The Return of the Space.com Community!

Aug 22, 2019
Visit site
We’ve waited ten long years to say these two words:

Welcome back!

Do excuse our space dust, but we’ve been in cryosleep for a while. We’re excited to re-open the forums for starfarers across the universe!

Over the last decade, we’ve witnessed a debates around a possibly habitable exoplanet, a ridiculously massive black hole, new ways of looking at our old friend, Pluto, and found out we have a mere 4.5 billion years before our galaxy is gobbled up. It hasn’t exactly been quiet out in space. We’ve spent the last decade reading about and exploring the farthest margins of our galaxy - and beyond. And now, we’re here.

Here, in a place where we can share our fascination with both the observed and speculative reaches of space and physics, where the discovery of microscopic organic material can be discussed as breathlessly as new information on black holes, where you can share and expound upon how some small piece of news has triggered a quantum change in how you see the natural world… we’re here, and we couldn’t be more thrilled.

For those returning, all your old discussions are right where you left them, frozen as if in carbonite. Our crew has taken the liberty of restoring them to their original condition for posterity. You may notice the look and features of the forum have substantially improved from the start of the voyage, and we think you’ll find this new vessel quite to your liking and comfort!

Let’s all get reacquainted!

Post a reply letting us know who you are and what you’ve been up to during the Space forum’s hiatus!

Hi there, great news about the space.com forum coming back, I've even been able to find my old username and register on this new forum :) . The old forum was excellent, with a large number of technically informed contributors, and I must say I was very disappointed when the old forum closed and the decision was taken to move to Facebook for discussions. As experience has shown, that attracted a large number of flat earthers, moon landing conspiracy theorists and other nutjobs :(. Hopefully the signal to noise ratio will be a lot higher on this new forum ;) All the best and I look forward to reading and contributing.

Reactions: jpishgar
Oct 22, 2019
whatsup.space
SpacemanSpiff checking in. Looking forward to a great community, Would be great if we could get some astronaut AMA's and other space industry AMA's to grow the community and our engagement.

Welcome back!

Do excuse our space dust, but we’ve been in cryosleep for a while. We’re excited to re-open the forums for starfarers across the universe!

Over the last decade, we’ve witnessed a debates around a possibly habitable exoplanet, a ridiculously massive black hole, new ways of looking at our old friend, Pluto, and found out we have a mere 4.5 billion years before our galaxy is gobbled up. It hasn’t exactly been quiet out in space. We’ve spent the last decade reading about and exploring the farthest margins of our galaxy - and beyond. And now, we’re here.

Here, in a place where we can share our fascination with both the observed and speculative reaches of space and physics, where the discovery of microscopic organic material can be discussed as breathlessly as new information on black holes, where you can share and expound upon how some small piece of news has triggered a quantum change in how you see the natural world… we’re here, and we couldn’t be more thrilled.

For those returning, all your old discussions are right where you left them, frozen as if in carbonite. Our crew has taken the liberty of restoring them to their original condition for posterity. You may notice the look and features of the forum have substantially improved from the start of the voyage, and we think you’ll find this new vessel quite to your liking and comfort!

Post a reply letting us know who you are and what you’ve been up to during the Space forum’s hiatus!

Thanks for the welcome..

Jan 20, 2020
Visit site

Welcome back!

Glad to see you guys back. I was a big fan of the old site.
I'm a math guy with a big interest in all things space related. Looking forward to participating in the discussions.

Bob Clark

Jan 20, 2020
Visit site
Just realized you guys have the posts from the original forum going back to 2004. Cool. I was interested in reading what were the discussions back then.

Bob Clark

Reactions: sward
Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys.

I'd registered here a few days ago, and had noticed that the userbase, as yet, was painfully small. When Tech Media Networks pulled the plug on us back when, we had over 585k registered members. So, a suggestion:

Obviously you guys have all of the old, legacy information from the site going back to when Imaginova owned it. Hmm. Certainly that must include all member registration information. So here's an idea:

Send a group email to every former registered member. Certainly many of those will bounce back as inactive, but I'd be willing to bet you'll get thousands of former members whose emails are still active. Many of them may return and thus you'd increase your member base significantly.

From your friendly, handy-dandy former Moderator, Yevaud.

Last edited:

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2019
Visit site
Its a lovely idea, and as much as we'd love to sound the horns, sadly due to new information laws, we're not permitted to reach out to old users in that way :)

Aug 22, 2019
Visit site
Yup - as sward mentioned, we'd love to, but can't. Surprisingly, that list of users is a whopping 10 years old! If we emailed a list that old, we'd be putting the forums and site on blast by every spam-catcher in the galaxy. As much as we want to, as much as we'd like to prod the old users, there's no way to safely do so without running afoul of a dozen restrictions and best practices.

You, however, can absolutely reach out to old friends and users that you knew to let them know that the Space.com Forums are back in action, with all the old posts and threads just where you left 'em. It'd be much appreciated, too!

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Ah well, that's a pity, but I see the problems as you'd described. As to letting the word get around, yes, I know a fair number of former members here, I've been letting them know as I run into them,

Last edited:

Welcome back!

Latest posts