The Mars Suit

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

centsworth_II

<font color="yellow">"Whats the invention called that was supposed to change our lives ... the thing with two wheels..."</font><br /><br />That's the Segway. By the way, this site: http://www.segway.com/centaur/ shows the Segway and stutch's centaur idea coming together. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

Hi stutch<br /><br />Yes, some sort of knee-elbow protection would be a good idea.<br /><br />Using CO2 for air jet cleaning would be good. You don't want to use precious processed gases for this, and they are not needed anyway.<br /><br />There have been some interesting ideas on inflatable ball tents for use on Mars.<br /><br />The problem with using a wheeled centaur approach for a suit is that it is less flexible than a small rover and astronaut. If conditions get too rough for the rover a suited astronaut can always get off and walk. If the rover is integrated with the suit this is not possible. Then there is the issue of breakdowns, getting stuck, etc. <br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

M

mattwaggle

My first Post here: I was very glad to find this forum.. Im tired of trying to talk to my friends about space exploration and getting that vacant expression and nodding.<br /><br />I've read the posts in this thread, so I think Im up to speed with the discussion. Im an art student here in San Francisco and as part of my final for game design Im producing a drama based around the first human to mars mission. But enough, onto the suit probabilities.<br /><br />This is the suit I have worked on designing. (this was made with very little prior research, and my design is changing dramatically) The armband might contain a data screen and touchpad.<br />http://www.mattwaggle.com/images/photoalbum/4/Suit2.jpg<br />My thoughts were maybe a mixture of hard/and soft suit. With all the machinery and electronics encased and shielded from dust. But all joints would be soft with durable and flexible material. Also the hard parts over the torso provide more radiation shielding.<br /><br />My questions:<br />1. What are the essential systems in a suit needed to survive on mars. (Waste collection, Air supply and filtration, heating, etc)?<br />2. How destructive are the sandstorms on mars? Could one of them badly damage an explorer caught out in one?<br />3. What are some of the experiments to be conducted by a human that could not be conducted by a rover or unmanned lab?<br />4. Could some of the new magnetic clothing technology be used in any way?<br />http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?language=english&type=&article_id=218392121<br /><br />Please critique my early design if you have any ideas, also I will post a newer one with the suggestion implemented. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts