T/Space has it all wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nyarlathotep

An airship probably could provide the required lift. I imagine that it would cost a whole lot more to build and operate though.

F

frodo1008

The only problem with this otherwise excellent suggestion is the enourmous infrastructure that is required to support such airships. Any such airship is going to have to be very large, and there is therefore NO way it could be allowed to be stored outside (especially at the sometimes VERY windy Mojave airport). In the past there have been airship hangers, but they are comparible in size to the VAB!<br /><br />On the other hand very large aircraft such as the 747 can even be stored outside if necessary (as dozens already are at the Mojave airport where Rutan is based).<br /><br />If you have a practical way of overcoming this objection, please do so, as I think the basic idea IS very good in itself!<br /><br />

S

spacefire

technology has come a long way. True, you don't want to leave such a thing outside, but to keep it moderately protected from the elements- we're not talking hurricanes here-you could keep it inside an inflatable hangar, kept at a higher pressure than the outside. the hangar would be wherever the ship goes.<br />Of course, you have to anchor everything to the grounnd but at least no sand would get in the airship or the rocket. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>http://asteroid-invasion.blogspot.com</p><p>http://www.solvengineer.com/asteroid-invasion.html </p><p> </p> </div>

F

frodo1008

I have seen such a hanger being built on a program by the Discovery Science channel. It was truly amazing! I don't say that your idea is not a good one, it is. But, what Burt Rutan is going to do is even less influenced by us than NASA is (after all NASA is responsible to our elected representatives, and all Rutan is responsible to are his investors). Some who only support the newer pure private interests such as t/space and spacex do not seem to realize this!<br /><br />These people may talk very nobly about placing mankind into space, and even be sincere, but it is in reality the great God profit that is really driving the ship here!

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow">These people may talk very nobly about placing mankind into space, and even be sincere, but it is in reality the great God profit that is really driving the ship here!</font>/i><br /><br />Perhaps. Bill Gates has put tens of billions of dollars into the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for efforts to promote the general good of society.<br /><br />A lot of times, when someone makes enough wealth or success in their lives, no matter how much of a ruthless &%$#@! they may have been achieving that wealth or success, they change their attitudes. Sometimes leaving a legacy can be an important motivating factor.</i>

J

j05h

>A lot of times, when someone makes enough wealth or success in their lives, no matter how much of a ruthless &%$#@! they may have been achieving that wealth or success, they change their attitudes. Sometimes leaving a legacy can be an important motivating factor.<br /><br />There is social pressure among the mega-rich to provide both essential and lavish philanthropy. This existed with the Rockefellers and exists with the Gates, Turners, etc now. On one level it promotes social harmony (or grudging acceptance) and on another actual advancement. A rich guy with a goal is far more flexible than the government or church. The Gates Foundation has contributed, as of 2003, $295 million dollars in malaria research. Their yearly budget is more than all other malaria funding sources combined. Malaria kills more children than any other disease, having been eliminated in the developed world it was a low-priority disease for a long time until Uncle Bill threw his $$$ at it. <br /><br />And his Number Two is our space-daddy. 8)<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

A

askold

A more cynical view would be that exactly the same motivations that drove the robber barons to accumulate their wealth drive them to later give away their wealth - ego. Being the richest person gets you on the cover of Time and so does establishing the biggest foundation.

L

larper

Yes. Fortunately, politicians have no egos. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

F

frodo1008

And what makes YOU think that the politicians aren't the rich, representing the rich? At the very least they can indeed be bought BY the rich!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts