Top SDC Page Expanding Advertisent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

Space.com/ Imaginova- Um... you might want to tell corporate to drop the new top page expanding advertisement. It is indescribably annoying. Make it go away. Please.

I won't dare to say "otherwise", but if you wonderful guys continue with this 'in your face' advertising, y'all(you all) might find here only those who post such things as: "The extra-terrestrials are here in their ships with Jesus of Nazerath and Wowbagger the Infinite onboard; but they won't let us know of their presence because the US Federal Government is behind it all."

Honestly, it's very annoying.

I know someone has to pay for all this, but there has to be a better way than some 'b' or 'a' popping up in my face everytime I am trying to access a forum, while trying to sell me BULL-HONK and stuff I would never buy.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Gee! What 'abq-farside' said, a month later! :lol: And who received 10 responses from civilians and management! To my 'zero'! :lol:

I'd expect more from a group of people who consider themselves so logical and scientific.

Z

ZenGalacticore

At any rate, thanks for getting rid of the expanding ads. ;)

Zen.

A

abq_farside

Yeah I have noticed the new expanding ads if your mouse gets too close. I think they could put a second or two delay on the rollover - I think that would help a lot. Rolling over by accident and having it expand is very annoying.

M

MeteorWayne

abq_farside":20jnify4 said:
Yeah I have noticed the new expanding ads if your mouse gets too close. I think they could put a second or two delay on the rollover - I think that would help a lot. Rolling over by accident and having it expand is very annoying.

IMHO, a month or two time delay would be far better. Why not leave it as "click if you are interested?"

Why annoy the hell out of potential customers. Ever such ad goes on my list of companies I would NEVER buy anything from.

Z

ZenGalacticore

I've noticed the obnoxious 'in-your-face-expanding-ads' are baaaaaaaaaack!

What gives here? M.Wayne made a great point. That is, if you annoy viewers/customers/posters enough, they will simply go away. Then what do the advertisers have? Nil. That's what. We are not your Neilson Rating, average Joe Average TV viewers, you know!

TV ads from 1955 to the PRESENT, were/are bad enough. But that's a passive audience. This is an inter-active website of knowledge, education, and science inclined individuals. You folks can't expect us to sit by and idly tolerate "Blow-up-in-your-face" advertising.

Find a better way, please. Show girls in bikinis in the right hand margins to sell video games, new tech gadgets, or whatever it is the sponsors are trying to sell. But get rid of the expanding ads.

S

silylene

The expanding ads are very annoying. I am sure it may drive away some first time visitors to SDC.

I would NEVER buy anything from an expanding ad company.

M

MeteorWayne

I actually have a list of companies I will never buy from. The expanding ad ones are just the latest addition.

The list started with annoying and offensive TV ads, companies that advertise every 2 minutes on TV (IOW, they are spending so much on advertising, you just know their customers are paying for it), annoying and offensive radio and newspaper ads, etc.

It also includes companies that have screwed me personally, or done lousy work in the past.

Everyone should have such a list :)

Z

ZenGalacticore

I don't buy from corporations that show people walking in slow motion in order to evoke an emotional response. They really make me physically sick to watch. I've even seen some that have a cat or a dog walking in slow motion. And the accompanying music, oh god, tongue-in-cheek disgust.

And, like Silyene, I would NEVER buy from a co. that uses expanding ads.

A

abq_farside

Damn ^%$ing expanding roll-over *&!^ing Chevy ads! :evil:

Thanks for the vent space.

S

Smersh

Y'all need to move to the UK. I haven't seen any of these expanding ads from here (yet.) Another advantage of the UK is you get the news before people in the US have woken up. (Water on the moon, for example. ;) )

There is another type of annoying ad I've seen though and it's happened a few times when I've gone to make a post. When I click on "reply" or to start a new topic I've been redirected to a video game company's website. I haven't seen that for a while though so maybe Imaginova have dumped it (I hope so. :roll: )

Status
Not open for further replies.