The opposite of matter/antimatter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shyland

Was thinking about the universe and how it is expanding. Then I was thinking about how gravity is sometimes illustrated as a well. Then it occurred to me that perhaps there is something out there having the opposite effect of gravity and instead of creating a well, it would create a peak. Could these objects accummulate and concentrate their effect? Similar to how matter and antimatter are opposites could there be another class of particals that are the opposites of matter and antimatter? Perhaps these objects had been created after the cooling of the big bang and the formation of the basic elements and the continual creation of these objects could help explain the reversal of the slowing expansion of the universe to one that is now accelerating?<br /><br />Just a thought. Look forward to reading some feedback.

V

vandivx

'creating a peak' would of course mean antigravitation, that is repulsion between our traditional and this new kind of matter<br /><br />antimatter is opposite to matter only 'electrically', that is only in so far as electric charge goes, the antiparticles gravitate same as particles do<br /><br />there is no experimental evidence whatsoever of some other matter as you suggest, one that would be repulsed from our matter <br />I assume that electrically this hypothetical matter would be the same, perhaps its particles would be of the opposite charge to our 'normal' particles, that is the multitude of their protons would be negatively charged and so the hypothetical matter would anihilate in contact with our matter but the gravitational repulsion would keep the whole universe from anihilating by keeping the two matters safely at bay appart from odd meeting at the interface... except that there is no evidence whatsoever of any such 'interface' where some anihilation should take place<br /><br />I have given some thought to such things but the speculation you talk about like that BB and expansion of universe I don't see as fruitfull, only way to get anywhere as I see it is to develop that inital idea to the stage where some such solution will fall out of it by itself so to speak, not try to speculate beforehand of the big picture, I just don't think you get results that way but only fantasy<br /><br />also, you seem to be locked into this mode where the solution for everything is a 'new particle', in the style of hayday of particle physics some 50 yrs ago when indeed it did pay off but not always (gravitons, magnetic monopoles, Higgs particles, anybody?)<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

I

ittiz

I think the correct name for it would be negative matter since it would arise from negative energy. There would probably two types (negative matter and negative antimatter), but maybe not since not a lot is known about negative energy.

D

djtt

i feel gravity is universal, as in, concerning this universe it is..<br />anti gravity may be possible, but not naturally, without any manipulation

A

aidan13791

I think that either dark energy or dark matter has some properties opposite to gravity.

M

MeteorWayne

Why? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

Dark energy, maybe... Dark Matter properties and the resultant observations, however, <i><b>are</b></i> due to gravity. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

A

aidan13791

Yes, I just re-read up on it. It is dark energy. Dark energy homogenously fills space, and exerts pressure, which in turn causes the universe to expand and to accelerate. Dark energy creates an equilibrium to prevent gravity from causing the universe to contract. However, the dark energy creates an unstable eqilibrium, which overcomes gravity and causes expansion and acceleration. Since it is there to overcome or equal gravity, we must assume that it has some properties opposite to gravity.

D

derekmcd

I wouldn't assume dark energy to have properties opposite to gravity. That lends to the thinking that it is a force directly interacting against gravity. I believe under the current working theory, that dark energy is a force so abundant it simply overcomes the feeble force of gravity. There are no interactions between the two negating or nullifying gravity. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

V

vandivx

one problem I see with the ideas in this thread is that it piles up old ideas but doesn't bring in new ones, I mean that we have matter and antimatter (as far as particles go anyway) and now the idea is simply extended and we speculate on matter opposed to this matter/antimatter... just regurgitating the old stuff <br /><br />physics or better put nature doesn't repeat like that, atoms weren't found to be miniature solar systems like, else we would have it all figured out long ago and wouldn't need any geniuses to do that<br /><br />and negative energy is not some special or different kind of usual 'energy', energy is only one, that is, energy is energy is energy...<br /><br />negative energy simply means energy that is stored up or existing in some 'opposite manner' which means for example if a stretched spring is said to contain energy, than a compressed spring contains negative energy - negative relative to that other state of stretched spring, there is nothing more to that than this<br /><br />the energy stored in the two spring would mutually cancel out if the two springs were let to work against themselves in some appropriate mechanical arrangement, same as (+1)+(-1)=0<br /><br />negative energy means 'opposite' energy which means that such energy can cancel with the positive energy in right circumstances, normally we call energy just energy but when we have energy opposite to that, we call that original energy a positive one <br />positive/negative are relative terms and what is called negative energy is just normal energy if considered alone (ditto for negative energy), that is not relative to other energy (and positive energy is just energy in the context where we don't have energy that woud be negative relative to it)<br /><br />I think I wrote the same thing at least three times here LOL but such rehashing is needed for it to sink in and do away with that notion of mystical 'negative energy' being some special stuff <br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

dragon04

"Dark Energy" seems like such an untidy explanation to me. I'd prefer to think that a simpler explanation lies outside our 4 dimensional space-time that accounts for the phenomenon of an accelerating, exapnding Universe.<br /><br />shyland said :<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Then it occurred to me that perhaps there is something out there having the opposite effect of gravity and instead of creating a well, it would create a peak</font><br /><br />Were this the case, I should think that by now, we would have located, identified, and quantified such a prodigious force if it was located within the 4 dimensional space-tie we're familiar with.<br /><br />The first thing that would come to mind would be a "white hole". <br /><br />However, even then, I'd think it would be a localized phenomenon. Remember that even the supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies (billions of solar masses) still act under the Inverse Square Law in regards to their gravity with respect to mass outside their event horizons.<br /><br />In other words, galactic centers can never suck all the matter in their host galaxy down the Great Cosmic Drain.<br /><br />Based on that, the same would apply to an "anti-gravitic" source. Unless of course, one would be willing to believe that "anti-gravity" works in the exact opposite manner of the Inverse Square Law. A rather bizarre esoteric notion if you ask me.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts