sun's trajectory

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KickLaBuka

Hi everybody. I was doing some thinking. Could someone tell me what direction our sun faces as it traverses around the galaxy? What I mean is, is its north pole leading with the sun spinning like a football, or does the north pole face the center of the galaxy? In the same respect, what is the orientation of the solar system? is it at 90° to the galactic plane? In other words, does the radius of the solar system go along the thickness of the galaxy?

Please and Thanks,
KickLaBuka

V

vogon13

If the Milky Way was aligned with the ecliptic, we could conclude the sun (and the solar system) vertical axis is perpendicular to the galactic plane.

If the Milky Way intersected Polaris, we might conclude we are aligned to the galaxy as Uranus is to the sun. (right angle)

A quick perusal of the sky tonight will show, (IIRC) we are kittywompus to the tune of 70 degrees from the ecliptic scenario.

V

vogon13

BTW, this thread (so far) ain't the 'Unexplained' grade piffle we have grown to expect here.

Might consider having this thread moved to Ask The Astronomer.

K

KickLaBuka

Thank you for the reply. That is great news. Please explain further about the kittywompus 70 degrees. The sun's north pole is pointing somewhat in the direction of its travel, and somewhat towards the center of the galaxy? Is that 70 degrees off from its motion, or 20 degrees off from its motion? Did I even understand you right?

Thanks again!!!!

V

vogon13

I am not sure if the eccentricity of the sun's orbit about the center of the Milky Way is known precisely. I suspect it is rather small, we are 30,000 LY out (more or less) and if it changed more than a 1 or 2 thousand LY (every 250,000,000 years) I would be surprised.

IIRC, the point in the sky towards which the solar system is moving is known to high precision, I just don't recall what constellation it is in at the moment.

K

KickLaBuka

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for taking the time. But I am getting two different pieces of information. One says that the sun's axis is in the same plane as its trajectory, and the other piece says that it is at 25° to the galactic plane.

Now this article also says that the sun oscillates 250 light years through the thickness of the galaxy, so does that suggest that this 25° is its trajectory, as well as its tilt? Thus maintaining both of your arguments as valid.

Thanks again,
KLB

M

MeteorWayne

Sorry, KickLaBuka, didn't mean to mislead you. I threw out a fact. I don't really have the time right now to answer all of your questions. Using that bit of info, it will take several hours, that I just don't have right now. I have other projects of higher priority. I will get back to it when I have time, I promise.

Wayne

V

vogon13

The angles add up to roughly 90 degrees.

Might just be looking at orientation to galactic pole, or orientation to galactic equator (if that is the correct terminology).

K

KickLaBuka

I understand that this may belong in "unexplained" phenomenon, but may I request that this be moved to the ask the astronomer forum to provide more exposure? I promise not to include any personal beliefs in this thread.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

MeteorWayne":34lj88xc said:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071124131720/http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/21173/page/2?&print=yes

"The sun's path is inclined about 25 degrees to the plane of the galaxy and is headed toward a region in the constellation of Hercules near its border with Lyra. "

That is a fascinating article MeteorWayne. I did not know about much of what they mentioned until now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.