toy scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jdily2

Hi, <br />I'm returning to the hobby after many years away. Alot to learn, started out as a teenager with a 3" refractor (since been lost). I was given a Bushnell 4.5" reflector (675x4.5" voyager model) by a family member with no interest in the hobby. I have a couple of questions about this scope: <br />1. The family member dropped this scope on his living room floor prior to giving it to me. I've used it a couple of times, view of the moon is good, view of Jupiter was dissappointing. I have to believe that the "drop" killed the alignment. Will collimating this scope do much to improve the performance? or will the low quality of this scope make a good collimation a wash? <br />2. The eyepieces that came with the scope are, in my very inexperienced opinion, crappy. Will some higher quality eyepieces improve performance? <br />3. Where the heck can I find a solar filter for this thing? <br />4. Based on initial light reading, this scope is a in the neighborhood of a department store toy - what should I reasonably expect to view with good clarity? I don't want high expectations to kill my love of the hobby and would like to use this scope as a precursor to purchasing a more serious piece of equipment, like an 8 or 10" reflector. <br /><br />I'd be grateful for any input!!!! Thanks

J

jdily2

Thanks for the info CrazyEddie, very much appreciated! More info on this scope: <br /><br />Model # is 78-9675. <br />Focal Length 900mm<br />Focal Ratio f/8<br /><br />Thanks for the links on collimation! Particularly the first one. Very helpful indeed!<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS