The Ever Inflating Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nightstar_

People think that the universe stopped expanding when everything "settled" from the Big Bang when in fact the Universe is still expanding as we speak. In a way its more of "inflating". Thus the "Inflation Theory". So what would happen if something caused the world to expand quicker? Well as the world expands things are thrown apart but the universe expands so slowly that the atoms can always piece themselves back apart in microseconds. But if it went quicker it would be a disaster. Imagine a balloon with dots on it. The dots are stars. Now the dots might be fairly close to each other but when you inflate the balloon suddenly they can be very far apart. And the dots themselves didn't move. Thats what would happen if there was Hyperinflation. The stars wouldn't be moving, space itself would be moving. Everything would be flung apart. I'm not talking just planets and stuff moving. I'm talking about the very atoms being flung apart. Everything would be demolished is only seconds and we probably wouldn't even know it had happened.

O

origin

nightstar_":14fc9rya said:
People think that the universe stopped expanding when everything "settled" from the Big Bang when in fact the Universe is still expanding as we speak.

I don't think anybody who is interested in astronomy thinks the universe has stopped expanding.

In a way its more of "inflating". Thus the "Inflation Theory".

No this is not correct, inflation is what occured in the first fraction of a second after the big bang.

So what would happen if something caused the world to expand quicker? Well as the world expands things are thrown apart but the universe expands so slowly that the atoms can always piece themselves back apart in microseconds.

What? The world is not expanding, the universe is expanding but not the objects in the universe.

But if it went quicker it would be a disaster. Imagine a balloon with dots on it. The dots are stars. Now the dots might be fairly close to each other but when you inflate the balloon suddenly they can be very far apart. And the dots themselves didn't move. Thats what would happen if there was Hyperinflation. The stars wouldn't be moving, space itself would be moving. Everything would be flung apart. I'm not talking just planets and stuff moving. I'm talking about the very atoms being flung apart. Everything would be demolished is only seconds and we probably wouldn't even know it had happened.

This is completely wrong. No matter how much the universe expands our galaxy will NOT expand, our solar system will NOT expand and certainly the earth will NOT expand.

R

ramparts

origin":14woksjl said:
This is completely wrong. No matter how much the universe expands our galaxy will NOT expand, our solar system will NOT expand and certainly the earth will NOT expand.

Well, let's be fair now, that depends on the dark energy equation of state.

N

nightstar_

by world I meant the universe. I don't count as Earth as the entire world. I count Earth as a planet. i count our galaxy as a galaxy I do not consider our small corner of space the entire world. So yes the world is expanding.

Also we are part of the universe. When it expands we do too. Also theres a reason its a theory. It depends on whether you think the universe is flat or round. if the universe is round then the Hyper Inflation theory could actually happen. If the world is flat then yes it couldn't happen. I realize that they've done experiments on the whole flat or round universe thing but there is always a margin of error and as long as theres even a small chance of error then this theory could work

R

ramparts

nightstar_":2xkw17f2 said:
by world I meant the universe. I don't count as Earth as the entire world. I count Earth as a planet. i count our galaxy as a galaxy I do not consider our small corner of space the entire world. So yes the world is expanding.

No, please, by all means re-define commonly used words in the English language. It doesn't matter that whenever pretty much anyone says "world" they mean the Earth, go ahead, please, use a different definition, don't tell anyone, and expect to be understood. That's a great strategy for communication.

Also we are part of the universe. When it expands we do too.

That's untrue. The "force" of the expansion isn't enough to overcome the forces holding the molecules in our bodies together. In fact, it's not even strong enough to overcome the gravity between nearby galaxies - that's why many galaxies in our neighborhood (like Andromeda) are actually moving towards us, rather than away from us with the expansion.

Also theres a reason its a theory. It depends on whether you think the universe is flat or round. if the universe is round then the Hyper Inflation theory could actually happen. If the world is flat then yes it couldn't happen. I realize that they've done experiments on the whole flat or round universe thing but there is always a margin of error and as long as theres even a small chance of error then this theory could work

If the universe is "round" (do you mean what's usually referred to as a closed universe? Again, if you're going to use non-standard definitions, at least warn us!) then how does that mean a "Hyper Inflation theory" could happen? What is a "Hyper Inflation theory"? Why are "hyper" and "inflation" capitalized?

R

ramparts

Sorry, I should be more fair (maybe), having re-read your original post. You clearly can use a better grasp of the science behind - and that's fine, definitely go out, read some more magazine articles, books, and the like - but the underlying idea is possible. The universe is expanding, and that expansion is getting faster, due to what we call "dark energy" (it may or may not be energy, doesn't matter right now :lol: the point is, the expansion is accelerating). If that acceleration has certain mathematical properties, then the expansion actually will run away, and eventually rip apart even atoms. However, this isn't guaranteed, it's very possible the cause behind the acceleration lacks the appropriate property. What do the experiments say? Well, there's no definitive answer, but such a runaway expansion seems more unlikely than likely. But yes, it is an open question.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

nightstar_":1dnrxiva said:

Also we are part of the universe. When it expands we do too. Also theres a reason its a theory. It depends on whether you think the universe is flat or round. if the universe is round then the Hyper Inflation theory could actually happen. If the world is flat then yes it couldn't happen. I realize that they've done experiments on the whole flat or round universe thing but there is always a margin of error and as long as theres even a small chance of error then this theory could work

Uuummm, no. Even with your substituted definition of the word "world" this is still incorrect. As pointed out earlier, inflation occurred within a fraction of a second after the big bang. Yes it is widely theorized that the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate with an uncurtain conclusion to this expansion. However our planet and solar system within our galaxy are part of a merger and not the much larger scale expansion. There are several galaxies besides us and Andromdea that are believed to merge in the future. I don't see any theory of the expansion on this scale, just that other galaxies will eventually expand away from us as large scale space expands.

R

R1

...The Big Rip theory or concept of the universe has all particles eventually ripping apart, do they not ?
If so, could this not be a form of expansion ?

S

SpeedFreek

Yes it could, and it depends of the equation of state for dark energy.

Simply put, it depends whether dark energy becomes less dense as the universe expands (the acceleration of the expansion will eventually slow down and change into simple decelerating expansion that never quite stops), or if dark energy acts like a constant (the expansion will continue to accelerate until we can see nothing outside of our local supercluster and then we will be in an apparently static observable universe consisting of just our supercluster), or if dark energy increases its influence even as the universe expands (known as "phantom" dark energy, which leads to a big-rip where atoms are finally ripped apart).

Ouch, that wasn't so simply put after all, was it? ;)

R

Redson

Now if i remember correctly, everything in the universe (world) is "held together" by the opposing forces of "Dark matter" and "Dark Energy" correct? The force of dark matter will be able to hold our galaxies together even after all of the galaxies have expanded to where we no longer see other galaxies. I find it funny that it is assumed that this dark energy is the expanding area between the galaxies.
This is all kind of new to me, so go easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts