Temple 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gotigers44

Where is Temple 1 located in the sky so I can find it in a telescope?

T

tony873004

It's near Jupiter. I tried to locate it using a 4 inch scope through a light-polluted San Francisco sky. No joy. The sky was too bright. Tonight it will be at:<br /><br />14-Jun <br />13h 12.87m <br />-2º 16.65´<br />

B

bbrock

Now is a good time to see Tempel 1. The Comet is actually moving further away at this time. However, I have imaged the comet two times in the last two months, and this is no simple object to find, see or image. I suggest you use at least a 10" aperture reflector. I also suggest you use a good computer software to identify it's exact location and star field. Even with a 10" scope and 100x to 200x magnification, you will probably need to use averted vision to find the little fuzzy spot. <br /><br />After July 4th, it is likely that Tempel 1 will be much brighter. The nights will start to get a little longer also. But not much. Don't waite too long, we don't know how much effect the impact will have on the magnitude of the comet. <br /><br />This is a tough target to find. Good luck. <br /><br />Bill

A

astrobuff

Can Tempel 1 become brighter? How bright has it ever been?<br /><br />thnx<br />Astro

B

bbrock

Yes, Tempel1 can become brighter. Comets shed dust, ice and gas from solar winds and solar radiation. The gas and dust reflects sunlight which we see. The greater the amount of exfoliation, the brighter the comet appears. The Deep Impact on July 4th will likely blow off a portion of the comets material. It is estimated the impactor will make a creater the size of a football stadium. We really don't know for sure. This may also expose loose material that will add to the exfoliation. Tempel1 will likely increase in brightness from magnitude 10 to around magnitude 6 or 7 for a brief time. Again -- speculation !! July 5th might be the best date for viewing Tempel1. <br /><br />I don't know how bright Tempel1 has been in the past. <br /><br />Clear Skies<br />Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts