Superclusters

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

julian_c

Hi,<br /><br />Does anyone know if the mass of a supercluster is basically equal to the total masses of the component clusters of galaxies? <br /><br />Is there a complication with dark matter?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Julian

P

pyoko

I think you can work out the total mass by looking at how everythig moves relative to everything else. That figure would also include dark matter.<br />This measurement has been done before. That is how they found out the existance of the mysterious Great Attractor. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

J

julian_c

Thanks.<br /><br />So the definition of the mass isn't simply the total masses of the constitiuent clusters?<br /><br />Julian

P

pyoko

I'm no expert, but I guess not. There would be dark matter that plays a big role in how the whole thing moves around. If you count just the normal matter, then your gravitational model of the supercluster would be wrong. Right? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.