the moon and the earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thehighllama

i was just reading an article talking about how the moon was probably much closer to earth a few billion years ago.<br />what to you suppose the relationship between life on earth and the moon are. like the moon dictates the tides of the oceans, everyone knows that. <br />but is it also possible the moon has had an effect of us and all that came before us as well. just an interesting thought

T

thalion

Good question.<br /><br />For what it's worth, there are a number of scientists who think that the Moon may have been instrumental in getting life started--and maintained--on Earth, for two main reasons:<br /><br />1.) Its tides--which were much greater when the Moon was new and closer to Earth--would have helped keep the oceans well-mixed, and have provided a heavy influx of terrestrial minerals to "fertilize" the seawater.<br /><br />2.) Simulations have shown that the Moon's gravity probably has a stabilizing effect on Earth's axis, keeping the planet from tilting chaotically over the eons.<br /><br />If you're interested in reading what a world without the Moon might be like, I suggest Neil F. Comins's <i>What if the Moon Didn't Exist?</i> Don't know if it's still in print, but it should be easy to obtain secondhand.

T

telfrow

The Discovery Channel broadcast an interesting documentary on the subject, <i>If We Had No Moon</i> sometime ago. It's replayed, I think, from time to time, and a DVD might be available. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

C

CalliArcale

A number of years ago (probably around 1990), Astronomy magazine ran a series on what Earth might be like if the Moon were closer, further, bigger, smaller, or completely absent. It was fascinating. You might be able to find back issues in your local library. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts