Time Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

janna122003

I don't think if this is the right thread to start my question. But I just wanna ask if do you think that there's a possibility that time machine can be developed? And on what time do you want to back or see the past?

W

weeman

Near light speed travel, and time dilation, can be a form of time travel. However, I don't think that is what Janna has in mind. <br /><br />Like it says in the other thread about time travel, there are several paradoxes that arise with going into the past. Personally, I think it is impossible to go into the future, because it hasn't happened yet. Unless you want to argue that the entire existence of the universe is already predetermined, and our future has already been decided. Otherwise, it is most likely only possible to travel into the past.<br /><br />The grandfather paradox can be solved in two ways. One, is that when you leave this exact time, you leave this universe and enter into a parallel universe. So, when you kill your parents, or destroy the world in the other universe, it won't have any affect on this universe. You can happily travel back to this exact time with no consequences. The other way of solving the grandfather paradox has come fairly recently I believe, through models of quantum mechanics. Some physicists believe that the past is impossible to change, since it has already happened. If you are 100% positive that your father is alive and well in present day, it will be impossible for you to go back and kill him, something in some way will prevent you from killing him. So, this means that we could only go back in time to observe the past, not change it. <br /><br />I believe that time travel is possible, I just don't know how or when. Although, I am not sure what we can really benefit from it. Yes it would be cool to have the power to time travel, but what happens if we were to off set the balance and alter the fate of the universe?!? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

S

spacefire

there's no reason why you can't see in the past, I'm sure a quantum state something will be someday developed for that purpose.<br />I doubt we will ever find a way to travel to the past in form unless we become multidimensional beings in an universe with 7 dimensions where our time is part of the fabric of space, I guess. Or something.<br /><br />I remember reading a bit from an article that says that even if you could travel back in time, you couldn't alter the past because the law of probabilities would work against you at quantum level...again, or something.<br /><br />So if paradoxes cannot be achieved, no matter what, maybe time travel in the past is indeed possible.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>http://asteroid-invasion.blogspot.com</p><p>http://www.solvengineer.com/asteroid-invasion.html </p><p> </p> </div>

C

cdr6

I think to build a time machine we need to know if time is a natural occuring event or is it man-made?<br /><br />EG. A "light year" is the distance light travels in one year. So far so good, we've got the speed of light (natural occurance) but the "year" is what is questionable or this case, "man made". So does time actually exist outside of now?

S

SpeedFreek

In my view, the fact that we choose certain arbitrary calibrations to quantify the thing we call "time" - the interval between events - doesn't change the fact that there <b> is </b> an interval between events.<br /><br />If a radioactive isotope has a half-life that we define as 50 years, the isotope would still take the same amount of "time" to halve it's radioactivity, whether mankind was around to measure it or not. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000">_______________________________________________<br /></font><font size="2"><em>SpeedFreek</em></font> </p> </div>

C

cdr6

Agreed. But is "time" something other than a "calibration" of events? (Lets see...) Is there a "property" of time in the sense that light and/or radiation has properties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts