The sun is a 'runaway world collector' that can trap passing rogue planets

My guess is only a tiny tiny percentage of rogue worlds travel at the few hundred mph required and on top of that the vectors that would allow even temporary capture are themselves miniscule in number.

It's an interesting idea,
But wouldn't hold my breath on expectations.

ZZTOP

BANNED
Aug 6, 2024
Visit site
The sun could collect rogue planets and hold them at the outskirts of the solar system for millions of years, occasionally trading them with neighboring star Alpha Centauri.

The sun is a 'runaway world collector' that can trap passing rogue planets : Read more
I found this on the net but exactly how would an optical telescope find an interstellar planet that since it is not a star emits no light?

The Euclid space telescope has discovered seven more rogue planets, shining a light on the dark and lonely worlds floating freely through the universe untethered to any star. Without being bound to a star, as the Earth is to the sun, there are no days or years on these planets, which languish in perpetual night.

I Googled the Euclid telescope and since it is optical it should have no ability to find a non illuminated anything

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
My guess is only a tiny tiny percentage of rogue worlds travel at the few hundred mph required and on top of that the vectors that would allow even temporary capture are themselves miniscule in number.

It's an interesting idea,
But wouldn't hold my breath on expectations.

Agreed

We might bemuse ourselves with the idea but in reality most rogue worlds will shoot straight by or through the Solar System.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts