Telescopes See 'Distant Planet'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zavvy

<b>Telescopes See 'Distant Planet'</b> <br /><br />LINK<br /><br />Astronomers say they have obtained the first confirmed images of a planet beyond our own Solar System. <br /><br />The new world, which is one to two times the size of Jupiter, orbits a star called GQ Lupi - thought to be like a young version of the Sun. <br /><br />An exoplanet image was released last year, but astronomers said it was unclear if the planet was orbiting its star or an object in the background. <br /><br />However, the latest object is clearly orbiting GQ Lupi, say experts. <br /><br />The star and its orbiting planet are located in a star-forming region about 400 light-years away. <br /><br />The planet has been observed by a team of European astronomers since 1999. <br /><br />They have taken three images using the European Southern Observatory's (ESO) Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile, the Hubble Space Telescope and the Japanese Subaru Telescope in Hawaii. <br /><br />Because it is in a young system, the planet is relatively hot. This helped astronomers detect the planet in the glare from its host star. <br /><br />The planet is also quite far from GQ Lupi - about 100 times the distance between the Sun and the Earth, which helped the team separate light between the two objects. <br /><br />Astronomers have found about 150 exoplanets over the past decade, but most of these have been detected via the gravitational "wobbles" they induce in their parent stars. <br /><br />The research is due to be published in a future issue of the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics. <br /><br />

C

CalliArcale

You could theoretically isolate the spectrum of the planet from the spectrum of the star, but you can't tell a crescent in a spectrum. Spectra are not distinct images.<br /><br />The limiting factor is resolution of images. We need better resolution than is available using current equipment and current techniques. I think we're getting awfully close to being able to image really big planets (gas giants) but I suspect we're a ways from imaging iceballs, unless there are any iceballs a heck of a lot bigger than previously imagined. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

Let me play the devils advocate here. The planet appears to be, excluding the glow region, only around 15 times smaller than the star. Isn't that size to large for a planet? <br /><br />Also a question to the experts in star formation on this forum. Is it possible for a planet sized star to be formed? And revolve around a larger star just like a planet? The reason I'm asking this strange question is the reflected light or radiation from a passive planet would be too faint to be detected so clearly. Sorry, I have a negative mind. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

N

najab

><i>The planet appears to be, excluding the glow region, only around 15 times smaller than the star. Isn't that size to large for a planet?</i><p>First off, that depends on the size of the star - astronomers recently found a star that's only 3 times the size of Jupiter. Secondly, and more importantly, the apparent size of a celestial body is dependant on it's albedo - highly reflective bodies appear larger than dark, dull ones. Given its distance to its sun, that planet would have to be highly reflective to not have been boiled away.</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.