion in our sun and a hydrogen bomb.<br />The term degenerate matter is usually reserved for gas giant planets near the center and for compact stars such as white dwarfs and neutron stars, but I would say something simular happens in the core of main sequence stars, but likely has little affect on the fusion. <br />Some other states of matter are Bose-Einstein condensate, white star stuff and neutronium = the stuff that neutron stars are made of. Neil

S

Saiph

red giants are older stars, I was just pointing out how a star can be brighter, but cooler as well.<br /><br />Protostars are quite bright due to their large size, but they are also relatively cool, just like red giants. Their spectral lines however, are quite different (due to lack of fusion byproducts, and different structure) which allow us to distinguish them. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts