supernova?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ktfite

I think I saw a supernova this morning, who would i report this to?

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think I saw a supernova this morning, who would i report this to? <br /> Posted by ktfite</DIV></p><p>Can you describe what you saw?&nbsp; What location in the sky and what time?&nbsp; What is your location?&nbsp; Might it have been an iridium flare or meteor?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

K

ktfite

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Can you describe what you saw?&nbsp; What location in the sky and what time?&nbsp; What is your location?&nbsp; Might it have been an iridium flare or meteor? <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>about 0536 eastern on 25 March 08.&nbsp; it was a bright, stationary 'star' that caught my eye, then just faded out.&nbsp; i checked for clouds and aircraft, but there weren't any.&nbsp; it was about 30ish degrees to the right of the big dipper as seen from north georgia (sorry, i'm a layman).<br /></p>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;about 0536 eastern on 25 March 08.&nbsp; it was a bright, stationary 'star' that caught my eye, then just faded out.&nbsp; i checked for clouds and aircraft, but there weren't any.&nbsp; it was about 30ish degrees to the right of the big dipper as seen from north georgia (sorry, i'm a layman). <br /> Posted by ktfite</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>My best guess (i'm no expert) would be a star appearing to disappear due to atmospheric distortion.&nbsp; It doesn't necessarily mean clouds impeding your vision.&nbsp; Could've been water vapor, aerosols, dust, etc.&nbsp; If I have my orientation correct, you were looking north fairly low in the horizon which means you were looking through alot of atmosphere.</p><p>Witnessing a supernova event actually happening with your own eyes would be an extremely rare event and the afterglow would likely still be visible and all over the mainstream media.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;about 0536 eastern on 25 March 08.&nbsp; it was a bright, stationary 'star' that caught my eye, then just faded out.&nbsp; i checked for clouds and aircraft, but there weren't any.&nbsp; it was about 30ish degrees to the right of the big dipper as seen from north georgia (sorry, i'm a layman). <br /> Posted by ktfite</DIV></p><p>I saw a phenomenon exactly like you described in Helsinki in August '07. An unusually bright stationary star caught my eye in the morning sky, just when I started to ponder on it, it faded away like somebody turned it off.</p><p>Didn't shut down like a lightbulb, but with a fade out of app. one second. I checked carefully for a few minutes and saw no aircrafts. The elevation was almost overhead, so dramatic changes in athmoshpere seem unlikely. Sky was clear and morning twilight already emerging.<br /> </p>

Q

qso1

Keep in mind thin wispy clouds at much higher altitudes reflect very little light from the ground thus making them much harder to see.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

O

origin

<p>Supernovas do not fade out rapidly.&nbsp; They appear rapidly but then slowly fade over an extended period of time.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><strong><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Supernovas do not fade out rapidly.&nbsp; They appear rapidly but then slowly fade over an extended period of time. </strong></p><p><strong>Posted by origin</DIV><br /></strong></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>This is true if the star is already visible.&nbsp; </p><p>It is possible that if a Gamma Ray Burst (GRB) is associated with a supernova, that the GRB may be visible with the naked eye as seen with GRB 080319b.&nbsp; So, it is possible he may have witnessed a long duration GRB that rapidly faded.&nbsp; But I digress, even though it is possible, it would have been spotted by observatories and made headlines within the Astronomy community. </p><p>Besides... you probably have a better chance at winning the lottery twice than witnessing a naked eye GRB with your own eyes.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;about 0536 eastern on 25 March 08.&nbsp; it was a bright, stationary 'star' that caught my eye, then just faded out.&nbsp; i checked for clouds and aircraft, but there weren't any.&nbsp; it was about 30ish degrees to the right of the big dipper as seen from north georgia (sorry, i'm a layman). <br />Posted by ktfite</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Most likely it was an Iridium satellite flare. If you can be more specific about your location, we can look it up.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Or you can go to here: http://heavens-above.com/</p><p>Select your location from the map or database.</p><p>Click on Iridium Flares- next 7 days (under satellites"</p><p>Then when the list comes up, click on Prev (Previous) near the top and it will give you Flares for the previous 7 days.</p><p>I'll bet you'll find one at 5:36 ish&nbsp; that morning!</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>If you need help, or can't get it to work right for you, give us the town and I'll look it up for you.</p><p>Wayne<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

He claimed it to be stationary... wouldn't that preclude it from being an iridium flare? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>He claimed it to be stationary... wouldn't that preclude it from being an iridium flare? <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Iridiums move pretty slowly. Someone unfamiliar with the sky might be so overwhelmed by the brightness, they might not notice the motion unless there are bright stars very close by.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Iridiums move pretty slowly. Someone unfamiliar with the sky might be so overwhelmed by the brightness, they might not notice the motion unless there are bright stars very close by.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Good point... that makes sense.&nbsp; Before I knew what one was, I could see myself not making that destinction, too.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

K

ktfite

no luck, there was a flare about an hour after wahtever it was i saw.&nbsp; thanks for the link, though.&nbsp; <br />

K

ktfite

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I saw a phenomenon exactly like you described in Helsinki in August '07. An unusually bright stationary star caught my eye in the morning sky, just when I started to ponder on it, it faded away like somebody turned it off.Didn't shut down like a lightbulb, but with a fade out of app. one second. I checked carefully for a few minutes and saw no aircrafts. The elevation was almost overhead, so dramatic changes in athmoshpere seem unlikely. Sky was clear and morning twilight already emerging. <br />Posted by aphh</DIV></p><p>sounds just like what i saw.&nbsp; <br /></p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>no luck, there was a flare about an hour after wahtever it was i saw.&nbsp; thanks for the link, though.&nbsp; <br />Posted by ktfite</DIV></p><p>Are you sure you had your location set correctly?</p><p>What method did you use to set it?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>sounds just like what i saw.&nbsp; <br />Posted by ktfite</DIV></p><p>Which could very likely have been an Iridium....</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>no luck, there was a flare about an hour after wahtever it was i saw.&nbsp; thanks for the link, though.&nbsp; <br />Posted by ktfite</DIV></p><p>If it was about an hour, that suggests some kind of timing error.</p><p>&nbsp;If it was an hour and 15 minutes, or 45 minutes, it's less likely.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p>I saw this phenomena again tonight; I was driving and when I lifted my eyes up there was a bright *star* that almost immediately faded away.</p><p>I'm beginning to think it's Iridium or some other slow moving satellite on high orbit. Although I always thought Iridium was supposed to be a very bright flash lasting less than a second. &nbsp;</p>

B

billslugg

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I saw this phenomena again tonight; I was driving and when I lifted my eyes up there was a bright *star* that almost immediately faded away.I'm beginning to think it's Iridium or some other slow moving satellite on high orbit. Although I always thought Iridium was supposed to be a very bright flash lasting less than a second. &nbsp; <br /> Posted by aphh</DIV></p><p>No, Iridium lasts for about 6 seconds. It starts out slow, grows really bright, and then fades off. The ground track is about 30 Km wide. That is about 20 miles. Low Earth orbit is about 5 miles per second. That would give a duration of 4 seconds. Add a second on each end for diffraction and inaccuracies and that would put us right in the 6 second arena.</p><p>PS - Always be cogent of the flashes coming up in your area. Carry a calibrated watch and know your directions. As you sit with a prospective girlfriend, client, employer, you can always say: "I can make a star appear." Look right about over there in about 5 seconds." It has worked wonders for me.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

A

aphh

<p>Thanks for the clarification, <br /><br />I have a habit of keeping an eye on clear night sky, I even have binoculars at hand always on a clear night to catch a satellite or two. You see things flashing and moving up there all the time.</p><p>I've used your technique on ISS a few times, like "you guys want to see a huge ball of light on a nice arc...". This started when I first spotted ISS unprepared and thought what the heck that was.</p><p>I guess it's time to start spotting other satellites aswell. </p>

C

CometPhoenix

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for the clarification, I have a habit of keeping an eye on clear night sky, I even have binoculars at hand always on a clear night to catch a satellite or two. You see things flashing and moving up there all the time.I've used your technique on ISS a few times, like "you guys want to see a huge ball of light on a nice arc...". This started when I first spotted ISS unprepared and thought what the heck that was.I guess it's time to start spotting other satellites aswell. <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br />Lol, this reminds me of the first time I saw the ISS, except I thought it was a UFO or something. I later went on my Starrt Night Backyard program on my CPU, and it identified it as the ISS.</p><p>Supernovae don't happen too often, and if it was one, it would have been visible for a least 2 days, in the same spot.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#0000ff">What ever happens, happens/</font><font face="Times New Roman"><font color="#0000ff"><font size="3">Just call me Phoenix</font></font></font></p></font> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>No, Iridium lasts for about 6 seconds. It starts out slow, grows really bright, and then fades off. The ground track is about 30 Km wide. That is about 20 miles. Low Earth orbit is about 5 miles per second. That would give a duration of 4 seconds. Add a second on each end for diffraction and inaccuracies and that would put us right in the 6 second arena.PS - Always be cogent of the flashes coming up in your area. Carry a calibrated watch and know your directions. As you sit with a prospective girlfriend, client, employer, you can always say: "I can make a star appear." Look right about over there in about 5 seconds." It has worked wonders for me.&nbsp; <br />Posted by billslugg</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Yes Iridiums allow you to amaze your friends and enemies. </p><p>The timing also depend on how high in the sky they are. From 45 degrees and up, the spot is indeed quite small, but ones lower on the horison, while not as bright due to passing through more air and a greater distance, can last quite a bit lomger since the spot is spread into a larger ellipse as it intersects the earth at an angle.</p><p>With binoculars, you can see Iridiums for quite a while before and after the Flare as well.</p><p>It is also often useful to look at that same spot about 10 minutes before and after with binoculars. You can often see the leading and trailing Iridiums, that don't get as bright.</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

K

ktfite

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Are you sure you had your location set correctly?What method did you use to set it? <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />after i logged in, i chose my city and state (dallas, ga) from the list they had.

P

pradipta

I believe you. But I do not believe supernova because it is creation of space mirror. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><span style="font-size:10pt">From the ancestral time the world space research established on blind theory. We although demand that we have discovered lots of mysteries viz. milk ways, galaxies, nebulas, white drafts, black holes etcs., in real they are creation of space mirror. SPACE MIRROR is the truth and hidden mystery of the space. Since we are unknown about space mirror, our research has diverted from original truth and we have spent lots of time and money behind the false truth. </span></font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:10pt">Therefore it invites to visit http://www.spacemirrormystery.com and for prosperous space research.&nbsp;</span><br /></p></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>pradipta</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.