the colonisation of space

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amenhotepi

" I WONDER WHETHER MAN WILL EVER GET TO THESE PLACES IN THE REALISTIC FUTURE [ .. IN 406080 YRS ], I MEAN MARS AND DIONE AND TITAN AND VENUS. I SUPPOSE A SERIOUS COLONY ON ANY ONE OF THESE PLANETS WOULD NECCESSARILY INVOLVE ... COLOSSAL SCIENTIFIC AND ENGINEERING ORGANISATION - TO SUSTAIN THE COLONY IN SPACE ... I IMAGINE FOR SO MANY CENTURIES " <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />i wrote to a friend the above xtract on the feasibility of the colonisation of space.i am reminded of the failings of the shuttle etc, and so many failed missions in the world's space-history .. that sharpen the reality of serious space-development; what it really costs to put things into space. <br /><br />to put a space-colony up into space, to my medium physiks-trained eye, does seem quite a demand. i envisage a colony would have to have efficiency and continuum, to serve a function in a way. i suppose there may be elaborate research or something, to origin itself; and project capital/funding for the colony probably wouldn't be difficult, initially .. though if a colony were in situ for something like a century, i suppose more permanent brokerage could be served up. <br /><br />i, know that NASA and the americans are thiking of the moon and mars; places to colonise there .. <br /><br />i'm not so sure the science generally, is sufficient. ideas of: pressurised- habitation on mars, for astronauts and coping with the effects of radiation, i guess water, or, lead-lined colony-walls; even in the event these colonies were 'sub' mars-terrea, and protected. <br /><br />what would be gained on mars or dione or titan or the moon; that could n't be achieved in earth-orbit here , for eg, on the ISS. the prospects of war here on earth and in space, is continuing. how selective is a "REAL" space-colony- idea, from the standpoint of such inequality and denial home on earth. will, a fresh start to life somewhere else in space be any better than the polluted seas and the air we have to endure .. of our world. <br /><br></br>

J

j05h

if we don't step out of the cradle, we will always remain as babies. Sort of like your username, we will colonize the solar systems as the Egyptians colonized Crete. There is always something interesting just over the horizon.<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

H

holmec

>what would be gained on mars or dione or titan or the moon; that could n't be achieved in earth-orbit here , for eg, on the ISS. the prospects of war here on earth and in space, is continuing. how selective is a "REAL" space-colony- idea, from the standpoint of such inequality and denial home on earth. will, a fresh start to life somewhere else in space be any better than the polluted seas and the air we have to endure .. of our world.<<br /><br />A valid point. Yet answer me this. In the 1600s and 1700s what was the value of the British colonies of New England and our East coast to England? I mean you can do the same things in both places. Or what was the value of Australia during the same time?<br /><br />To colonize you need to know how to survive for the long run. That is it. What drives people out there is exploration, the need for space, the need for freedom, the lure of a new life.<br /><br />Now to be able to colonize space, we do need to know how to make habitats that will sustain us. We just started doing this (in terms of the human history and galatic history). The ISS is not perfect. It resides inside the electomagnetic field of the earth. So we know we could possibly survive with a planet that had the same type of magnetic field to protect us. But we need to develop our own shields. We need to know how to "live off the land". We need to mine! Without getting resources from asteroids, moons, planets we cannot survive.<br /><br />Not only do we need to mine, we need to process and produce products we use for survival. This could be a very long list. From semiconductors, to radio active isotopes. From fertile soil to kevlar. <br /><br />We also know we would probably have to take plants and animals with us. Not to mention bacteria, and microscopic ogranisms which keep fertile soil going. In other word we need to take the farm with us. A colony on mars would seem more plausable than the moon because of the soil, atmosphere, etc...<br /><br></br> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts