The largest volcano on Mars may sit above a 1,000-mile magma pool. Could Olympus Mons erupt again?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Thanks for the link. It is an interesting paper. But, it involves a lot of speculation about the "dark matter" components that could be associated with the Gaia starfield data - mainly for th purpose of designing some sort of detectors and detection concepts for the various theories about what dark matter really is.

So far, nobody has actually detected a physical entity that can be ascribed to the gravitational effects that are attributed to "dark matter" (only because there is no other thing to which they can seem to be attributed).

So, because we think that dark matter does not interact with regular matter in any substantial manner except via gravity (which is why we think we are having so much trouble detecting it), how do you propose that passing through a "stream of dark matter" is causing "global warming" on Earth? Please provide some observational evidence that is the case. Speculation that it might be the case, or arguments that it cannot be shown to not have some effect, are useless.

Inmymind, you need to better understand how kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, etc. actually work. Phobos is losing both. It may be giving them to Mars and Deimos by gravitational interactions. Mars would be getting some additional rotational energy, and Deimos would be getting some additional orbital energy. Mars would also probably be getting some additional heat energy, because the process of tidal energy transfer involves changing its shape a bit by its attraction to Phobos. Phobos is tidally locked (as is our Moon), so it is not cyclically changing its deformation, so not getting heated.

The "conversion of kinetic energy to gravitational potential energy" is what occurs between the lowest point of the orbit and the highest point of the orbit for all elliptical orbits. I have no idea what you are thinking about where you posted "coupled with angular momentum". If you understand the orbital mechanics, with no "spiral" involved, then you can add on the thought about reducing the kinetic energy of Phobos by it trying to pull uneven mass concentrations on Mars around faster than Mars is rotating. This speeds up Mars, and slows down Phobos. It also (very slightly) cyclically deforms Mars with every orbit of Phobos, which heats Mars surface layers a tiny bit. So, a bit of the energy lost by Phobos would go into heat instead of rotational energy of Mars.

Sep 18, 2024
Visit site
Inmymind, you need to better understand how kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, etc. actually work. Phobos is losing both. It may be giving them to Mars and Deimos by gravitational interactions. Mars would be getting some additional rotational energy, and Deimos would be getting some additional orbital energy. Mars would also probably be getting some additional heat energy, because the process of tidal energy transfer involves changing its shape a bit by its attraction to Phobos. Phobos is tidally locked (as is our Moon), so it is not cyclically changing its deformation, so not getting heated.

The "conversion of kinetic energy to gravitational potential energy" is what occurs between the lowest point of the orbit and the highest point of the orbit for all elliptical orbits. I have no idea what you are thinking about where you posted "coupled with angular momentum". If you understand the orbital mechanics, with no "spiral" involved, then you can add on the thought about reducing the kinetic energy of Phobos by it trying to pull uneven mass concentrations on Mars around faster than Mars is rotating. This speeds up Mars, and slows down Phobos. It also (very slightly) cyclically deforms Mars with every orbit of Phobos, which heats Mars surface layers a tiny bit. So, a bit of the energy lost by Phobos would go into heat instead of rotational energy of Mars.

I deleted the post you are responding to (within 5 minutes of posting , apologies for any inconvenience) mostly because of my inclusion of angular momentum which was wrongly chosen, what I meant was sideways momentum - so I do need to clarify my understanding. In so doing I hope to be able to understand how Phobos is simultaneously losing both kinetic and gravitational potential energy. Thank you.

Last edited:

Latest posts