Is my scope any good?

Mar 11, 2024
Visit site
Hi. I have a Galileo reflector telescope f800X95mm.

It doesn't have a motorized mount or anything.

I have a Celestron zoom eyepiece focal length 8mm-24mm FOV:40-60°

And I have a 2&3x Barlow.

My question is this. Is this any good or should I look into a better scope???

Jul 4, 2024
Visit site
Hi. I have a Galileo reflector telescope f800X95mm.

It doesn't have a motorized mount or anything.

I have a Celestron zoom eyepiece focal length 8mm-24mm FOV:40-60°

And I have a 2&3x Barlow.

My question is this. Is this any good or should I look into a better scope???
Your current setup has both strengths and limitations. Here's a breakdown of what you have and what it offers, along with some recommendations based on your interests:

Telescope: Galileo Reflector f800X95mm​

• Aperture (95mm): The aperture of 95mm (3.74 inches) is decent for beginners and allows you to see the Moon, planets like Jupiter and Saturn, and some brighter deep-sky objects such as star clusters and nebulae.
  • Focal Length (800mm): This gives you a focal ratio of around f/8.4, which is relatively versatile and suitable for both planetary and some deep-sky observations.

Eyepiece: Celestron Zoom Eyepiece (8mm-24mm)​

• Zoom Range: The 8mm-24mm zoom range offers flexibility in magnification without needing to switch eyepieces constantly.
  • Field of View (FOV): A FOV of 40-60° is reasonable, although it may feel narrow at the higher focal lengths.

Barlow Lenses: 2x and 3x​

• Increased Magnification: The Barlow lenses effectively double or triple the magnification of any eyepiece, which is useful for observing planets and the Moon in greater detail.

Pros of Your Current Setup:​

• Versatility: With the zoom eyepiece and Barlow lenses, you have a wide range of magnification options.
  • Portability: Your setup is likely lightweight and easy to transport, making it convenient for stargazing trips.

Cons of Your Current Setup:​

• Mount Stability: Without a motorized or high-quality manual mount, tracking objects at high magnification can be challenging. This can make viewing more frustrating, especially for beginners.
  • Aperture Limitation: While 95mm is decent, larger apertures collect more light, making faint objects more visible and providing more detailed views of celestial objects.

Recommendations:​

1. Improved Mount: Consider upgrading to a sturdier manual mount or a motorized mount to enhance tracking stability.
  2. Larger Aperture Telescope: If you find yourself wanting more detailed views of faint deep-sky objects, you might want to consider a telescope with a larger aperture (e.g., 150mm or 200mm).
  3. Additional Eyepieces: While your zoom eyepiece is versatile, having fixed focal length eyepieces can provide sharper and clearer views. For example, adding a high-quality 10mm or 25mm eyepiece could enhance your viewing experience.

Latest posts