Sunspots

• Thread starter Fallingstar1971
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fallingstar1971

The Earth and the moon orbit a common center of mass........I believe its not quite in the center of the Earth, but is certainly inside the planet. This causes the Earth to appear to wobble when describing how these objects interact with each other.

The planets and the Sun orbit a common center of mass, with each planet being different and having a different center of mass inside the Sun.

Now I know that these gravitational interactions are small compared with the Suns gravity, but is it possible that all these stress points under the surface of the sun are churning it up and perhaps aiding in sunspot formation?

I only ask because from Earth, when we look at an Exo-Jupiter in orbit around a star, the star wobbles. Thats alot of force, to move an entire star.

In our solar system, we have 4 major players in the outer solar system and 4 minor ones in the inner. (thus far) Would this be enough to churn up the middle of the Sun?

Star

S

Saiph

well...yes, the various gravitational and EM effects of the planets does disturb the sun...the question is 'how much' and 'does it matter' and that...isn't so easy to answer :) That level of complication probably isn't really being investigated yet, as we're still trying to figure out how the sun works without throwing in such interesting tidbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts