THE ROCKET RACING LEAGUES DEBUT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rrl2

The Rocket Racing League, from the same guys that made the X Prive is coming soon to your tv set. Rocket Racing will be like NASCAR in the skies. The vehilcles will have a 4 minute boost to use at will realeasing a 20 foot plume of smoke and fire. They will have a four mile race track. There is a lot more that I can't tell you about in this message, but if you are interested it will premier in Arizona 2007.<br /><br />the website is <br /> http://www.rocketracingleague.com <br /><br />Once your there go to multimedia or the image gallery to find videos of test flights, pictures of the planes, digital animations, and news boadcast.

W

why06

WOW!!!!!!<br />That's pretty coool!<br />---I can't wait.I just hope it gets as much publicity as NASCAR.<br /><br />-----It's to frequent the sponsors fail to endorse anything new.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Best of Luck to ya!!!!!!!! (-: <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

S

scottb50

There are 700 Long EZ's out there, I would think this kind of race could be done with those as well as the rockets. Racers wouldn't have to stop every four laps either. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mlorrey

You don't seem to understand the racing structure: it is like Formula 1 racing, where everyone has the same engine, the same car design, though I believe RRL will allow teams to modify the baseline vehicle, as one of the goals of the RRL is to promote competition as a means of technology enhancement.<br /><br />But the baseline is the EZ-Rocket 2.0, not the Long-EZ, or even the current EZ-Rocket, which has only two 400 lb thrust engines. The new model will have one 1500 lb thrust engine from XCOR.<br /><br />And, no, I doubt that a stock Long-EZ could compete on this race course. While the Long-EZ's top speed matches the expected AVERAGE speeds of this race, you cannot reach the top potential speeds of the EZ airframe with a 1500 lb engine on it. <br /><br />I developed the EZ-Rocket sim in X-Plane for XCOR, so my opinion here has some weight: with only 800 lbs thrust, the EZ-Rocket has to climb at at least a 45 degree angle to keep from exceeding its airframe max speed. The EZ-Rocket 1.0 is way beyond the Long-EZ. The 1500 lb thrust version will be another light year jump again, and will require airframe and wing stiffening. <br /><br />BTW: Anybody that wants a copy of my EZ-Rocket Sim can email me at mlorrey@yahoo.com. I'm charging $15.00 per copy. I will include an additional version that is RRL compliant.

C

chriscdc

I think that they said that they would give the teams a baseline vehicle for the first few years, to avoid competitors craft exploding before they had enough experience in building their own engines.

S

scottb50

I didn't mean EZ's competing against the rockets. What I meant was an entirely different class. Though I would think you could stick a turbo-fan in just as well as a rocket. Pit stops might offer less excitement though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mlorrey

Ah, well, in that case, I agree with you. Ideally I'd like to see a turbo-ramjet class or ram-ejector class, as these multi-mode engines are the area that needs more development and commercialization, IMHO.<br /><br />It is unfortunate that, 50 years after ramjet vehicles like the X-10, Navaho, BOMARC proved the high speed and range capabilities of ramjets that we don't see greater use of them.<br /><br />The Long-EZ aircraft itself has a large and dedicated following with their own events. I don't think a race of these aircraft on TV would be nearly as exciting as the Reno air races that already go on annually, or as exciting as the RRL will be. I do wish, though, that the EZ had more fuel capacity. In its current configuration, peak altitude is under 10k feet.

M

mcbethcg

My bet:<br /><br />It won't get enough interest to be viable.

W

why06

Since they are already talking about doing lap races is it also possible that a drag race competition might take place for high speed rockets! <br /><br />also isn't it possible that space companies would sponsor these vehicles.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

M

mlorrey

"can you include an unlimited-time copy of X-Plane with your sim? "<br /><br />heh, no. I could provide an unlicensed demo version of the software, but you'd get a castrated version (allows five minutes of flight at a time) with few other aircraft. The full sim is two CD's, and getting all Earth and Mars high res topography takes up another four CD's.<br /><br />I'm working on putting my X-Plane custom planes site back together. I've decided to specialize in spaceship/rocketplane vehicles. I'll probably put up a version of my X-106 once that is done as well.

R

rubicondsrv

It is now on 1 DVD <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mlorrey

Sure, but I'm not burning to DVD, given the price of DVD-R disks these days. Which reminds me: I need to upgrade my X-Plane. I'm on v 7.0.

R

rubicondsrv

will you be offering xplane 8 versions of your aircraft?<br />when/if you do. I may be interested. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

josh_simonson

>is it also possible that a drag race competition might take place for high speed rockets! <br /><br />That'd be a lot more useful than flying rocket powered aircraft around a bunch of poles. The competition should be for max speed with a certain weight limit, or just max speed period - with no engine restrictions. That'd encourage folks to compete all the way up to orbital velocities, with high-isp engines. <br /><br />The X-prize cup may work it's way in this direction...

S

scottb50

Put the course on the heads-up display, for the pilots and more elaborate graphics for viewers. I doubt it would be much of a live spectator sport though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rocketman5000

Bi modal engines similiar to those in the GTX are the only real way of getting a single stage to orbit with an appreciable payload. The understanding is there, maybe if someone bought the technology like happened to Vasimr things might move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.