Tragic question

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shuttle2moon

What would happen if the shuttle fell off the transport aircraft? I know that there is a way that the shuttle can be controlled remotely, but is there any contingancy plan to activate this should somthing tragic happen?<br /><br />I know NASA has several layers of redundancy and I was just curious is all.........

M

mrmorris

<font color="yellow">"...is there any contingancy plan to activate this should somthing tragic happen?"</font><br /><br />No. The shuttle is not called the flying brick for nothing. If it were to fall from the height and speed the 747 flies, it would fall pretty much straight down and make a shuttle-shaped hole in the ground... period. Contingency plans for such an event would be on the order of sending out a bunch of people and dump trucks to start cleaning up the pieces.

S

shuttle_rtf

Basically what Mr Morris said....although I've got a feeling you're thinking along the lines of Enterprise's landing tests off the back of a 747.<br /><br />Of course, that involved the SCA doing a dive/steep descent to get some clearance. If an Orbiter "fell off" it's likely take out the SCA if it was an accident.............<br /><br />.....Also NASA Orbiters can't be remote controlled. Only Buran could land herself (unmanned) - although Hale's said he's looking into it in case of a STS-300 type senario.

L

Leovinus

My guess is that both craft would be destroyed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.