Time being an illusion vs. free will

Gry

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
Our perception of time, appears to be an illusion. The possibility of travelling to the future, has apparently already been proven with a particle, and more and more points in the direction of what we experience as past, present and future, in reality takes place at the same time (in the lack of any better terms to put on it).
I'm curious as to how that impacts out sense of having a free will? - I mean.. If there is no such thing as a difference between the past, present & future, our future decisions should be set by the beginning of time, so to speak. - So what do you reckon, - can we still claim to have a free will?..

Our perception of time, appears to be an illusion. The possibility of travelling to the future, has apparently already been proven with a particle, and more and more points in the direction of what we experience as past, present and future, in reality takes place at the same time (in the lack of any better terms to put on it).
I'm curious as to how that impacts out sense of having a free will? - I mean.. If there is no such thing as a difference between the past, present & future, our future decisions should be set by the beginning of time, so to speak. - So what do you reckon, - can we still claim to have a free will?..

I found your definition of time very interesting, you said "Our perception of time, appears to be an illusion. The possibility of travelling to the future, has apparently already been proven with a particle, and more and more points in the direction of what we experience as past, present and future, in reality takes place at the same time (in the lack of any better terms to put on it)."

It appears your definition of time may be based upon experiments observed in quantum mechanics. I regularly observe the Galilean moon events published in astronomical ephemeris tables like Sky & Telescope magazine each month using my telescopes. In the 1670s, astronomers discovered that time was not absolute and the same in the solar system by timing measurements of eclipse events at Jupiter and that light traveled at a finite velocity. Astronomy demonstrated the opposite of your definition of time in this thread, i.e. time is different for different locations in the solar system, events take place at different times, depending upon your frame of reference and location.

How do you reconcile the astronomical observations and measurements of the Galilean moons and time as seen there with your definition of time in this thread?

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site

I think because their are an infinite amount of timelines you always make a choice in the present moment to choose a timeline in the infinite amount of choices.

As an example you chose one job over another and in the present go on that timeline while another version of you chose the other job and went on that other timeline. Sure past,present and future all happen at the same time but their are still an infinite amount of timelines to choose. That is my hypothesis anyway.lol!

Reactions: rod
I think because their are an infinite amount of timelines you always make a choice in the present moment to choose a timeline in the infinite amount of choices.

As an example you chose one job over another and in the present go on that timeline while another version of you chose the other job and went on that other timeline. Sure past,present and future all happen at the same time but their are still an infinite amount of timelines to choose. That is my hypothesis anyway.lol!

Truthseeker007, you said "That is my hypothesis anyway"

I am glad for this type of scientific thinking here :) If there is an infinite amount of timelines, astronomy can test this hypothesis. I go back to the Galilean moons of Jupiter that Galileo observed in the early 1600s that helped overthrow the geocentric astronomy teachers. Sky & Telescope for January 2020 published the Phenomena of Jupiter's Moons from January 1st through 31st. I can use my telescopes and test those predicted times for events like Io occultations at Jupiter.

Do you have available an ephemeris table showing *infinite amount of timelines* for Galilean moon events like Io occultations at Jupiter? Telescope users can test the hypothesis by using the Galilean moon events at Jupiter, that past, present, and future all happen at the same time.

Latest posts