the colour of space

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xxMIKExx

If nasa was to catch a quantity of "empty space" from outside the ISS, would the container seem to be empty and colourless or would it seem to have a black tint to the emptyness?
The reason I ask is I believe the container would hold a colourless vacuum, which leads me to ask....what colour is space?
It seems that wherever there is nothing to reflect light, be it a galaxy, a planet or any other physical object in the universe, we see the same intense, deep black "space", even in the immediate area surrounding our sun.
How is it that all Galaxy images show them to be very bright objects, yet all the objects within them are surrounded by such darkness, e.g- our solar system. Why isn't the darkness less intense when inside such bright objects?
Could it be that the blackness of space that we see is actually the edge of the universe?
If you get a large black-board to represent the adge of the univers and cover it with little white dots and circles to represent stars and galaxies. The further away from the board you move, the less stars and galaxies you will see, untill eventually, all you will see is the edge of the universe

N

nimbus

The black of outer space isn't a color, it's the absence of color, because it's an absence of matter to begin with. Whether black paint or a true void, your eyes will register "black" because of how they're built. But that doesn't mean that a void has color. You need matter to reflect light for color.

A perfectly transparent case of outer space vacuum would have no color because it'd be empty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color#Color_of_objects

I guess a special exception might be if vacuum had an inherent polarity of some kind, that'd skew light passing through it (and reflected back e.g. at one end of the perfectly transparent jar of vacuum). I don't know if that's possible.

K

kg

xxMIKExx":8n08fsr8 said:
If nasa was to catch a quantity of "empty space" from outside the ISS, would the container seem to be empty and colourless or would it seem to have a black tint to the emptyness?
The reason I ask is I believe the container would hold a colourless vacuum, which leads me to ask....what colour is space?

The universe does not have a colour that you can see with the naked eye, but if you could see in the microwave portion of the spectrum you would see that the universe does have a dim glow left over from the big bang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_mic ... _radiation

Status
Not open for further replies.