theory of pluto's eliptical orbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rhinorulz

My thery is that pluto os puled twordes the black hole in the center of the galacy. the force the planet gains as it is pulled to black hole is enough to pull it away from the black hole and pluto re-enters its orbit. the momentiom of pluto being pulled inwards creates a sling-shot effect causing the eliptical orbit.<br />Does anyone see any problem with this theory

C

CalliArcale

Well, there are two problems. First of all, Pluto is actually in a very stable orbit. It's not circular, but it's stable, so nothing's messing around with it very much. It's possibly something messed with it sometime in the very distant past, but it's stable now.<br /><br />The second problem is that the black hole at the center of the Milky Way is very very distant. Gravitational attraction decreases proportionally to the inverse square of the distance (the "inverse square rule"), and we're far enough away that it really has no measurable effect on Pluto's orbit. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

V

vogon13

Would the farthest point from the sun for Pluto be in the direction of the black hole in your theory?<br /><br />{before you answer, I should tell you that point in Pluto's orbit is not aligned with the center of the galaxy, in fact, I think it is over 90 degrees away, IIRC}<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

R

rhinorulz

the point clostest to the black hole. might have happend soon after the big bang.

V

vogon13

9 billion years from creation of universe till formation of Pluto.<br /><br />Not sure I would characterize that as 'soon after' . . . . . . <br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

H

harmonicaman

Hmmm...<br /><br />That is a very interesting and creative hypothesis, but I have a couple of problems with it. <br /><br />The Solar System is just too far (about 26,000 light years) from the center of the Milky Way for Pluto to ever have had a personal gravitational relationship with Sgr A (the name of the super-massive object at the center of the galaxy). <br /><br />There are lots of other nearby objects right here in the Orion Arm of the Milky Way that would be much better candidates for causing the kind of perturbations on Pluto that you postulate.<br /><br />In the end, I think the highly elliptic and out-of-plane orbit of the Pluto-Charon system is merely the result of irregularities in the accretion disc of our Solar System as it was forming some 4.56 billion years ago.<br /><br />As the accretion disc formed, the gravity of the central mass (which became our Sun and contains about 98% of the mass of the Solar System) was able to keep most of the commonly orbiting debris organized in a common plane in an intricate ballet of orbital mechanics.<br /><br />Those parts of the accretion disc that were farthest from the Sun, such as the Kuiper Belt objects and the Oort cloud, were much less influenced by the Sun's gravity and the commonly rotating accretion disc; so they are not as tightly organized into such regular orbits as the inner planets and asteroids.<br /><br />I think Pluto has a tilted and elliptical orbital path not because of the gravitational influence of an Extra-solar mass; but because the mass of our own Solar System had such a tenuous influence on Pluto due to its distance from the center of the system during its creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.