The Future of the Space Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kyle_baron

Are the Space Shuttles going to be scraped, or mothballed after 2010, when the Orion Rocket begins it's journey back to the moon? I just read that Endevour got new upgrades.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4"><strong></strong></font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, it is toast after 2010. Scraped (sic)<br />No chance of a change in that since the infrastructure is being disassembled as we speak. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

everlasting

It's time for a hybrid...<br /><br /><br />Everlasting, <br /><br />Moon Over Key Biscayne

R

robnissen

Retired is probably a better word than scrapped. I assume the remaining shuttles will be put on display in a museum somewhere. Probably, at least one will go to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

S

symbolite

Don't know why i had this idea, and i know it would never work out, but my idea was that they should just leave the shuttles (or at least 1 anyway) in Orbit, perhaps connected to the ISS somehow and it could be used for things (what things i have no idea)<br /><br />yea i know its a bad idea but what are others thoughts about something like that happening? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

symbolite

There is no way for the shuttle to use energy produced from the ISS solar panels to keep it alive in an at least hibernation mode? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jimfromnsf

The shuttle systems are not made for long term use. Anyways, what is there for gain except for a small amount of habitable volume. It's mass would be a burden to the ISS maneuvering and it would block other spacecraft from docking to the ISS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts