maltaeseflyer

hi
the face on mars is that real and how was that done

O

origin

maltaeseflyer":1ij7axjw said:
hi
the face on mars is that real and how was that done

The face on mars is not a face, it is an eroded hill. Under the right lighting effects and the with a relatively low resolution photograph it can look like a face. Just like the 'indian head' erosion pattern in Canada. Google "indian head Canada" if you want to see a pattern that really looks like a face, it is still just and erosion pattern.

The high resolution pictures of the face on mars show that it is nothing but a hill.

Y

yevaud

Mother of God, make it stop.

*Dashing glass of water into my face*

D

DrRocket

yevaud":i8kl2bgd said:
Mother of God, make it stop.

*Dashing glass of water into my face*

Isn't that face just a slightly blurred version of your avatar ?

So, how did you do it ? Come on, tell us uncle yevaud.

(I think you had better put something stronger than water in that glass.)

B

bdewoody

The formation on Mars that really got my interest up was the site that looks like 3 sides of the foundation of some sort of artificial structure. But all interest in figuring out how it was formed has seemed to vanish.

S

Saiph

I was never impressed with the "Cydonian face on mars". Now, you want something creepy, how about a human pop culture icon!

Happy-face1.jpg

Really, the face is just an interesting side effect of our brain's hard wiring for pattern and face recognition.

N

nimbus

It's the well-known one-eyed, one-browed smiley face with a big scar on its temple. How do you not recognize it?

S

Saiph

Yep, "smiley face crater", google just that term, throw in 'mars' for good measure and you'll find all sorts of stuff on it. That pic, btw, is from wikipedia.

Frankly, if I was one to take such things seriously, the smiley face crater would creep me out more than the Cydonian face. Two reasons: Scale (the thing is huge compared to 'the face') and reference. The smiley face is a relatively recent icon as far as I know (I don't see any ancient roman versions at least). Which means the alien conspirators have observed us recently, and covertly build a giant monument on mars just to mock us!

D

DrRocket

Saiph":23edqalh said:
Yep, "smiley face crater", google just that term, throw in 'mars' for good measure and you'll find all sorts of stuff on it. That pic, btw, is from wikipedia.

Frankly, if I was one to take such things seriously, the smiley face crater would creep me out more than the Cydonian face. Two reasons: Scale (the thing is huge compared to 'the face') and reference. The smiley face is a relatively recent icon as far as I know (I don't see any ancient roman versions at least). Which means the alien conspirators have observed us recently, and covertly build a giant monument on mars just to mock us!

Ok, but I still like the original better, and I still think it is yevaud's avatar. He owes us an explanation as to how "he did that".

M

maltaeseflyer

nimbus":2xaw7hto said:
It's the well-known one-eyed, one-browed smiley face with a big scar on its temple. How do you not recognize it?
hi this not the face on mars i was referring to but ithas made me ...lol..

M

maltaeseflyer

DrRocket":20ab1tb7 said:
Saiph":20ab1tb7 said:
I was never impressed with the "Cydonian face on mars". Now, you want something creepy, how about a human pop culture icon!

Happy-face1.jpg

Really, the face is just an interesting side effect of our brain's hard wiring for pattern and face recognition.

What in the hell is that picture? It is not the usual "face on Mars".

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/ext ... index.html
this not the face i was talking about

S

silylene

I am more afraid of the 'Giant Sandworm of Mars'. It's only a matter of time before it discovers our rovers from the vibration of their wheels, and it emerges and ingests them.

Several 'Giant Sandworms' have been photographed, vis:
glass_tubes_closeup.jpg

Their tunnels are everywhere:
sandworm1006.jpg

Here is a photo of an army of Giant Sandworms, slithering towards Opportunity:
psp_008681_2550.jpg

Here is one of the last cities of the ancient Martians, ravaged by sandworms almost a million years ago, and mostly covered by dunes. The street grid still is obvious:
IncaCity.jpg

D

drwayne

"I am more afraid of the 'Giant Sandworm of Mars'."

Oh no! That brought a flashback to a certain poster from 4 or 5 years ago!

Wayne

D

drwayne

I don't think that was who I was remembering, but I may be mistaken.

This guy (and a female sock puppet he created) spent his early time here on selling his kilometer long
worms on mars theory* - and it became clear it wasn't being bought, decided that the reason was
that the posters here prejudiced against him because he was deaf. (How we all knew that over the
computer is a little unclear). This leds to discussions between him and his sock puppet about
the superiority of the deaf culture to the hearing culture in increasing vitriolic terms until the
button push.

Wayne

*the gist of which was - "It looks like a worm, therefore it MUST be a worm"

Y

yevaud

Ah, OK.

Extrasense was the one with his own site full of those weird Mars images that he would caption ("Shrimp with Viskers," "Martian Blueberries"); he used to tell us the only way you could really see what the images were was to wear 3-D glasses.

What a hoot!

M

Mee_n_Mac

yevaud":3cpbxj0w said:
Ah, OK.

Extrasense was the one with his own site full of those weird Mars images that he would caption ("Shrimp with Viskers," "Martian Blueberries"); he used to tell us the only way you could really see what the images were was to wear 3-D glasses.

What a hoot!

Wow ! ES was just a bit before my time here at SDC. I do recall a person, 'GeoDuck' I think, who had a similar collection of "images" on his/her website. Just goes to show that no matter how "unique" you might think someone is, there's a copy lurking just around the corner.

So to get back on topic and in case the OP is lurking about, the wiki has the old, low res FoM pic and the newer high res as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cydonia_Mensae

S

silylene

The Giant Sandworms were from someone else, not extrasense (ES). [bigbrain? Jatslo?] As you mentioned, ES was famous for the blueberries and his website. Ah, the heady days of SDC, before the Great Crash....

The Giant Sandworms claim came from the same guy who also discovered the km-scale stone relief sculpture of an antelope on the side of Candor Chasm(?) in Valles Marineris. I wish I could find that picture again. It really did look like an antelope.

Anyways, remember the Martian bunny discovered early on by Opportunity? And it moved its location around from day-to-day !
b19_bunny_movie_small.gif

Y

yevaud

Of the two, I'd lay my Quatloos on BigBrain. Now there was an in-apt name. ;)

A

a_lost_packet_

silylene":3kpxnwha said:
...Anyways, remember the Martian bunny discovered early on by Opportunity? And it moved its location around from day-to-day !
b19_bunny_movie_small.gif

That bunny stole my bike!

Anyway, to address the Cydonia is artificial claim from the OP - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mars_ ... SE_MRO.png

Not artificial.
Not a "face."

Still looks like rocks. Tomorrow, it will still look like rocks. Next Tuesday, it will still look like rocks. Conclusion - Martians are infatuated with building things that look like rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts