Surviving Truck from Movie Duel

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim48

Duel? I'm getting old. I saw that when it first aired as an ABC Movie of the Week, 1971 or '72. A very young Spielberg directed it from a screenplay by Richard Matheson. Matheson based it on a harrowing, similar experience he'd had years before. Dennis Weaver had just started doing McCloud on the NBC Sunday Mystery Movie. Those movies of the week kept a lot of between-series actors employed. They started out at ninety minutes then went to two hours. The Night Stalker was ninety minutes, its sequel The Night Strangler was two hours. I was in junior high and we couldn't wait to talk about the cool movie that was on the night before! Little did we know that Duel and The Night Stalker would become classics! Somewhere on YouTube I found the opening montage for the ABC Sunday Movie and Tuesday Movie of the Week. I remember that music!

A

a_lost_packet_

jim48":pobnzrlz said:
Duel? I'm getting old. I saw that when it first aired as an ABC Movie of the Week, 1971 or '72...

I remember this movie airing as well. It was awesome! Though, I thought it a bit silly at the time. Still, I watched it. :)

Remember the one about the big possessed Caterpilar bulldozer? :)

Killdozer!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVBSGXj7HrM[/youtube]

I'll have to second the comment made by one of the Youtubers

"..after watching this clip again I now consider this to be one of the top alien-controlled bulldozer movies ever made. .." jamesandrew200

:)

A

a_lost_packet_

drwayne":31q25enx said:

VERY cool! If I knew how to drive it, I'd love to own it. It'd be like owning Christine...

Christine640.jpg

A

a_lost_packet_

Other "possessed" auto movies:

The Car

thecar.jpg

(Would make Christine its @$%... Extremely cool killing machine.)

Maximum Overdrive

maximum-overdrive.jpg

(This is what happens when you don't budget enough money for the D.O.T. I took my first love to go see that one.. broke up not long afterward.. correlation or causation?)

D

drwayne

Christine heals, "The Car" doesn't seem to ever get hurt. The Car also has "Dies Irae" going for it - that is
such an ominous soundtrack.

Note that "The Car" met its end (maybe) goging over a cliff - similar to the Duel truck.

I definitely remember seeing Duel (and the Nightstalker pilots) on TV.

C

Couerl

I think it was maximum overdrive that had the funniest scene in movie history.. The little kid on a bicycle trying to outrun an asphalt roller and all they show is the flattened bicycle in the end.. maybe it was lawnmower man, I forget..

D

drwayne

I recall something like that from MO, though, of course, the manical Ice Cream truck is a dominant
memory.

J

JasonChapman

I bet that truck is worth a few bob now to any movie memorabillia collector.

J

jim48

Does anyone remember an ABC Movie of the Week called A Cold Night's Death? Robert Culp starred, something in the arctic. I never saw it but I sure heard about it back in The Day. BTW, Killdozer was based on a short story by Theodore Sturgeon.

N

nimbus

Mee_n_Mac":24qx2sue said:
How about The Wraith. Cool car, forgettable movie.
Looks like the more recent Maserati Birdcage concept.

J

jim48

drwayne":1ygwhkpz said:
Wow! That is *so* cool FlatEarth!

He also knows the guys who designed the Ford Pinto and the Chevy Vega!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Z

ZenGalacticore

Other than "Jaws" (despite being totally inaccurate about Great White shark behavior, or shark behavior in general), I thought "Duel" was one of Spielberstein's best films.

He got way too campy and 'Disneyesque' in many of his later films. I mean, take a close look at "Raiders of the Lost Ark". When Indie and whats-her-name are in a gunfight somewhere in the Middle East, Spielberg portrays the native Arabs as a bunch of oblivious idiots, all walking around ignoring the gunfight, and totally unresponsive to any kind of technology. It was very offensive, and I'm an Anglo.

And that last "Indie Jones" film? ETs? Spielberg's best days are way behind him.

But no doubt those ABC Movies of the Week from the early 70's were some dang good television, as television goes. I think the 60,s and early 70's were the best years for tv productions. Many great shows. "Kung Fu", "Star Trek", "Rockford Files", etc.
They just don't make shows like those anymore.

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":2vycejl0 said:
Other than "Jaws" (despite being totally inaccurate about Great White shark behavior, or shark behavior in general), I thought "Duel" was one of Spielberstein's best films.

He got way too campy and 'Disneyesque' in many of his later films. I mean, take a close look at "Raiders of the Lost Ark". When Indie and whats-her-name are in a gunfight somewhere in the Middle East, Spielberg portrays the native Arabs as a bunch of oblivious idiots, all walking around ignoring the gunfight, and totally unresponsive to any kind of technology. It was very offensive, and I'm an Anglo.

And that last "Indie Jones" film? ETs? Spielberg's best days are way behind him.

But no doubt those ABC Movies of the Week from the early 70's were some dang good television, as television goes. I think the 60,s and early 70's were the best years for tv productions. Many great shows. "Kung Fu", "Star Trek", "Rockford Files", etc.
They just don't make shows like those anymore.

No, they don't make tv shows like that anymore, Zen, although I'll disagree with you on Raiders of the Lost Ark. As close to a "perfect" movie as ever has been made. I would put Jaws in the same category by checking off the squares: Script, director, acting, photography, music, fillm editing, visual effects, sound effects, etc. Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life! are in the same category for me. Also Patton, the first Superman movie, Back to the Future. Now, tv, Zen? I remember late '60s and early '70s when it first aired. Many hit shows didn't interest me back then, such as Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels, et al. All hit ABC shows. On ABC I did watch The Six Million Dollar Man. My dad loved Barney Miller on ABC and of course I loved Kolchak: The Night Stalker. This should be Part One of a separate thread and I apologize for hijacking this one. Let me make ammends by saying that I remember reading an interview with Dennis Weaver, the star of Duel, who recalled being amazed by how many cameras young Speilberg set up while filming Duel. He said that he rarely knew which camera he was playing to, which kept his performance honest, in his opinion.
;)

Z

ZenGalacticore

I don't think I saw "Duel" when it premiered. But they re-ran it a bunch of times. I first caught it around 1973 or 74, IIRC.

Yeah, those 60s and 70s shows are a lot to list. "Six Million Dollar Man", "Barney Miller", the b&w "Andy Griffith" show, "The Night Stalker", "TZ", "Outer Limits", "All in the Family", "Sanford and Son" (only the ones with Red Foxx. The ones he was not in when he was ill, where they basically replaced him with Grady, were pretty bad.) Foxx was something, naturally funny guy.

Too many shows to list. I just re-watched the first season of "Kung Fu". That was a great show too, for television.

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":26i39qhe said:
I don't think I saw "Duel" when it premiered. But they re-ran it a bunch of times. I first caught it around 1973 or 74, IIRC.

Yeah, those 60s and 70s shows are a lot to list. "Six Million Dollar Man", "Barney Miller", the b&w "Andy Griffith" show, "The Night Stalker", "TZ", "Outer Limits", "All in the Family", "Sanford and Son" (only the ones with Red Foxx. The ones he was not in when he was ill, where they basically replaced him with Grady, were pretty bad.) Foxx was something, naturally funny guy.

Too many shows to list. I just re-watched the first season of "Kung Fu". That was a great show too, for television.

Confession: Kung Fu was another ABC show I didn't get into. My friends loved it but it was up against Ironside, which my dad enjoyed. I kinda' liked Ironside, too, but then I liked Hawaii: 5-0 as well. Book 'em, Danno! Murder one. ;)

Z

ZenGalacticore

jim48":1ah4tud7 said:
ZenGalacticore":1ah4tud7 said:

Confession: Kung Fu was another ABC show I didn't get into. My friends loved it but it was up against Ironside, which my dad enjoyed. I kinda' liked Ironside, too, but then I liked Hawaii: 5-0 as well. Book 'em, Danno! Murder one. ;)

That's because you were just a bit too old, Fester. It's the same reason you don't like Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin was the band of the younger brothers and sisters of the late 60's and very early 70's generation.

Do you appreciate Bruce Lee?

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":2ywx7g97 said:
jim48":2ywx7g97 said:
ZenGalacticore":2ywx7g97 said:

That's because you were just a bit too old, Fester. It's the same reason you don't like Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin was the band of the younger brothers and sisters of the late 60's and very early 70's generation.

Do you appreciate Bruce Lee?

Because I'm a geezer I remember Lee on The Green Hornet and saw most of his flicks at the drive-in. All the Hollywood folks, from Chuck Norris to Steve McQueen to James Coburn spoke very highly of him. Imagine Bruce Lee versus Wonder Woman!

S

silylene

I used to watch Wacky Races back when I was about 10 yrs old:
wackyraces.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts