Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I understand that temperatures can vary significantly between lunar night and lunar daylight but my question is this.

Because of the absence of convection of thermal energy due to the lack of atmosphere does that mean the lunar surface temperatures during the first hours of a Lunar Morning are not very hot because it takes time to heat the lunar surface because of the lack of convection of thermal energy?

Please provide sources that back up your answers wherever possible.

Thank you

Apr 23, 2024
Visit site
Hi

I understand that temperatures can vary significantly between lunar night and lunar daylight but my question is this.

Because of the absence of convection of thermal energy due to the lack of atmosphere does that mean the lunar surface temperatures during the first hours of a Lunar Morning are not very hot because it takes time to heat the lunar surface because of the lack of convection of thermal energy?

Please provide sources that back up your answers wherever possible.

Thank you
Yes, that's absolutely right. At the moon's equator the surface temperature can rise to 120C but they fall back to about -130C as the night progresses so, yes, as lunar dawn breaks the surface is very cold. However it warms very quickly in the blazing sun, there are no clouds on the moon!