The Road

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mee_n_Mac

I went to see the disaster flick "2012" (unexpectedly OK given my low low expectations going in) and in the previews they a trailer for "The Road"to debut later this month it seems. Appeared to be a good post 'pockyclipse' flick about a father leading his son through a disaster torn world in 2029. I haven't read the prize winning book nor even heard of it. From what I can gather it seems to be a serious piece of film and not the usual Hollywood dreck. What's the word out there on it ??

http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/ ... eview-0609

A

a_lost_packet_

I haven't read the book either. What I have heard is readers having good expectations for the movie though. It's on my "See it when you get the chance" list.

10_stone_5

Mee_n_Mac":1g2n49rv said:
What's the word out there on it ??
The word is not good from what I've read.
Who knows, maybe this is one of those split down the middle type films - you either love it or hate it.

G

grokme

I saw the film last night. It is only showing in a limited release right now. Don't know what the plans are for a full release. So, we drove about 40 miles to Dallas to watch it.

I thought it was a very solid rendition of the book. I'm one of those people who usually prefers the book to the movie. In this case, I still do. The book has a profound psychological impact, as do most of Cormac McCarthy's books. The film, though, did a very good job of sticking to just the facts of the book. They didn't cut anything out that I can remember. Some of the horrors of the book were well done in the movie. I can't get into details because I don't want to issue spoilers.

By the way, if you're looking for a clear science message in this movie, there is none. The writer doesn't attempt to set up or explain the cause of the disaster. All we know is that it's a man who woke up in the middle of the night to some huge disaster. It may have been a super volcano or an asteriod or some other act of God. The movie doesn't go into the "how" of what happened. So, we are NOT left with the usual Hollywood misrepresentation of fact.

I think the vision of what it would be like to live in a post apocolypse world is very good. Nothing grows. The food supply is nearly non existent. The man and his son are scrounging around for food each and every moment while they travel across the country looking for the "good" people. The "bad" people are unfortunately more abundant than the good people. Yet the father has dedicated himself to the task.

It's a touching story of what a father would do for his son. It's not a sci fi in my opinion. It's more of a dramatic portrayal of the extremes that survivors go through to just live and to do the best by their children. I think anyone who went would enjoy the film, although it is dark, very dark.

D

drwayne

One measure, at least for me, of a good "post apocalytpic" book is - after reading on it for a while,
you find yourself thinking about the "real world" in a way that is out of the book. I am curious
now to read this one.

Wayne

G

grokme

drwayne":3cej74wl said:
One measure, at least for me, of a good "post apocalytpic" book is - after reading on it for a while,
you find yourself thinking about the "real world" in a way that is out of the book. I am curious
now to read this one.

Wayne

I'm probably a bit too biased. I've read everything Cormac McCarthy has ever published. His stories usually originate from the border region of Texas/Mexico and have something to do with the interaction between the people on both sides of the border. In All the Pretty Horses the story centers around two Texas kids who decide to go down Mexico as farm hands in the 50's and get mixed up in a situation not of their making. Likewise, No Country for Old Men is the story of the Mexico drug trade coming across the border.

The Road is really a departure from his traditional work. We aren't told where in the world the people are, although you assume it's probably North America. We aren't told what happened, and I think that's important because the sole thing that is important is surviving the here and now, not pining for some lost world. McCarthy has a way of showing just how temporal and shallow our current existence is, how it could be wiped away by nature in a flash.

B

Boris_Badenov

I'm bumping this thread because I ran across it while searching for something else.
I wanted to see this movie when it came out but never had the chance. It never made to our local small town theaters & was already gone from the big ones in Phoenix by the time I got there because the movie bombed at the box office. I purchased t when I spotted it at the local grocery store (Walmart didn't even pick it up :p it bombed so bad)
After having prepared to survive a nuclear exchange in the early to mid 80's & also prepared for Y2K I've long been interested in "End of Civilisation" stories. I found this movie to be particularly difficult to watch. Not because it was a bad movie or story, but because the devastation of life was so utterly complete. It took me a couple of tries to watch it start to finish because the hopelessness splashes on you from the screen. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very well done story/movie & where they could have turned it into a cheesy horror movie, they didn't. It's just hard to see all that we are humbled in the manner portrayed in the movie.
Overall, I give it two thumbs up. ;)

A

a_lost_packet_

Thanks for that review. I'll give it a chance the next time I come across it in the DVD section or on the air. I've wanted to see it, but just haven't conveniently come across it yet.

T

tom_hobbes

Not having read the book either I can only relay a few thoughts that occurred to me after viewing the film.

Possible mild spoiler warning in final paragraph

I'm probably reading too much (or inadequately little!) into this, but The Road shares a common factor of lot of recent American science fiction cinema, the threat of sudden catastrophic breakdown down of social and cultural values in the wake of some overwhelming disaster, partly in reaction to 9/11 but possibly also due to anxieties about modern society. Perhaps even a fear that civilisation is far less resilient than we like to imagine. What is it after all but a series of attitudes and technical know how, largely inherited from the sum of all previous generations and which in the most extreme scenario could conceivably be lost in a single generation.

War Of the Worlds was an interesting though frustrating example. The central character had just enough specific know how to survive the initial disaster, though barely enough personal character to keep his family together before the event. He is almost unable to sing a lullaby to his daughter in one of the scenes afterward, let alone set about recreating even the most basic functions of a working society should he survive. In some of the more vicious crowd scenes Spielberg seems to partly suggest that the veneer of civilisation is perilously thin, even though the ending is remorselessly upbeat.

In The Road and in War Of The Worlds, both protagonists are isolated more through their own fears, than selfishness, greed and/or ignorance, and where survival alone is almost impossible and ultimately futile, survival together is just as difficult, fraught with distrust and fear.

In The Road, because the nature of the disaster is never explained we must assume that it's of no importance to the story, we don't need to be sidetracked by the how or why. What we do know is that all resources are scarce, infrastructure has collapsed, and isolated bands of survivors mostly fight each other to possess what little remains. Society is not only breaking down, it is gone.

The father is trying to protect his son while they drift through the desolation, in the wake of further personal tragedy for them, looking for somewhere better, discovering nothing but horror piled upon horror as some of the almost tribal stragglers they encounter have resorted to harvesting the most easily available source of protein remaining.

As they journey, the father is continually nagged by the sense that they are being pursued. The single most palpable element of the story is his continual and sustained state of fear which drives most of the subsequent events through his own actions in response. Only when the father dies does the boy rediscover a semblance of security, community, family and hope. A worthy though not really enjoyable film.

S

Skyskimmer

Nothing like a good old fashion mod merge :roll:

Anyhow I think the reason end of the world scenario's got so much appeal is that you can have an escape the mundane everyday life, without having to go into, so wierd fantasy world. I mean people like mystery and in the modern world there is very little we don't know about and even less that holds our interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.